Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM

9 posts, read 20,061 times

Advertisements

My husband and I retired a couple of years ago, made a long awaited, long researched (and many times visited) move to So. Idaho from So. California. We tried very hard to blend in: changed our cars plates immediately, bought an old farm in the country where we have worked very hard to bring it back in shape (done the work ourselves - have not altered the exterior), joined and became active in a small church, garden, took a class of interest, have NEVER said "in California we do it like this", etc and yet have not made any Idaho friends. We have never been invited to an Idahoans for coffee, food, etc. They are friendly on the surface, but that's it. We are rather conservative, but are often uncomfortable hearing the blatant bigoted comments made in public. We are now seriously considering where to move where people are truly friendly, no matter where you are from. Oh, and we don't like this wind either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
I found Spokane to be extremely friendly and welcoming, and I DIDN'T change my plates immediately or hide where I was from. I moved into an old neighborhood full of early 1900s homes and full of natives. They welcomed me into their lives.

Yes, a lot of that can be attributed to my good looks and charm, but not all of it.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I don't know but I'm thinking that if I have to hide what state I came from it's not going to be too friendly a place no matter what.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:15 PM

9 posts, read 20,061 times
I agree Ceece - we don't want to have to hide it or make 'excuses' for being from California.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times
This question is far to subjective. For a state to be considered "friendly" could be the result of 2-3 people going out of their way.
Now saying that, and based on my subjective experience, Texas is very outwardly friendly. People wave at each other, open and hold doors for each other, say hi, almost to the point of it being uncomfortable for this Californian.....

Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Default Best Place for Former Californians to Retire To

Simplistically, whenever they think they'll fit in best. Deciding that takes a lot of time and research, a whole bunch of effort and a wing and a prayer. We ended up in a mostly southern area with decided Midwestern overtones. The people have been friendly, welcoming and helpful. I think in part that's just the way they are but also a response to how we are.

And admittedly, my wife had lived close to where we now are for seven years in the past but that was back in the early seventies. I had lived in five or six southern states in my past soul none of this type of society was any mystery to us. However, that was only one of many factors that caused us to choose to live where we ended up.

If you're trying to find the "perfect" place for yourselves, take the time, research and do your homework. Don't be in a hurry to make a snap-decision. Too much rests on it. Travel, visit, enjoy, choose!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM

I would say Spokane was Southern friendly, without the annoying accents, missing teeth, married relatives and Bible Belt foolishness.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM

26,723 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If you're trying to find the "perfect" place for yourselves, take the time, research and do your homework. Don't be in a hurry to make a snap-decision.
Sounds as if they did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerone View Post
My husband and I.... made a long awaited, long researched (and many times visited) move to So. Idaho from So. California.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I would say Spokane was Southern friendly, without the annoying accents, missing teeth, married relatives and Bible Belt foolishness.
But but but, it's still to the west of the infamous 100th meridian of chronic redundancy. That means it's in the brown belt. I like mine green thank you very much. You are welcome to your delusions of grandeur regarding a failing state. I'll just hunker down here in the heartland and be content. We'uns don't need cheerleaders and excuses!

Old 10-16-2012, 06:39 PM

Spokane's pretty green! And the river running through it actually has water in it all year. I love to cheerlead for Spokane. It's actually a livable alternative, unlike some places *cough* Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California