Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 19,085 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have recently joined this forum to find some informative answers.

I'm over 3 months pregnant and currently residing in Maryland, but I'm looking to move to the west coast preferably somewhere in California within the next 1 month.
Being a single mother I wanted to know the safest and affordable areas to live and find a job. If I move I'll have a buffer zone of few months where I'll be able to support myself while I find a suitable job ( I'm a recent graduate in psychology and hope to find a job in the medical/health field- but I'm open to other fields if an opportunity arises- I'm also an amateur photographer ).

Even though I would like affordable housing I would still like to live in a metro city, my budget for rental would be around $1000/month plus living expenses.

If possible I would also like to know the availability of social services to help single mothers along with maybe facilities for child care once I get back to work.

Any information or advice would be appreciated. I'm extremely determined to make this move and seek a stable independent environment for my child.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livelife8 View Post
Hi,

I'm over 3 months pregnant and currently residing in Maryland, but I'm looking to move to the west coast preferably somewhere in California within the next 1 month.
Being a single mother I wanted to know the safest and affordable areas to live and find a job. If I move I'll have a buffer zone of few months where I'll be able to support myself while I find a suitable job ( I'm a recent graduate in psychology and hope to find a job in the medical/health field- but I'm open to other fields if an opportunity arises- I'm also an amateur photographer ).

Even though I would like affordable housing I would still like to live in a metro city, my budget for rental would be around $1000/month plus living expenses.

If possible I would also like to know the availability of social services to help single mothers along with maybe facilities for child care once I get back to work.

Any information or advice would be appreciated. I'm extremely determined to make this move and seek a stable independent environment for my child.

Thanks for the help.
If you are determined to make this move, nothing anyone can say will change your mind..No you can not find many places for $1000 a month, what are you going to do about medical and maternity costs? You won't be elegible for any type of help in California..or shouldn't be? There are few jobs, regardless of your field and certainly you won't have any maternity leave. as for child care, again, if you get a job in your field your income will probably be too high to get much in the way of government assistance and child care is out of sight.

I know you don't want to hear this, but for your baby's sake stay where you are until you are really on your feet and land the job before you even think of moving....

Nita

Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Social services as in taxpayer supported? If so, have you heard about the fiscal woes in this state?

Quote:
Moving to an economically depressed state to start a new life with a new child isn't exactly the definition of a stable environment. Have you considered one of the better off states?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for the help.
If you are determined to make this move, nothing anyone can say will change your mind..No you can not find many places for $1000 a month. There are some areas where $1000 will get you a decent 1 bedroom. It depends in how large a city and what the location is. What are you going to do about medical and maternity costs? You won't be eligible for any type of help in California..or shouldn't be? There are few jobs, regardless of your field and certainly you won't have any maternity leave. as for child care, again, if you get a job in your field your income will probably be too high to get much in the way of government assistance and child care is out of sight.

I am assuming you have a bacholers degree only. If so, you realize there isn't a lot of jobs available in your field with only a BS. Most carreers in Psyc require a masters to do much. I realize this isn't always the case, but in today's market it is.

You say, you have a buffer to help you for a few months, I hope that buffer is at least $5,000 to $10,000 and if you are lucky enough to get this job you are looking for, you will be over 1/2 way through your pregnancy. I know you don't want to hear this, but for your baby's sake stay where you are until you are really on your feet and land the job before you even think of moving....

Nita

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
If you're determineed to make the move, Sacramento may be an option. For CA it's affordable and being the capitol city there are a lot of state departments there for potential employment, despite the lousy fiscal climate. If you have a masters in psych, so much the better.

Although it shouldn't matter, looking for a job while pregnant and potentially going on maternity leave shortly is not a plus!

Aside from that, making a move with nothing lined up is risky, particularly now. The competition for available positions is fierce.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 AM

Thank you so much for the response. I do realize the mammoth task I'm trying to undertake, for the same reason I wanted to test the waters. Even though moving from where I am is something I have to do, but where I move is still flexible.

I would truly appreciate any guidance as to which cities would be better suited. For the few months which I can support myself, I will have about 10,000 USD min. And yes, I have just completed my undergraduate in psychology.

I probably sound naive but I'm aware of the job market and the dicey situation I'm in but my options are limited and any advice would be truly appreciated.

Thanks again!!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Dang, that's a tough spot. Moving somewhere new knowing that you will need social services isn't a good thing right now. If there are any alternatives that don't involve being all alone in a strange place with a kid and relying on social services just to get by you should pursue them. Otherwise you might end up stuck in a downward spiral you can't ever get out of. I'm talking family, father, adoption, etc. If there is ever a time to call upon your own support network this is it. A BA is Psyc doensn't mean much and you will be looking at entry level work like everyone else.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:39 PM

Hi Ceece,
Thanks so much for the response.

I don't intend to rely on any social services but just wanted to know if the cities or state was receptive just incase. The father of the child will also be helping with the finances. I wanted to know more about the housing situation, safety.. while I still want to remain close to a big city.

If anybody had suggestions of cities outside of California that would be helpful too.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 PM

212 posts, read 476,085 times
OKC

Before you laugh...

I have to relocate for work, and I almost went there... Some days, as I see what the California legislature is pondering, I wish I had. Oklahoma city did not get hit by the housing troubles because they had no to a minimal housing bubble in the first place. I was very impressed with the city and people. You could live quite well there, for less than in most of California, say in Norman and maybe Edmond. If things go poorly, as they likely will in the next decade in California, I will likely move to the Midwest. I will entertain other cities then, but I was very impressed with OKC. Dallas was also quite nice. Both regions have done very well economically, and additionally social services, especially for children, are quite good.

Please note, I do not write the above with any sort of joy. I was born and grew up in Northern and Central California. I love it. I smell it. I breath it... But in order to provide the best I can for my children, I may have to eventually leave. Unless the state as a whole becomes more business friendly, I really don't see the eventual decline changing. If I were in your shoes, that would be the biggest cause for me to pick a different state. Besides, truly... You can work less time, make more money elsewhere, and then spend more time vacationing here...

Old 07-14-2010, 07:02 PM

473 posts, read 1,328,099 times
Don't take this wrong single mom - but you are crazy to move here. You perhaps don't realize just how expensive it is. $1000 a month won't get you anything you would want to live in. Seriously, re-consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: