Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 01:45 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times

Advertisements

We are making a family trip from Portland down to northern CA this summer, and a major stop on the itinerary is the Shasta/Lassen area. This begs a few questions:

1. The kids (pre teen boys) and I are all big volcano buffs, but I haven't been to this area since I was a kid, and they've never been there. What are some really great volcanic sites to see in the region, beyond merely driving around and ooohing and ahhhing at Shasta/Lassen peaks? I've read a little about the region, but figured you guys could really help out here w/some ideas. We are definitely up for some hiking, but probably nothing over about 4 hours and nothing super-strenous (figure easy to moderate hikes).

2. We will be camping in a tent trailer, and would love to stay at one place for the three or so nights that we'll be in the region, and do 1-3 hour drives to whereever we end up sightseeing at. What would be a good "home base" campground in the area? We would require electric, so a primitive sight isn't possible, unfortuantely.

Thanks in advance, friends!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 01:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Lassen National Volcanic Park. Checkout the web site. Lots of great day hikes in the park.

Hopefully the mud pots won't be too dry by the time you get there.

Have fun its a great family trip.

Fishing Shasta Lake on a rented boat is also nice.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Thanks!

One other question - we'll be in the area around the middle of June. Do the mountains still have plenty of snow left at that time, or is it mostly melted (esp. Lassen)? We live in the shadow of Mt. Hood and while she has a decent deal of white, year-round, mid-June still has her with a very significant mantle of snow on here. Just curious as to what Shasta & Lassen look like then.

What are the mud pots like at that time?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
Thanks!

One other question - we'll be in the area around the middle of June. Do the mountains still have plenty of snow left at that time, or is it mostly melted (esp. Lassen)? We live in the shadow of Mt. Hood and while she has a decent deal of white, year-round, mid-June still has her with a very significant mantle of snow on here. Just curious as to what Shasta & Lassen look like then.

What are the mud pots like at that time?
Shasta has glaciers so it stays white all year. this year the white cap will be smaller due to the lower than average snow fall.

Lassen has no glaciers but retains a few small pathes of snow throughout the summer.

Again mud pot activity depends on precipitation. Heavy-good, light-ok.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
If y'all like waterfall's you can hike to them.

Waterfalls Near Redding CA - Burney, McCloud, Mossbrae, Whiskeytown and more, plus Redding CA Real Estate

Years ago we enjoyed the caverns.

Shasta Caverns

Have a wonderful Adventure.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:18 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
I highly recommend hiking to the top of Lassen peak. I suggest looking for a camp ground around Shingletown.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:21 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Make sure you hike Lassen Peak, visit Bumpass Hell, there are seven kinds of volcanos on Lassen Park from plug domes like Lassen, to Strativolcanos and more. I recommend camping at a Butte Creek National Forest Campground located just out of the North East corner of the park, much quieter than the very noisy park campgrounds, free too I think. Hike the Cinder Cone (carry water, very hot) explore the lava tubes, carry flashlights and watch out for Big Foot, eat at Uncle Runts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California