Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,084 times

Advertisements

To make a long story short, I spent two years at ASU an absolutely gigantic party school with a student body in the tens of thousands completely lost half the time only to end up enlisting in the Army because by that point I was just throwing away money. Now I'm a little under a year away from my ETS date, needless to say I don't want to make the same mistake of attending another school where you're just another number in their computers.

Why go back to Cali one might question of me? Because regardless of the state's numerous faults, it still has a university system that other states can only dream of with some of the top schools in the nation. Is there a more...lets say personalized school where you the faculty aren't too busy dealing with 500 other students to help you out? That's the kind of college experience I'm now looking for? I'm starting to do some research and maybe applications soon, but I'm really only somewhat familiar with the gargantuan UC System and I am basically willing to move anywhere in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM

113 posts, read 252,341 times
Tell us what kind of career you want and I will see if I can help with the school choice. You were in the military. Will you have military funding? Will you be able to use the yellow ribbon award?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Trying to finish my degree in Finance, I'll have access to the Post 9/11 GI Bill along with the little perks that come with it like a housing allowance based on CA BAH rates. And I have no idea what the Yellow Ribbon Award is...

Old 01-05-2012, 09:06 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
I doubt that you'll find any university in the UC or CSU systems where you don't feel like another number. Even the smallest of the CSU campuses (Channel Islands in Camarillo) has more than 3,300 students. The word college means a "community of scholars", which seems impossible to realize at any school that is larger than a small city.

Fortunately, California is home to one of the best colleges in the entire country, one of a tiny handful where a truly classical education can be obtained - Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula. It's a Catholic college devoted to the Great Books and the Socratic method. Enrollment is just under 400. Faculty to student ratio is 1:11. There is one degree, so everyone on campus is a colleague. The professors are brilliant and generous with their time. From the website:

"Thomas Aquinas College defines itself in terms of liberal education and is concerned exclusively with such education. That phrase itself may suggest different notions to different people, but there is one traditional meaning thereof that the College intends to signify, and to which it adheres when it identifies itself as dedicated to liberal education.

According to this understanding, the term liberal in the context is derived from the Latin adjective liber meaning free. Used substantively, liberi signifies free men or the sons of free men. Clearly, then, education denominated liberal will be so named because of some connection seen and implied between such education and human freedom.

What is here implied by the adjective is, however, not education denominated liberal because it flows from a spirit that is free in the sense of uncommitted, unbound to principle, approving everything and excluding nothing; rather, it refers to its end, or purpose. The kind of education here envisioned is called liberal because it is ordered to freedom as to its goal; it is called liberal, in other words, because its intended effect is the genuinely free person."

Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
I went to Caltech. I highly recommend it. I think there were only 200 people in my graduating class.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I doubt that you'll find any university in the UC or CSU systems where you don't feel like another number. Even the smallest of the CSU campuses (Channel Islands in Camarillo) has more than 3,300 students. The word college means a "community of scholars", which seems impossible to realize at any school that is larger than a small city.

Fortunately, California is home to one of the best colleges in the entire country, one of a tiny handful where a truly classical education can be obtained - Thomas Aquinas College in Santa Paula. It's a Catholic college devoted to the Great Books and the Socratic method. Enrollment is just under 400. Faculty to student ratio is 1:11. There is one degree, so everyone on campus is a colleague. The professors are brilliant and generous with their time. From the website:

"Thomas Aquinas College defines itself in terms of liberal education and is concerned exclusively with such education. That phrase itself may suggest different notions to different people, but there is one traditional meaning thereof that the College intends to signify, and to which it adheres when it identifies itself as dedicated to liberal education.

According to this understanding, the term liberal in the context is derived from the Latin adjective liber meaning free. Used substantively, liberi signifies free men or the sons of free men. Clearly, then, education denominated liberal will be so named because of some connection seen and implied between such education and human freedom.

What is here implied by the adjective is, however, not education denominated liberal because it flows from a spirit that is free in the sense of uncommitted, unbound to principle, approving everything and excluding nothing; rather, it refers to its end, or purpose. The kind of education here envisioned is called liberal because it is ordered to freedom as to its goal; it is called liberal, in other words, because its intended effect is the genuinely free person."
Imagine if all educational institutions in this country (beginning with grade school) were similarly oriented.
Now that would be cool!

Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post

This school looks interesting, but one degree? I'm going to have to find out what that entails.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,828 times
Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name?

Go to a trade school...become a plumber, auto mechanic or electrician,,you will earn way more money and have a deep sense of accomplishment and have job security and probably make more money over a long career.

Cheers!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
I went to Univ of Redlands and had a very similar experience to what you are looking for.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:29 PM

Anyone have any experience with UC Irvine or UC Riverside before? I've been looking into the UCs and they seem to have a good student to faculty ratio. Having never been to Irvine or Riverside, is it a place where a young single guy can do well in? Or are they more of a more family oriented town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California