Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:25 AM

236 posts, read 442,075 times

Advertisements

I meant to say we have heart here not hard. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 09:41 PM

26 posts, read 194,004 times
Obviously, not all the people in Bakersfield are white trash. (Spend much time in Oildale?) And certainly, the many trailer parks are not the only downside. There's lots of illegal immigrants, gangs, and drug labs, too. My father in law is a cop there.
But let's be honest. With the housing prices as low as they are, it's going to attract a certain type.
I have family there, and they are sooo ready to leave. Bakersfield, Palmdale, Lancaster...I have lived in some of these towns (not willingly) and spent time in others, my husband spent a great deal of his childhood in Bakersfield and he says it, too. (He told me the high school nickname.) People come on here for honest opinions...this is mine. If you love it and you are happy, fabulous for you. Didn't mean to offend.
But I would NEVER move there.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 PM

13 posts, read 58,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
There are numerous horse ranches here in Humboldt county, dairy and horses are common here. The motto on a sign for McKinleyville is, " Welcom to McKinleyville Where horses have the right of way " . There are still rodeos in most of the towns here, The price of property is not too outrageous compared to the rest of the state and McKinleyville is on the coast and unincorporated, there is also Freshwater, Big Lagoon and Orick to the north of us. Acreage is easy to find here, even in McK and Arcata is just to the south between us and Eureka and it has a large agricultural section called the Arcata Bottoms . If you have Google earth use it to check out the area and you will see how much of Mck and the communities north of here are undeveloped. There are only 120,000 plus people in the whole county and Eureka is the largest city at 28,000 and has two hospitals, Fortuna has one and so does Arcata. I am always seeing people riding there horse on the beach and the trails in town.
I hope I'm doing this right-don't mean to be hyjacking the thread, but you responded to a question about affordable CA. towns and friendly towns. Your reply caught my attention. Can you give some idea of the rental rates there? I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Generally speaking, wannabecooler, craigslist is your best source of cheaper, less commercialized apt rentals. In the case of that area, both craigslist and the newspaper ads can be a bit misleading ..... there are a lot of real estate agents doing the ol' bait and switch, and also people who try to get you to pay for a list of apartments.

How many rooms do you need? I tried looking for a studio at one time, but my timing was bad .... I think you can still find an occasional studio for $500 in Eureka or some of the villages south of it ..... but since this is a college and druggie area, landlords are cautious and want quite a bit up front.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
There are 2 bedroom apartments right in my neighborhood that start at the $700 range and they allow dogs. A 3 bedroom house can start at the $1200 range. I take care of the yard of a duplex and the 3 bedroom side goes for $1100 and the one bedroom studio side goes for $650. Home prices and rents are always a lot higher in Arcata due to it being a college town and in Eureka because it has the bulk of the employers and people like to live where they work. McKinleyville is constantly growing with new homes, I just found out yesterday that another tract of 200 or so home is going in in the center of town.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 PM

12 posts, read 47,735 times
A good number of rentals in both Eureka and Arcata become "grow" houses. Not usually what a landlord wants. If you have a job and look halfway responsible you can find good deals. We own a rental in a very nice part of Eureka. 2br/1bath nice 1950's home in great condition. Hardwood floors and fireplace. Has an extra little sunroom and a finished 1 room (10X12) building on the back of the lot. We just raised the rent to $875 but could get $1,100. We rent by word of mouth only.

I would rent whatever you can find with a 6 month least at most. It won't take you too long to find a better deal and better place once you are here.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 7,278 times
We bought a second home in CCity before you posted this message. At the time, the cost of homes and property was sky high. We love CCity, but I am concerned about care for my horses (minis, but not too mini) and care for ourselves, as we are in our 50's and need good access. Advice?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

350 posts, read 1,117,717 times
Check out Kingsburg in the Central Valley. Its located close to the Kings River, definitely has the Mayberry feel to it.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:30 AM

268 posts, read 900,365 times
I like Ojai and Santa Paula.

Palm Springs is nice too, reminds me of Florida.

Carmel is a Jewel... and Paso Robles is excellent place to raise a family.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 9,071 times
Look north. Fallbrook (as mentioned by someone else) is the skinhead capital of CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California