Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which bay area city is best for a family of 4 with big dog earning 75k/yr and yet close to tech busi
Concord/Walnut Creek 4 57.14%
Sunnyvale 1 14.29%
San Francisco 1 14.29%
San Jose 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 AM

4 posts, read 11,170 times

Advertisements

Background:
My wife and I have 2 young children, a cat, and a giant breed dog. We are actively planning a move from Grand Rapids, MI to somewhere in the bay area in the next 18 months. I am a career entrepreneur making a living through the web and tech. We currently live in an extremely conservative Christian area (Hudsonville, MI) and would like to move to a place that is closer to the tech community and offers more diversity, culture, and liberal thought. At the same time we would like someplace that offers family oriented amenities like farmers markets, parks, and museums. Our main purpose is to find social groups that more closely align with our value system and other areas of interest such as family activities, technology/science, and business. We have lived in West Michigan (WM) all our lives and we are ready to make a change. WM is is a great place to live but has not offered much opportunity in business or diverse social activities.

Our plan:
Our goal is to save $45,000 to cover 12 months rent, a reliable used vehicle, and moving expenses. We plan on selling most of our belongings, and operating our web business in the bay area. Our current net income is about $75,000/yr. We plan on renting indefinitely until we know more about the area and have decided on a place to stay. Commuting will not be an issue as I will work from home or a coffee shop within walking/biking distance. My business is also flexible enough where I could manage a full-time job (if needed) and still maintain the web business income. My wife stays at home with our young children. We are changing our lifestyle from a bloated (big house, big cars, high overhead) lifestyle to a more minimalist lifestyle that is focused on what we feel is important (people and experiences). This is a complete life overhaul.

Our main interest is finding a good/safe school system anywhere in the bay area that offers a reasonable cost of living. We are considering Clayton, South San Jose, Palo Alto (I know it's expensive), and Walnut Creek. Rent appears to range around $1500-$2000 for a 2 bedroom from the ads on craigslist. We really don’t know anyone in the bay area, so needless to say this is a HUGE move for us. We are concerned about connecting with new people, finding a good neighborhood/school system, and finding a place that will accept our giant breed dog.

Any insights on our plan or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mindspinguy; 01-10-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typos/edits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 11:30 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,085 times
Here is a website for you to get a feel for apartments in the area and a website for the Clayton Newspaper. Clayton is a really small town tucked in at the base of Mt. Diablo. It has a really small town feeling. Walnut Creek is larger and has more in terms of shopping, dining, art galleries and a regional theater. Unfortunately, they don't have anything like the BOB. Clayton and Walnut Creek are fairly close together. Good luck!

California apartments and apartment reviews - ApartmentRatings.com

Clayton Pioneer: It's Your Paper

Old 01-10-2010, 11:39 AM

4 posts, read 11,170 times
Thanks for the feedback Archan. We have lived in mostly small towns 40k-population for most our lives. We like the medium towns with shopping, dining, and parks. It would be ideal if we could live within an hours drive to a big city. Towns in Contra Costa county seems to be a good match as it is reasonably close to San Francisco.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,404,085 times
My pleasure. I was born and raised in Concord, which is right between Walnut Creek and Clayton. There are many farmers markets in the area. About a 20 mile drive to Brentwood, you can actually go to orchards and pick your own fruit off the tree! California is the largest agriculture producer in the country.

There is the BART system that will take you from the area right into downtown San Francisco. It is a very nice public transportation system. Can get a little pricey for daily commuters though.

BART - Bay Area Rapid Transit

Old 01-10-2010, 02:52 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,728,065 times
Check out towns on the peninsula between San Francisco and San Jose such as San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos and Redwood City (about 20 - 25 miles from these towns to either SF or San Jose). These towns are all nice safe middle class suburban areas and a little cheaper than Palo Alto. $1500 - $2000 for a 2 bedroom apt is very doable, however the big dog might be a problem.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,411,374 times
To the OP: You realize of course you'll be abandoning a place which has continued to prosper in spite of the recession (e.g. the Grand Rapids Metro) for a place with serious economic problems, a crumbling infrastructure and many serious challenges to confront in the coming decades. But if social environment matters more to you than stability and prosperity, not to mention being in a family friendly environment, I suppose no one will talk you out of it.

Closing thought: Leaving the Grand Rapids Metro is not a prerequisite to achieving your lifestyle overhaul, you could accomplish that in situ without putting your family through the ardors of a 2000 mile plus move.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:55 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,480,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
To the OP: You realize of course you'll be abandoning a place which has continued to prosper in spite of the recession (e.g. the Grand Rapids Metro) for a place with serious economic problems, a crumbling infrastructure and many serious challenges to confront in the coming decades. But if social environment matters more to you than stability and prosperity, not to mention being in a family friendly environment, I suppose no one will talk you out of it.

Closing thought: Leaving the Grand Rapids Metro is not a prerequisite to achieving your lifestyle overhaul, you could accomplish that in situ without putting your family through the ardors of a 2000 mile plus move.
Come on man! Have you ever been to Michigan?! I live close and there are tons of people fleeing Michigan due to their "crumbling" economy. You think your state (CA) is bad? Many are just as bad or worse off.
Why do you constantly forbid anyone to come to California just because you hate it? I hate Indiana with a burning passion but I understand that it fits other people quite well, AND I RESPECT THAT.
Not trying to pick a fight here, but ya know...

Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM

328 posts, read 306,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

I don't think you've ever been to Michigan have you?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 PM

664 posts, read 1,947,147 times
Are you guys prepared to live somewhere with no family support? Is your wife close to her parents/siblings/cousins/friends etc? Just asking because it's really hard without anyone. Not trying to be a downer. Just realize that no matter how much you try to visit or have family visit it's not the same as them being there for the small things like kids concerts at school, etc. If your close to your family, or if your spouse is that may be the hardest hurdle you face.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
Good point about family; cost of living in the Bay Area is also very high (which of course you know), but it goes beyond just high rent. Almost everything (except produce, maybe; love the affordable produce in SF!) is going to be more expensive than where you are now. If you do want to regularly visit family elsewhere just remember to work it into the budget. Flying a family across the country even once a year can add up, and if you're living on $75,000 a year as a family of four that can take a significant chunk out of the budget. I don't mind living away from family, but that was sort of the tipping point for us. I know others who are able to travel more frequently and have the financial means to do it, so for them that's not as much of an issue. At least once you're living in the Bay Area you'll probably have friends and family eager to come visit you in CA, especially when it's cold and snowy back in the Midwest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California