Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 10:46 AM

20 posts, read 47,831 times

Advertisements

We are a young family that is considering moving to CA and originally had the Temecula area in mind but read a post about central CA and how it has more to offer in terms of natual beauty and outdoor acitivities. We do not know much about CA and would love to be enlightened a little, especially from anyone who has moved from the midwest.
THE LIST:
good schools
an hour or so from the ocean
FRESH AIR
an hour or so from kayaking/hiking/mountains
affordable living
great community/lots of families/kids sports etc.
and maybe a town with plenty of parks and trees

Any towns that come to mind? We really want to raise our children in an area that offers good outdoor living. Thanks a ton in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 01:29 PM

98 posts, read 237,931 times
I was born, raised, and lived 33 years in Central California (Fresno area), but moved to Colorado over the summer. Taking the nearby ocean criteria out, I can tell you that Fort Collins, Colorado matches every other one of your criteria. The schools here are fantastic, Rocky Mountain National Park is just an hour up the road, rivers for kayaking/floating nearby, the air is great, it's much more affordable then California, there are fabulous parks here, and so many activities for children. We moved here specifically to give our children a better quality of life, and couldn't be happier.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

110 posts, read 295,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Nut View Post
We are a young family that is considering moving to CA and originally had the Temecula area in mind but read a post about central CA and how it has more to offer in terms of natual beauty and outdoor acitivities. We do not know much about CA and would love to be enlightened a little, especially from anyone who has moved from the midwest.
THE LIST:
good schools
FRESH AIR
affordable living

Any towns that come to mind? We really want to raise our children in an area that offers good outdoor living. Thanks a ton in advance.
I live in Fresno. Before I moved here, I lived in San Diego, Houston, and New York.

You can take fresh air off of your list if you're considering either SoCal or the Central Valley. Neither place has good air. The Central Valley is probably worse than SoCal in that regard. Further south, in OC and San Diego, the air gets better.

SoCal is VERY expensive. Even more so, if you want to get your kids into a decent school. If money is no object, SoCal would be fine for your criteria. If you're on any sort of budget, the Central Valley offers more in the way of affordability. As an example, my rent dropped by approximately $700 when I moved to Fresno, to a neighborhood with comparable schools. Food costs half as much, but utilities are twice as much.

Fresno can be very challenging for employment, especially if you're not degreed. Everyone makes a big stink about unemployment here, but the unemployment rate is substantially higher for those without a college degree. The lower cost of living makes up for some of the economic drawbacks. Most people don't move here by choice. Most have some sort of family connection to the area.

Fresno (and the Valley) has easy access to best California has to offer in terms of natural beauty and outdoor activities. Yosemite and Sequoia Kings Canyon are an hour away. The beach is no more than two hours away. There is fantastic access to fishing, hiking, camping, etc. The same may be true for parts of SoCal, but Fresno wins on outdoor activities.

Fresno loses big time on weather. The heat is oppressive to some. I'm used to the humidity of the east and gulf coasts, so I think the people here are wimps. But there many days with 100+ degrees (but low humidity). The winters are wet (not so much this year) and foggy, albeit not very cold.

If cost is any consideration, then I would rule out SoCal. It's just not affordable for anyone with a family and a moderate income.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,562 times
Quote:
THE LIST:
good schools
FRESH AIR
affordable living

What do you mean by "central California"?
Are you referring to the central valley (not fresh air!) of California or the central coast?
You want to be an hour from the mountains (which mountains?) and an hour from the coast?!
And what do you mean when you say "affordable"?
Are you buying or renting and what can you afford regarding either?

Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
THE LIST:
good schools
FRESH AIR
affordable living

Generally you can figure it is 4 hours from coast to the High Sierra. So, where you pick your town could give you 1 hour to the coast and 3 to the High Sierra, or 3 to the coast and 1 to the High Sierra.

Fresh air puts the kabosh on the Central Valley.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:22 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Sorry.. None of the above.. and that comes from a Midwest person... California is all about compromise... 4 months of hot temps, with 75% Latino communities and poor air and schools that rate poor, with Tule fog in winter, or get out your pocketbook, and welcome to the coast.. On the coast you are looking at real estate 3X or better the equivalent of the typical Midwest.

If you can stand remote living away from all amenities, no jobs and poor rural schools.. then maybe the cost is only 2x Midwest.. Heck even the poor air of the central valley in a place with OK schools is still 2x Midwest costs..
I go from to die for 80 acres, a private pristine lake plus frontage on 2 other lakes, superb forest,15 minuets from a great school, and a vibrant safe town to.. 10 acres in California coastal counties, with an old house and if I do my research and wait wait wait, I can get an OK school and be a half hour from a town with basic amenities and simple low paying jobs... IMO $500 or 600K is entry level, and again expect to make comprimises, assuming you have work lined up..

IMO you have to really want it and then spend years preparing for it... You can do it... IF you are really want it!

For more specific advice from the good knowledgeable folks (not me) best tell them your budget, and define "affordable"..

Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sorry.. None of the above.. and that comes from a Midwest person... California is all about compromise... 4 months of hot temps, with 75% Latino communities and poor air and schools that rate poor, with Tule fog in winter, or get out your pocketbook, and welcome to the coast.. On the coast you are looking at real estate 3X or better the equivalent of the typical Midwest.

If you can stand remote living away from all amenities, no jobs and poor rural schools.. then maybe the cost is only 2x Midwest.. Heck even the poor air of the central valley in a place with OK schools is still 2x Midwest costs..
I go from to die for 80 acres, a private pristine lake plus frontage on 2 other lakes, superb forest,15 minuets from a great school, and a vibrant safe town to.. 10 acres in California coastal counties, with an old house and if I do my research and wait wait wait, I can get an OK school and be a half hour from a town with basic amenities and simple low paying jobs... IMO $500 or 600K is entry level, and again expect to make comprimises, assuming you have work lined up..

IMO you have to really want it and then spend years preparing for it... You can do it... IF you are really want it!

For more specific advice from the good knowledgeable folks (not me) best tell them your budget, and define "affordable"..
All of this is true^^^^

Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,960 times
Quote:
THE LIST:
good schools
FRESH AIR
affordable living

I have lived in the Central Valley (i.e. Lemoore, which is in the San Joaquin Valley section of the valley) and I have to say that hands down, Southern California is the better choice. I was in the military when in the Central Valley and was sooo glad to get to go back to San Diego for my final duty station (NAB Coronado).

The central valley (with the exception of the lush Sacramento Valley section) is a wasteland. The only places in the central valley that I would recommend for anyone to live in would be Visalia (which is just below the Sierra Nevada and Sequoya Nat'l Park), Merced, Manteca, Turlock, and Sacramento.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 PM

123 posts, read 193,437 times
Okay, you really wanted input from someone who was from the midwest....I qualify! Lived in Omaha for 22 years and moved back to California 2 years ago. Have to say that the Midwest is definitely a great place to raise kids.....but as soon as mine were raised and educated, they hightailed it out of Nebraska and then so did my husband and I! One lives in Tahoe and the other in the Central Coast area (San Luis Obispo/Five Cities/Santa Maria)....both absolutely beautiful areas in their own rights.
I grew up in Southern California (Del Mar/Solana Beach) and during all the years in Nebraska I longed to somehow make my way back to California one day....and now I'm here!!!! And very happy I might add! If you are really sure you want to move to California for the outdoors and raising your kids, you should read up on SLO (San Luis Obispo)and the nearby areas....SLO was named the "Happiest Place in America" and it truly does seem to be that way.....not far from the ocean, beautiful rolling hills, small town feel to their downtown area, lots of outdoor activities for all ages, fantastic Farmers Market, gorgeous ranches and vineyards nearby, short drive south to Santa Barbara.
I wouldn't rule out Temecula if that was originally what you were thinking, definitely a lot more populated than the Central Coast area and traffic can be a pain but cost of living may be easier there. Just make sure you've weighed all the pros and cons before making such a big move, especially with younger kids involved.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:10 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathygrl View Post
Okay, you really wanted input from someone who was from the midwest....I qualify! Lived in Omaha for 22 years and moved back to California 2 years ago. Have to say that the Midwest is definitely a great place to raise kids.....but as soon as mine were raised and educated, they hightailed it out of Nebraska and then so did my husband and I! One lives in Tahoe and the other in the Central Coast area (San Luis Obispo/Five Cities/Santa Maria)....both absolutely beautiful areas in their own rights.
I grew up in Southern California (Del Mar/Solana Beach) and during all the years in Nebraska I longed to somehow make my way back to California one day....and now I'm here!!!! And very happy I might add! If you are really sure you want to move to California for the outdoors and raising your kids, you should read up on SLO (San Luis Obispo)and the nearby areas....SLO was named the "Happiest Place in America" and it truly does seem to be that way.....not far from the ocean, beautiful rolling hills, small town feel to their downtown area, lots of outdoor activities for all ages, fantastic Farmers Market, gorgeous ranches and vineyards nearby, short drive south to Santa Barbara.
I wouldn't rule out Temecula if that was originally what you were thinking, definitely a lot more populated than the Central Coast area and traffic can be a pain but cost of living may be easier there. Just make sure you've weighed all the pros and cons before making such a big move, especially with younger kids involved.
You are from Omaha huh? I have a sister in Fremont, which is just outside of there if you know where it is at. Anyway, I grew up in the midwest (i.e. Joplin, MO.) and although I' am not a native californian, I desperately want to get back there.

Texas is great, but I miss the coast and especially the central coast. I know all about the SLO area. In fact, while I was stationed at NAS Lemoore, my favorite surf spot on the weekends was Pismo Beach. I also like Morro Bay and Cambria a lot to.

I can see why SLO is the happiest place in the country; very beautiful lush green Moutains and hills (especially along US 101), a very beautiful coast, and the city of SLO itself is unique in itself. Lot's of history there. SLO is where I plan on retiring (which won't be for another 50 years from now! lol.).

Last edited by Newbe10; 01-27-2012 at 10:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California