Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,564 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am 24 year old freelance graphic designer from Chicago, IL. I have dreamed of moving to California since I graduated high school 6 years ago. After 6 years of dreaming, I finally decided on moving to California before the end of the year (my lease will be up in October 2013). I earn roughly $1800 per month and am looking to spend at least $1000 monthly for rent. I'm looking for at least a one bedroom in a fairly decent neighborhood. I won't be looking to find a job, or attend school either. The purpose of my relocation is a change of scenery and new networking experiences completely different from my current situation. I also want to ESCAPE WINTER at all costs, lol. I have already checked the prices in San Bernadino, and the prices weren't too bad.Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the prices in San Bernadino, and the prices weren't too bad. Are there any other areas, cities, or towns of California with similar pricing?

Thanks in advance.....
thatoneguyinil

Last edited by thatoneguyinil; 04-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: forgot to add where I have checked already
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguyinil View Post
Hi, I am 24 year old freelance graphic designer from Chicago, IL. I have dreamed of moving to California since I graduated high school 6 years ago. After 6 years of dreaming, I finally decided on moving to California before the end of the year (my lease will be up in October 2013). I earn roughly $1800 per month and am looking to spend at least $1000 monthly for rent. I'm looking for at least a one bedroom in a fairly decent neighborhood. I won't be looking to find a job, or attend school either. The purpose of my relocation is a change of scenery and new networking experiences completely different from my current situation. I also want to ESCAPE WINTER at all costs, lol. I have already checked the prices in San Bernadino, and the prices weren't too bad.Any advice or comments will be greatly appreciated. I have already checked the prices in San Bernadino, and the prices weren't too bad. Are there any other areas, cities, or towns of California with similar pricing?

Thanks in advance.....
thatoneguyinil
Do you really think you can live on $800 after rent? I don't know what your overall expenses will be, but by the time you pay food, utilities, car and personal insurance, etc it won't lease a lot of extra, but I think you can do it...As for places other than San Bernardino, what are you considering in the way of commute time from place to place, what are your hobbies, and have you ever been to California? I am not knocking SAn Bernardino, it has some nice areas, but it might not be exactly what you are looking for. Another location might be Riverside area.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM

129 posts, read 164,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguyinil View Post

Thanks in advance.....
thatoneguyinil
Wait a second.... If you're earning $1800 a month, you REALLY don't want to be paying MORE than half of your salary on rent. TRUST ME.

IIRC, your rent to salary ratio is supposed to be about 1:3. So only about 1/3 or approx 30% of your salary should be going to rent if you want to live "comfortably". I'm just saying.... That's what MOST people advise.

If I were you, I would get a roommate (if you can) and split a $1000 rent. That way you'd be paying only $500 in rent and maybe an additional $50 in utilities (if that).

Do you have any friends or family members in the CA area you can stay with for a little bit while you get on your feet? Or, have you already been offered a job out there?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:00 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
What do you want for scenery? What do you want for entertainment? That would determine what part of CA you should be looking into.
I lived in SoCal when I was your age and it was fun, underground clubs and live music, lots of thrift stores full of cheap neat stuff, the occasional 90 minute drive to go camping, but I would not want to live there now.
So what is your past-time preferences? You want city? Town? Country? You want trees? Ocean or desert?
Since you want to get away from Chicago winters, you will not want to live in the Sierras, so places like Lake Tahoe and Shasta are out.
There are lots of college towns that may interest you because of the age group and the activities that cater to this age group. There are also several areas that are full of artists as well.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Check Ventura, CA or the San Fernando Valley, they may be affordable. You will wither for lack culture in San Bernardino compared to Chicago.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:35 PM

19,218 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I have to agree with those who question the amount. You're thinking of spending over 55% on rent. You're not leaving enough wiggle room for unexpected expenses.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:19 AM
5X5

37 posts, read 109,573 times
After food, utilities, transportation you aren't left with much. We also found that a lot of apartments also required that we buy renters insurance...so theres another 25 bucks/mo. We came from Arizona and were also surprised at the high grocery prices--and that's if you eat at home, which is cheaper than restaurants. Our water bill was also a shock. It all adds up. I don't say this to discourage, I just don't want to see anyone move here and be miserably broke. Try looking for a very small guest house rental or roomates. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California