Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times

Advertisements

We are a Canadian family considering a relocation to California sometime in the next couple of years. Long story short, my business has had the opportunity to setup a US based office, and this can be done out of any location of our choice. The plan would be open an office at this location first (probably next year) and then relocate and operate the business out of both Toronto and the Cali location.

We are considering the following areas:

San Diego (specifically Del Mar, Poway, Carmel Valley etc.)
Orange County (Irvine, Newport Beach)
Bay Area (Mountain View, Los Altos etc)

About Us:

We are in our early 30's with a 3 year old son. We are a mixed nationality family (white/Vietnamese) Have lived in Vancouver and Toronto. We have enjoyed living in both cities for different reasons, and like California because it offers many of the same benefits with the added benefit of a better climate. We love many of the big cities amenities here in Toronto but we find the pace here a bit too fast, the people a bit cold, and the environment a bit sterile. Vancouver on the other hand, the pace is much too slow - the infrastracture is terrible, and has numerous social problems that make it less attractive as a place to raise children.

What we want: Cultural diversity, a prominent Asian community (good dining and grocery options), specifically Vietnamese culture (can't really go wrong with this in any area), upscale safe community, fantastic schools and kid friendly. Close (less than 30 mins) to good outdoor amenities, including beaches and parks that are not overly crowded. Political neutral area (we would describe ourselves as centrists -not really interested in area that is heavily blue or red where). Excellent shopping and dining offerings, and prefer one where the people are down to earth for the most part. I know some snobbery would be expected in some of these areas, but as long as it's not the prevailing attitude. We'd also like to live in a quiet suburban area but with several urban walkable areas in relatively close distance.

We also have a son who is very interested in hockey, and we'd like to be in area that has a great youth program. Obviously, it won't be as readily available as here in Canada - but I've heard youth hockey in CA is making great strides.

To be honest, I've spent alot of time in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. Scottsdale is pretty much perfect for us with the following exceptions. a.) not diverse enough b.) not a big fan of the political stripes of AZ c.) terribly ranked public schools in the state d.) not near the water e.) I find many people are superficial.

I know we can find the best of both of both worlds in California, just not sure exactly where.

My thoughts on each:

OC: Initially, I was debating SD vs. SF, leaning towards SD - and ruled out OC because I assumed it was too similar and too connected to LA. After reading the forums, it seems OC has better traffic than any of these metros, and that it's newer and cleaner.

Bay Area: Probably still my favourite area the US. Also home to many Canadians who work in the technology sector. Seems to offer everything I love about Vancouver and Toronto - however I wonder if it's actually worth the cost. Seems a home in Silicon Valley is 30-50% more than a home in comparable homes in SD or OC.

SD: On paper, probably one of our top choices. Seems relaxed enough that we can enjoy a slower pace than here. Also alot of interesting urban areas and beach side communities that are easy to access from suburbs. My main concern is that North County seems very spread out, a bit to conservative with the military culture, and also SD does not offer many direct flights to Toronto - which will impact my travel schedule.

Any comments that would help are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Any large metro area is going to have people of all political opinions. But SF is far more liberal than SD or OC are conservative. See: United States presidential election in California, 2008 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The biggest Vietnamese communities in the state are in San Jose and Westminster.

Any of the areas will have a sufficient supply of places to eat and shop.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM

Nobody else?

Old 07-17-2012, 11:58 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Where is your market located? If you locate in OC you have access to SD, LA etc. SD as a business market is more akin to someplace like Pittsburgh or Columbus, so you will probably find yourself limited to that market or driving / flying to LA / SF a lot.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
We are considering the following areas:

San Diego (specifically Del Mar, Poway, Carmel Valley etc.)
Orange County (Irvine, Newport Beach)
Bay Area (Mountain View, Los Altos etc)
I lived in all three areas. I prefer San Diego first and Orange County is a very close second. San Diego is the perfect combination of great beach areas,nice suburban neighborhoods like Tierrasanta & walkable neighborhoods like Hillcrest and North Park.

Orange County comes out ahead if one factors in diversity and access to international flights at LAX. For OC I would stay out of the sterile,forced conformity of the Nazi like HOAs of Irvine. I prefer the Tustin Hills or Cowan Heights area. I would also consider the Sunny Hills area of Fullerton for the 10 ranked schools and easier acess to LAX. Cypress & Los Alamitos are also good for easy beach access and highly ranked schools. As you probably already know,the Vietnamese community in OC is the largest in the US.

With the Bay area one pays more to get less. Unless there is a very high paying employment opportunity unique to the Bay area I would avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post

What we want: Cultural diversity, a prominent Asian community (good dining and grocery options), specifically Vietnamese culture (can't really go wrong with this in any area), upscale safe community, fantastic schools and kid friendly. Close (less than 30 mins) to good outdoor amenities, including beaches and parks that are not overly crowded. Political neutral area (we would describe ourselves as centrists -not really interested in area that is heavily blue or red where). Excellent shopping and dining offerings, and prefer one where the people are down to earth for the most part. I know some snobbery would be expected in some of these areas, but as long as it's not the prevailing attitude. We'd also like to live in a quiet suburban area but with several urban walkable areas in relatively close distance.
There are other areas in the US that will meet these criteria too. Your description of Vietnamese culture + down to earth + hockey + good suburban schools +close to walkable urban areas etc. sounds like St. Paul,MN.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Where's Nullgeo when you need him?

I second Minnesota but if you're going to have a presence in both "Cali" (Colombia?) and Toronto, which seems to be just right for you, why move at all?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM

Great info so far, thanks.

Climate is a big factor for deciding to move as is being close to the mountains and the ocean again. Nothing against St. Paul, but I would rather stay in Toronto. It's pretty much California or bust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California