Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times

Advertisements

Which city has more honest and good people between new york and L.A.. For example if you lost your iphone, which city do you think you have more chance of people finding the phone and returning it or handing it to security etc?

What are your experiences and opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:32 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
Just don't lose it in Redwood City.

How Apple Lost the iPhone 4

Old 11-22-2011, 02:55 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
I would say your chances are about equal in both cities of getting your iPhone back. There are good and bad people everywhere in about equal percentages.

Where you would have a significantly better chance of getting the phone back is in a very small town. Why? Because everyone knows everyone else in a small town, so if you lose something, the person who finds it probably already knows it's yours. And if they kept it, everyone else would notice they suddenly had an iPhone? Uh oh...

In other words, it has less to do with how many "good" people there are in a place, than in how likely it is the person finding it would get caught. In a big city, where everyone feels anonymous? Then the bad side in some people is more likely to come out. But in a small town, where they're your next door neighbor? If they want to survive in that town, they better suppress that bad side, and do the right thing!

Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Based on personal experiences: NYC

When I was in Hollywood a few years ago, a friend of mine dropped her iPhone at a club. She ended up getting it back the next day, but only when she forked over $50 to the dude who 'found' it

When I was in NYC last summer, I was drunk and barhopping and left my Android phone at the bar. As I was walking out to catch a cab, this big guy ran out after me to give it to me before I could even hail a cab.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:48 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
When I was in Hollywood a few years ago, a friend of mine dropped her iPhone at a club. She ended up getting it back the next day, but only when she forked over $50 to the dude who 'found' it
I would have given him the $50 that he was asking for...Only I wouldn't have handed it to him. I would have reached down his esophagus and placed it in his stomach.

Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I would have given him the $50 that he was asking for...Only I wouldn't have handed it to him. I would have reached down his esophagus and placed it in his stomach.
HA HAA HA! That a boy!

I would go with LA, but probably in the San Fernando Valley. Hollywood, Downtown, and West LA are urban and people there more money focused. The valley suburbanites are more friendly.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 AM

87 posts, read 236,304 times
L.A. is more "honest".

I was in a cab in NYC and told the guy i was running into the corner store to grab a cold one. When I came out I said "Glad you didn't leave I left my phone in here." I was saying it as I was opening the door. I was opening the door and he was hearing every word I was saying he put the pedal to the metal and took off. 3 weeks later my replacement phone was pick pocketed. Yes, stolen right out of my pocket.

The losers in NYC are MUCH greater at playing the lowlife game. Trust me.

I lived in L.A. and NYC.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I would go with LA, but probably in the San Fernando Valley. Hollywood, Downtown, and West LA are urban and people there more money focused. The valley suburbanites are more friendly.
Good choice. In the north valley especially, the streets are wider, the parking lots bigger and there is less traffic (and crowds) in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California