Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
You'd have to tell me specifically what you're talking about? I wasn't here for the Perry thread.
It's clearly stated.

Here's TVC's post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28130302-post124.html

I just noticed that San Antonio is ranked about the same as Fresno, 144 to 146.

Strange that 2 of the top cities in Texas rank with 2 of the worst in CA.

Quote:
Is this not a "poor me" thread about states trying to "lure" California businesses? The point of my post was that companies are looking to operate in cheaper places with lower taxes from all over the country. It's not just states trying to lure companies from California. With the current state of affairs in Washington, everyone is trying to keep as much of their money as they can. I think it's more noticeable in California because the state is constantly ranked among the worst to do business in.

You are new here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Shhhh California thinks small business - job creators need to be heavily taxed and illegal immigrants strengthen the economy.

Don't anyone tell them the truth.
Actually I think the feds control immigration. Lemme check the constitution. Yep, federal control...

Last edited by Senno; 02-25-2013 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
It's clearly stated.

Here's TVC's post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/28130302-post124.html

I just noticed that San Antonio is ranked about the same as Fresno, 144 to 146.

Strange that 2 of the top cities in Texas rank with 2 of the worst in CA.
California is ranked # 1 in the US as a state with Texas right behind them at number 2.

Rankings are what they are. You claim that Fresno and Bakersfield are "2 of the worst cities in CA" and they may be pretty poor places to live, but they obviously produce a lot of product in those towns.

I'd assume a similar assessment would be San Jose ranking ahead of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It's telling to see 9 California cities made that list, while only 4 Texas cities did, yet California has roughly 13 million more residents and a slight lead in GDP.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
California is ranked # 1 in the US as a state with Texas right behind them at number 2.

Rankings are what they are. You claim that Fresno and Bakersfield are "2 of the worst cities in CA" and they may be pretty poor places to live, but they obviously produce a lot of product in those towns.

I'd assume a similar assessment would be San Jose ranking ahead of Los Angeles and San Francisco.

It's telling to see 9 California cities made that list, while only 4 Texas cities did, yet California has roughly 13 million more residents and a slight lead in GDP.
Perhaps some companies could save some time and effort by relocating to the central valley instead of Texas then. Pretty similar places by those metrics.

We do what we can taking care of the poor we have and we don't have control of immigration here. Unless you have a cure for overpopulation?

I live in Fresno btw, and have lived in Bakersfield. /shrug Guess I don't need to move to Texas after all.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Perhaps some companies could save some time and effort by relocating to the central valley instead of Texas then. Pretty similar places by those metrics.
They're not going to free themselves from California's tax and regulatory environment with a move like that.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
They're not going to free themselves from California's tax and regulatory environment with a move like that.
Not everyone feels so constrained. And it is a free country after all...

It's funny to me that Texas crows so much yet Bakersfield and Fresno compete with Dallas and San Antonio according to the metrics.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
When discussing where people are moving to, we should look at a list of 30 cities in the U.S. that give one the best chance of starting over. Note that #1 is Austin Texas, and not even one is in California.

The 30 Best Cities for Starting Over, From Washington, D.C. to Honolulu - The Daily Beast

Gallup Poll brought out a poll of well being

Wellbeing: Hawaii Tops Utah for Nation's Best
And the list of top 10: Wellbeing: Hawaii Tops Utah for Nation's Best

Note on the top 10 states, that California was not on it, but our little state of Montana is #2, and Utah, Colorado, Idaho and North Dakota came in in the top 10.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
we don't have control of immigration here. Unless you have a cure for overpopulation?
We don't have control of immigration here either. As for a cure for overpopulation? Yeah, if you tax them to death, they will leave.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
We don't have control of immigration here either. As for a cure for overpopulation? Yeah, if you tax them to death, they will leave.
Well, some are leaving. The problem is y'all send us back crazy Texans at a 2 for 1 rate...

I guess I will agree with TVC and assume the Texans are coming here for a better standard of living.

Not that hard to imagine if Bakersfield and Dallas are nearly equivalent as are Fresno and San Antone...

Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Well, some are leaving. The problem is y'all send us back crazy Texans at a 2 for 1 rate...

I guess I will agree with TVC and assume the Texans are coming here for a better standard of living.

Not that hard to imagine if Bakersfield and Dallas are nearly equivalent as are Fresno and San Antone...
I'd be interested to see a study on how many people leaving Texas are actual Texans and not former Californians going home, or northerners that can't take the heat?

I wouldn't call them equivalent. Those numbers are based off GDP, but I'd say the quality of life is much higher in Dallas/San Antonio than Bakersfield/Fresno.

I've enjoyed this round of civil debate without put downs and name calling. It's refreshing. Thank you.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California