Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:00 PM

508 posts, read 1,513,381 times

Advertisements

Forum -

I would like to make my first visit to the state of California. You can't believe how hard it has been for me to decide which part of the state to visit and what to do so I am asking for help.

I will probably stay about 5 days or so in Cali which doesn't seem to be nearly enough time to visit both the NoCal and SoCal. So I would like to visit one portion and do a moderate amount of driving. I want to be out and about and not stuck in some car.

I am mostly attracted to the outdoors and would like that to be the focus of my trip. I don't mind occasional stops in cities but for the most part it isn't for me. I would of course love to see the Pacific and go for nice long hikes or walks along side of it. I would like to spend some time in the mountains as well. I don't really like crowds and mostly like the idea of enjoying nature without gobs of people around me. I don't mind roughing it to get to the best spots.

I was thinking of traveling this Sept or Oct when kids go back to school and crowds die down.

What would you recommend for a 5 day visit? Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 07:23 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,442,668 times
Depends on where you are entering, but as an outdoors person, Yosemite is first on your list, also Tahoe, Big Sur, Coast north of San Francisco, perhaps east of Yosemite, highway 395, Mono Lake, Owens Valley, Death Valley.

If you head far north, Redwoods National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
Depends on where you are entering, but as an outdoors person, Yosemite is first on your list, also Tahoe, Big Sur, Coast north of San Francisco, perhaps east of Yosemite, highway 395, Mono Lake, Owens Valley, Death Valley.

If you head far north, Redwoods National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park.
I think I want to stay somewhat close to the coast. I will do Yosemite another time.

How is the coast north of San Fran and Big Sur? Do you like the central coast?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:18 PM

If you are going to do the coast, here is your itinerary, yes, I like the Central Coast, quite scenic and where my grandfather settled about 1905. So, start at Pismo Beach, take a hike in the Pismo Dunes, walk the pier, go to Avila, have breakfast at Fat Cats, walk the pier.
Drive to Montana De Oro State Park, take a hike, go to Morro Bay take a harbor cruise, then drive north slowly stopping at Cayucos and Cambria. May as well visit Hearst Castle. Then continue north find lodging somewhere along the Big Sur Road, Highway 1. walk some beaches, follow the Big Sur river to the ocean.

Drive to Carmel, visit Robinson Jeffers home, it is open on weekends I think. Google his name and read some of his poems first, then the 17 mile drive, the Monterey Aquarium and historic Monterey. Then north on highway 1 past Santa Cruz, visit the Elephant Seals at Ano Nuevo (they are as big as Hippos) then north to SF. Cross the Golden Gate bridge, park on the north side and walk back across the bridge, very kewl. North again, Muir Woods, Bolinas, Pt. Reyes National Park, gotta go to the lighthouse.

North again, you could cut inland a bit for Italian food at Occidental, don't run over the Mayor (he is a chicken) The north again, stop at Fort Ross, Mendocino (My first fiancee broke off our engagement there, it holds a special place in my heart
Fort Bragg, rent kayaks and paddle the harbor. Eat at the fish restaurant on the second floor of a building overlooking Noyo harbor. Then more Redwoods until you get to Ferndale, perfect Victorian homes. Then off to Eureka, take a harbor cruise, and eat at the Somoa Cookhouse, that will knock your socks off. Then north to Redwood National Park. This trip should take three weeks, but it can be condensed.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
If you are going to do the coast, here is your itinerary, yes, I like the Central Coast, quite scenic and where my grandfather settled about 1905. So, start at Pismo Beach, take a hike in the Pismo Dunes, walk the pier, go to Avila, have breakfast at Fat Cats, walk the pier.
Drive to Montana De Oro State Park, take a hike, go to Morro Bay take a harbor cruise, then drive north slowly stopping at Cayucos and Cambria. May as well visit Hearst Castle. Then continue north find lodging somewhere along the Big Sur Road, Highway 1. walk some beaches, follow the Big Sur river to the ocean.

Drive to Carmel, visit Robinson Jeffers home, it is open on weekends I think. Google his name and read some of his poems first, then the 17 mile drive, the Monterey Aquarium and historic Monterey. Then north on highway 1 past Santa Cruz, visit the Elephant Seals at Ano Nuevo (they are as big as Hippos) then north to SF. Cross the Golden Gate bridge, park on the north side and walk back across the bridge, very kewl. North again, Muir Woods, Bolinas, Pt. Reyes National Park, gotta go to the lighthouse.

North again, you could cut inland a bit for Italian food at Occidental, don't run over the Mayor (he is a chicken) The north again, stop at Fort Ross, Mendocino (My first fiancee broke off our engagement there, it holds a special place in my heart
Fort Bragg, rent kayaks and paddle the harbor. Eat at the fish restaurant on the second floor of a building overlooking Noyo harbor. Then more Redwoods until you get to Ferndale, perfect Victorian homes. Then off to Eureka, take a harbor cruise, and eat at the Somoa Cookhouse, that will knock your socks off. Then north to Redwood National Park. This trip should take three weeks, but it can be condensed.
Wow, thanks greatbasin. You are fortunate to live in a state that offers so much variety.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM

98 posts, read 605,335 times
Greatbasinguide gave you quite an awesome itinerary! The only addition is be sure to drive Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Spectacular! I am pretty sure it's in between Fort Bragg and Ferndale so it would be on the route anyhow. Eel River Cafe in Garberville, at the south end of Avenue of the Giants, has a great breakfast. Have fun!

Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
Greatbasinguide gave you quite an awesome itinerary!
I agree. Unfortunately, it is SO awesome, you should trim it down to about one quarter of what he suggested - Maybe even less - In both sights to see and distance to travel. Otherwise, you really will be in the car all day long. You'll be seeing a lot of great scenery on that car ride, but that's where you'll be all day looonnnggg. This is definitely a case of less is more. Otherwise you'll get home feeling like you just did the longest commute of your life. Now that would NOT be a vacation.

Also, September and October actually have some of the best weather along the coast, and a lot of people know this. The kids may be gone but the old folks and their RV's will be out in force. Your ability to travel long distances may be significantly compromised.

BTW, I've camped in Redwoods Nat'l Park. Very nice.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:32 AM

Roadtrips can be classified in two major categories, postholing or fenceline. In postholing you stick to one area and get to know it well. Anywhere along this route would be great for a week or more.
Fencelining, you see a little of a lot of places and make your list for another trip to posthole.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:53 PM

57 posts, read 184,504 times
Come to Mt. Shasta! Lakes, trails, mountains, creeks, etc. Then in just a few hours you can be at the coast and take a drive through the Redwoods.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:30 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,496,314 times
Greatbasinguide is correct in that three weeks would be preferable for making the drive from south to north. I live here in the north near Eureka and made the trip down to Santa Cruz for a meet of a for of Honda ridgeline truck members, I made the trip down on a friday to San Jose and the next day the group of us truck owner drove to Carmel and did 17 mile drive / Pebble beach after meeting in Santa Cruz. That in itself took a day. I came back to San Jose for the night and made the trip back north on Sunday. There is so much to see along this stretch of California coast for a non-native Californian, I grew up in the Bay area and have been up and down the coast and it has taken my 47 years of slow touring to see what I have seen. You will see more than I did in my three days , but five days does not leave you much but for your digital pictures when you get home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California