Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM

12 posts, read 39,265 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I currently live in Texas, and am strongly considering relocating to the Golden State. I've been in Texas for 4 years, and some things are really getting to me and impacting my safety here. I want to get feedback on how this may be different in California, specifically Los Angeles or San Jose, which will have the best job options for me.

I have had many encounters with rude people in Texas. They are not just rude, they are downright volatile over simple issues. For example, today I went inside a fast food restaurant, and I was limping thanks to my knee surgery. I was in the first set of doors, opening the second set, when these kids and there Mom flung the door open and nearly knocked me over. I said "Excuse me", because they didn't, let them go on, and walked in the restaurant. Well, the mom chased me back inside, cussing me out, using racial slurs towards me and wanting to fight me. I ignore this type of behavior, because you cannot reason with people in a rage, especially over something so trivial. I asked the restaurant to call the police, and the woman was waiting for me outside, then left her kids sit in the hot car to re-renter the restaurant to keep it going. She was flinging her arms all over and screaming that I was (insert racial slur here). I hid behind the counter behind the manager, and talked to the dispatcher. She kept making faces and screaming at me, but I ignored her. The police arrived and did nothing about the children (around 1 and 4 years old) in the hot car, but told me that the woman was not finished with her conversation, which is why she was so volatile. I asked incredulously how I could speak to someone in that tone. The officer laughed and said it was job security for him. No charges were filed, obviously.

I've also had people pull out in front of me, and I tapped my horn. These people have jumped out of their car to approach mine, demanding me to get out. I drive away, and they chase me. When I call the police, the police state, "But you beeped your horn at them!" How is horn-beeping illegal, but carrying a gun is not? I have never encountered this anywhere else in the USA, and it's getting worse.

Sorry for the long-winded post, and thanks for reading. In general, have you encountered this in California? Or are people more courteous and laid back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Better not move here. All woman here are that way.

Come on, your story is one in a million. Let's be realistic.

What line of work are you in?
What might you expect your housing budget to be?
Where (regions, cities) might you expect to find a job?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM

151 posts, read 404,947 times
Some folks are just crazy nowadays. I don't know why. Its too much work to be angry all the time.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
If somebody jumped out of their car and menaced me every time I tapped my horn, I'd have been dead long ago. Where I live the driving's so bad you end up beeping several times every time you go out in the car.

Good for you for calling police, OP. You did the right thing. Too bad the police failed to.

I don't know about CA; I imagine it depends on where you live. Berkeley and parts of Oakland are pretty mellow. What line of work are you in?

Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

12 posts, read 39,265 times
Thanks for the validation. People are just too sensitive. Life is short, and we should pick our battles.

I'll be a technical writer. Wherever I obtain the most lucrative offer is where I will move to. I plan to rent at first.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:00 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Better not move here. All woman here are that way.

Come on, your story is one in a million. Let's be realistic.

What line of work are you in?
What might you expect your housing budget to be?
Where (regions, cities) might you expect to find a job?
No, Charles, ALL women there are NOT all that way, so, yes, let's be realistic, mainly you. OP has already posted where she might expect to find a job. Did you read her post before making your unrealistic post. Do you actually think you can make reasonable suggesting about her housing budget? I don't think so.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:15 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Someone's not familiar with Charles' sense of humor.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:12 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
Never have had any issue such as the O.P. describes. Not once.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:20 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
This is pretty common in So CA, not so much in the northern part of the state, yet! I see this a lot when I go to my house down south. Can't wait to sell it. I am not sure where this behaviour comes from or where it will go.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponGal View Post
I plan to rent at first.
And unless you're pulling in 200K per year or more, plan to rent at last too.
Just making sure you understand the difference in housing costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California