Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times

Advertisements

When it's sunny there, it's really sunny. I've never seen clearer days than I have around Carmel. It's sunnier of course out in the Carmel Valley where the weather is great. The area has a feel all to its own. I grew up on the beach in Southern Cal and the two seem quite different to me. One thing could be the types of trees. La Jolla is the only place in Southern Cal South of Santa Barbara I can think of as comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,670,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
LOL! And back in the 60s when I was stationed there, Fort Ord had its own, private fog bank. Drive out the main gate - sunshine. Drive in the main gate - fog.

Go figure! Musta been them dang micro-climates. Either that or the military was messin' with Mother Nature.

If you drive over to the back of Fort Ord near East Garrison, it was Sunny. Drive over toward Laguna Seca, it was Sunny all the way.

I lived in Stilwell Park housing in Fort Ord when my Dad was stationed there. Off Gigling Road & North/South Road.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:46 AM

17,645 posts, read 22,670,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
When it comes to sunshine that varies based on micro-climates both in Santa Cruz and Monterey. for example Monterey has a sunbelt which gets much more sun than places such as Pacific Grove, Carmel and Marina. See this post describing the sunbelt: http://www.city-data.com/forum/calif...y-sunbelt.html

Likewise Santa Cruz has sunnier parts and a distinct fog line which locals are aware of when looking into rentals/real estate. In general terms neither is always sunnier than the other however.

Derek
When i was a young'un living in Fort Ord, my friends & i hiked over by Seaside Beach to go swimmin'. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the Cold doesn't bother the young.

It was behind Granite Construction's sand retrieval operation close to the beach.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:12 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC99 View Post
I've heard at least Santa Cruz and Capitola referred to as a little slice of the South in NorCal. I know the ocean there is every bit as cold as any Northern beach, so swimming is out...but the Monterey Bay seems to make the climate sunnier and warmer, like something out of Southern California. So, I was wondering if that area seems more like Southern California culturally and in appearance and overall feel...and maybe in terms of how the people act as well.
At which beaches anywhere in California is the water warm enough to swim without a wetsuit? I know they showed David Hasselhoff swimming and not dying, but the water anywhere on the west coast is hypothermia cold.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,764 times
that's just not true.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
At which beaches anywhere in California is the water warm enough to swim without a wetsuit? I know they showed David Hasselhoff swimming and not dying, but the water anywhere on the west coast is hypothermia cold.
Nah, its very easy to surf and swim in SoCal without a wetsuit. When the water is in the upper 60s its very comfortable. I did this countless times while growing up there. Surfers only wear rashguards during the warmer months and are out there for hours. I can remember doing this many times as the sun was just coming up and as well as when it was setting.

Since you are from Hawaii you are used to the tropical bathtub water. But if you have ever swam in a pool competitively or even for extended periods doing laps you would realize that optimal swimming temps are on the cooler side, otherwise you start sweating and its uncomfortable. Now if you are just laying around then yeah. But when excerising no need for jacuzzi temps. Likewise Hawaii in the Summer is too warm for me. I prefer the water a little cooler than that for being active.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-20-2011 at 07:42 PM..

Old 09-20-2011, 07:35 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,451,232 times
Quote:
Nah, its very easy to surf and swim in SoCal without a wetsuit. When the water is in the upper 60s its very comfortable. I did it countless times while growing there. Surfer only wear rashguards during the warmer months and are out there for hours. I can remember doing this as the sun was just coming up.

Since you are from Hawaii you are used to the tropical bathtub water. But if you have ever swam in a pool competitively or even for extended periods doing laps you would realize that optimal swimming temps are on the cooler side, otherwise you start sweating and its uncomfortable. Now if you are just laying around then yeah. But when excerising no need for jacuzzi temps. Likewise Hawaii in the Summer is too warm for me. I prefer the water a little cooler than that.

Derek
Well, I'm from the Caribbean and spent 15 years in Texas before coming to Hawaii. So Hawaii water is cold for me, and I can't stay in that long, even boogieboarding. You can get hypothermia even with water temp in the 70s!

Old 09-20-2011, 07:47 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,723,942 times
Quote:
Well, I'm from the Caribbean and spent 15 years in Texas before coming to Hawaii. So Hawaii water is cold for me, and I can't stay in that long, even boogieboarding. You can get hypothermia even with water temp in the 70s!
Haha, yeah I guess it is relaltive to what you are used to. I bet you freeze when you jump into some pools as well. I prefer low 70s for lap swimming. The majority of ppl from CA as well as tourist who visit can easily handle swimming with no wetsuits. They do it every summer by the millions.

Derek

Old 09-20-2011, 07:56 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Nah, its very easy to surf and swim in SoCal without a wetsuit. When the water is in the upper 60s its very comfortable. I did this countless times while growing up there. Surfers only wear rashguards during the warmer months and are out there for hours. I can remember doing this many times as the sun was just coming up and as well as when it was setting.
I used to spend hours at a time in the water along the South Coast with no wetsuit during much of the year. You get used to it after about 5 minutes. I found it easier swimming and submerging under waves without one. I'm not sure I could do that in Northern CA though. It's a bit too chilly.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,855,764 times
Quote:
I was in the Caribbean some years ago and the water was way too warm.
When it's that hot out, i want to plunge into cold water ... not bath water.
That said, i loved the Caribbean.
And that clear blue, green and turquoise water is amazing no matter that it's too warm for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California