Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
You don't think this is worth getting a bit pissed about? While unusual, every other week a story like this comes about 200k+ payouts for e.g., un-taken vacation pay, overtime, and pensions
Getting all lathered up about random inequities that amount to pennies out of a $2.5 billion budget? Not really. You're allowed to work on changing things you don't think are right without getting pi**ed. Easier on the blood pressure to take it in stride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM

411 posts, read 720,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Getting all lathered up about random inequities that amount to pennies out of a $2.5 billion budget? Not really. You're allowed to work on changing things you don't think are right without getting pi**ed. Easier on the blood pressure to take it in stride.
Uh, here's the thing: while 400k pensions are unusual, high pensions, overtime pay, etc. are bankrupting the state and many state municipalities. Stockton, etc. are going bankrupt because they can't meet pension obligations. The same problem is causing a major fiscal crisis for many other cities/towns in CA and the state of CA at large. This 400k+ pension is one more sample point that represents an actual and very real problem in the state

Old 03-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkup View Post
Uh, here's the thing: while 400k pensions are unusual, high pensions, overtime pay, etc. are bankrupting the state and many state municipalities. Stockton, etc. are going bankrupt because they can't meet pension obligations. The same problem is causing a major fiscal crisis for many other cities/towns in CA and the state of CA at large. This 400k+ pension is one more sample point that represents an actual and very real problem in the state
Worth getting pi**ed about? Answer is still no. Doesn't rate an aneurysm from me. I don't find it strange that people with the position to influence things in their own favor do so. Correct it when you catch it. Then have a beer. Better yet smoke a joint.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
Yet another government employee feasting at the public trough. Still think taxes aren't high enough?

Alameda County supervisors have really taken to heart the adage that government should run like a business — rewarding County Administrator Susan Muranishi with the Wall Street-like wage of $423,664 a year. For the rest of her life.

Alameda County rewards boss: $400k…for life | Matier And Ross | an SFGate.com blog
And stupid liberals are defending this as "free market". It's no free market when the person granting the pay has no skin in the game, and when the money for all these bloated pensions comes due don't have to pony up any of their own money, or be accountable to anyone.

They just raise taxes to pay for it, and if a taxpayer were to refuse (which a shareholder in a free market system could refuse to do) they are punished.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:55 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,576,360 times
Quote:
Worth getting pi**ed about? Answer is still no. Doesn't rate an aneurysm from me. I don't find it strange that people with the position to influence things in their own favor do so. Correct it when you catch it. Then have a beer. Better yet smoke a joint.
And this is why California has the worst credit rating in the nation, PFD Current Credit Ratings, though Illinois is racing California for the title of "worst."

Not only should you find these pensions "strange," you should be outraged. Politicians have a fiduciary duty to serve the state and the taxpayers -- not serve their bank and retirement accounts.

Day of reckoning is fast approaching. Has already arrived for San Bernardino, Stockton, and Detroit.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
And this is why California has the worst credit rating in the nation, PFD Current Credit Ratings, though Illinois is racing California for the title of "worst."

Not only should you find these pensions "strange," you should be outraged. Politicians have a fiduciary duty to serve the state and the taxpayers -- not serve their bank and retirement accounts.

Day of reckoning is fast approaching. Has already arrived for San Bernardino, Stockton, and Detroit.
If you find this kind of thing strange you haven't been paying attention to the history of civilization. You be outraged for me. I'm gonna light one up and drown some worms on the end of my fishing line. Let me know when you get things all fixed up out there.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Not only should you find these pensions "strange," you should be outraged.
Many are.

Quote:
Politicians have a fiduciary duty to serve the state and the taxpayers -- not serve their bank and retirement accounts.
You'd think so, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Fairfield is still trying to recover from their bankruptcy, too. I think Mammoth Lakes declared last summer. Makes you wonder what kind of idiots are running the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California