Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,082 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I'm a fresh grad from CSULB and am stuck between two job offers. I'm really at a loss of which direction to take and would like to seek everyone's advice.

I just received my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Both jobs look appealing to me, one pays significantly more.

A: an internet advertising firm in San Francisco. Pays $35,000.

B: sales rep for non-technical products. Lots of traveling to retail stores.. otherwise work at home. $47,000.

A is appealing to me because it's somewhat in the high-tech field. Leaves plenty of room for growth. In San Francisco - great for marketing opportunities. Challenges me. However, it pays fairly low. I honestly don't mind the low pay, I'm just afraid it may be difficult to live a stable lifestyle in the Bay Area?

B is appealing b/c it pays more. Still seems interesting, I just feel that A might have better opportunities in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 01:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
$35k is amazingly low pay for San Francisco. Can you sleep standing up in a closet?

Old 08-31-2012, 02:00 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,709 times
Gotta say 35K a year in SF, even if just starting, is just too low. Finding even a room in a decent area is very expensive and ya gotta eat, live etc.
If you're just starting out I suggest the higher paying job simply for economic reasons and if you look around for other work it will give you some leverage for better pay. Hopefully it will let you save a few dollars and keep looking in SF if that's what you want to make the transition easier.
That you have two job offers is great!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:03 PM

23,524 posts, read 24,006,421 times
Congrats on your degree!

35K is way too low of a salary for a college graduate in the Bay Area, to be able to live comfortably. Negotiate for a higher salary, or take the other position.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:39 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
For a single young adult if u see quick upside you would be fine in the bay area.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Consider $35,000 in San Francisco to be equal to minimum wage most places, due to the high cost of living there. That is why everyone is warning you away.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:40 PM

376 posts, read 653,526 times
San Francisco are resident here, if you really want the 35K job you can make it work.

You'd have to be fine or able to take the local BART train to work (if your office is near a train station) and be willing to commute from Oakland/Berkeley or somewhere on the BART line. You'd also have to get a room, not your own place, which would be around 600-700 bucks.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:51 AM

570 posts, read 1,729,598 times
i would pick the 35k job because of more upside and you can look for new(better) jobs while working there.. But that position should be 60k+.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:15 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1120A View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm a fresh grad from CSULB and am stuck between two job offers. I'm really at a loss of which direction to take and would like to seek everyone's advice.

I just received my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. Both jobs look appealing to me, one pays significantly more.

A: an internet advertising firm in San Francisco. Pays $35,000.

B: sales rep for non-technical products. Lots of traveling to retail stores.. otherwise work at home. $47,000.

A is appealing to me because it's somewhat in the high-tech field. Leaves plenty of room for growth. In San Francisco - great for marketing opportunities. Challenges me. However, it pays fairly low. I honestly don't mind the low pay, I'm just afraid it may be difficult to live a stable lifestyle in the Bay Area?

B is appealing b/c it pays more. Still seems interesting, I just feel that A might have better opportunities in the future.
I was about to type what you already said. Go with your gut. Option A sounds like it has larger growth potential which means, if you do well at your job, you'll likely move up fast and will eventually surpass the pay of job Option B.

Job B sounds to basically be a dead end. They couldn't pay me enough to do that to my career, especially when you're just starting out.

Listen to your gut.

Pay for Option A is likely lower because demand for the job is higher. Get a roommate if you must. Cut your living expenses where you can, but pay your dues in the better field and you'll quickly move up and be glad you made the right decision for the long term.

Good luck.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
i would pick the 35k job because of more upside and you can look for new(better) jobs while working there.. But that position should be 60k+.
$60k+ for a fresh out of school grad with no experience? Not in my market. I don't know the exact job details, but while $35k sounds low-ish for that area, $60k sounds way too high, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California