Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,546,929 times

Advertisements

Hi!

About 15 years ago my brother was suggesting to me The Sierra Nevada as an optional retirement place for Hubby and I. (My brother is currently retired in Redding, but Redding gets too hot for me.) He mentioned places like Placerville and Grass Valley.

I was wondering... Have these towns grown a lot in the last 10-15 years? Is it commutable to Sacramento? I've heard something about air pollution in the Sierra Nevada? Is this something new? Is it ozone or particle? When I think "Sierras", I always thought clean air, (hubby and I have asthma)

Do you like living there? Thanks for any insight about life in the Sierra Nevadas...

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 04:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
The Sierra Nevada range is about 500 miles long and 100 miles wide, with lots of different areas, you need to be more specific.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:16 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi!

About 15 years ago my brother was suggesting to me The Sierra Nevada as an optional retirement place for Hubby and I. (My brother is currently retired in Redding, but Redding gets too hot for me.) He mentioned places like Placerville and Grass Valley.

I was wondering... Have these towns grown a lot in the last 10-15 years? Is it commutable to Sacramento? I've heard something about air pollution in the Sierra Nevada? Is this something new? Is it ozone or particle? When I think "Sierras", I always thought clean air, (hubby and I have asthma)

Do you like living there? Thanks for any insight about life in the Sierra Nevadas...

Cheers!
Fairly specific to me.

Yes they have grown slightly since the late 1990's just about every city in California has grown.

Beautiful places, You might want to think about Folsom or El Dorado Hills along HWY50 for commute to Sacramento.

Also all the cities along the I80 and 65 corridors as well. All very nice all within commuting distance of 1 hour if you don't mind traffic and the occasional backup.

I have an Aunt that commuted from Jackson to Sacramento for years. She was a night nurse shift though so the traffic was nothing.

You also might get more info posting in the Sacramento forum.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-19-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 04:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,729,028 times
Any place in the foothills along Hwy 49 from Nevada City south to Sonora are all great places. You can't go wrong. Complete Map of Historic Hwy 49

Old 08-19-2012, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 7,470 times
While Grass Valley and surrounding areas are indeed beautiful, unfortunately the air is not suitable for someone with asthma. Check airnow.gov to get an idea of how poor the air is there.

AIRNow - California Air Quality

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,978,171 times
You may want to consider Mariposa County. The town of Mariposa is a gateway community to Yosemite. The housing stock is very reasonably priced by California standards and the quality of life is excellent. The community is well above the valley so there isn't the air pollution you would find close to urban populations.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:22 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,554,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi!

I like it here. My area has a lot of retirees. Depends what you want.

I live somewhat southeast of Jackson, but I can say this, Jackson is your best bet if you want to live in a small town with a good commute to Sacto. About an hour on 49/16 and traffic is not an issue, unlike HWY 50 and 80.

I like Placerville, but it feels more urban than your typical Serria town. Plus you have to deal with the traffic on HWY 50-not just on the Sacramento side of things but also on the Tahoe side. Summer and winter traffic on 50 can be quite busy on the weekends. Not so with HWY 88/89 (out of Jackson to Tahoe)

Can't say much about Grass Valley, except it is close to Nevada City. NC has been getting a lot of negative press and threads in the past few years.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketch View Post
While Grass Valley and surrounding areas are indeed beautiful, unfortunately the air is not suitable for someone with asthma. Check airnow.gov to get an idea of how poor the air is there.

AIRNow - California Air Quality

That's really disappointing. So many people want to escape the bigger cities for cleaner air, but I guess it just settles in near the foothills huh? That's really too bad.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Any place in the foothills along Hwy 49 from Nevada City south to Sonora are all great places. You can't go wrong. Complete Map of Historic Hwy 49
I'm all for a fun road trip! Sounds like the road is named after the "49ers" eh?

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
You may want to consider Mariposa County. The town of Mariposa is a gateway community to Yosemite. The housing stock is very reasonably priced by California standards and the quality of life is excellent. The community is well above the valley so there isn't the air pollution you would find close to urban populations.
Yosemite is soooo amazing! We went for a day trip after a visit with my brother and came in from the west side. We pulled over to see what everyone was looking at, and it was a view of half dome. We both got a lump in our throats we were so awestruck! Need to spend more time there...so beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California