Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:54 AM

486 posts, read 1,255,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinMaynard View Post
i guess if a state gov retiree was that concerned about their privacy, they could just opt out of their pension.

LOLOLOLOLOL....I KNOW RIGHT?!
Exactly what I'm thinking. The taxpayers are funding your retirement, so we should be able to see how much you are getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 11:29 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking. The taxpayers are funding your retirement, so we should be able to see how much you are getting.
Just sign the check, we'll find out how much it's for after you sign it. Where have I heard that before.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Well, since they've been posting our salaries online for years this is just an additional indignity.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,869,992 times
During the Great Recession, banks & mortgage originators & mortgage holders forgave much debt to underwater homeowners. They did this because of much arm-twisting, but the end result has been positive for communities.

It is time to call on Public Sector Unions to do the same.

Public Sector Unions need to "forgive" some of the pension debt incurred by now-underwater state & local governments Public Sector Unions need to forgive this debt in the interest of the greater community.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Well, since they've been posting our salaries online for years this is just an additional indignity.
I can think of, oh, just about 90% of people in the private sector that would probably be happy to trade jobs with you, if it's such an indignity.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
The usual, ignorant misinformation here. Taxpayers contribute SOME to the fund. And guess what, we employees were/are taxpayers too. We contributed a lot to the fund and ideally, the fund, OUR fund also contributes to itself through investments.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The usual, ignorant misinformation here. Taxpayers contribute SOME to the fund. And guess what, we employees were/are taxpayers too. We contributed a lot to the fund and ideally, the fund, OUR fund also contributes to itself through investments.
You also realize where those salaries you were getting paid that led to your contributions were coming from as well, right?

So cry me a damn river.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:18 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,457,153 times
First, the cities, "districts" etc. that belong to CalPers and don't pay a dime in shouldn't get a dime back. That's what the taxpayers are paying for. I looked once at my water district--I pay $165 for water, they belong to CalPers, pay nothing in, and were making like $60,000-$80,000 a year. They could have funded their own retirement. And have we forgotten Bell?

Second, those of us that have paid in every month (I've paid in for 40 years, currently $273 a month) to fund our retirements, yet still hear the "free ride" and "I pay for your retirement." Well, if you're paying for it, give me back all the money I've paid every month.

When the database finally appears, you'll see a simple truth. The State employees have a standard, transparent retirement formula--years x age x average of last three years of salary. There's always fraud--wasn't some agency adding in overtime? My agency allowed none of that. But then there will be the districts, that operate under their own contracts, and that's where the anger should be directed. Some of their retirement plans are so totally fiscally irresponsible they should be shut down.

When they had that scandalous "look how big these pensions are" article a while back, and listed all the big pensions, there were three people from my agency on the entire list. All three had worked there for over 50 years, and all had been either Chief or Deputy Chief, which is the highest position in the agency. But there were lots of people on the list from the districts, working 10 or 15 years and pulling down huge pensions.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
First, the cities, "districts" etc. that belong to CalPers and don't pay a dime in shouldn't get a dime back. That's what the taxpayers are paying for. I looked once at my water district--I pay $165 for water, they belong to CalPers, pay nothing in, and were making like $60,000-$80,000 a year. They could have funded their own retirement. And have we forgotten Bell?

Second, those of us that have paid in every month (I've paid in for 40 years, currently $273 a month) to fund our retirements, yet still hear the "free ride" and "I pay for your retirement." Well, if you're paying for it, give me back all the money I've paid every month.

When the database finally appears, you'll see a simple truth. The State employees have a standard, transparent retirement formula--years x age x average of last three years of salary. There's always fraud--wasn't some agency adding in overtime? My agency allowed none of that. But then there will be the districts, that operate under their own contracts, and that's where the anger should be directed. Some of their retirement plans are so totally fiscally irresponsible they should be shut down.

When they had that scandalous "look how big these pensions are" article a while back, and listed all the big pensions, there were three people from my agency on the entire list. All three had worked there for over 50 years, and all had been either Chief or Deputy Chief, which is the highest position in the agency. But there were lots of people on the list from the districts, working 10 or 15 years and pulling down huge pensions.
Cue the world's smallest violin.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:44 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Cue the world's smallest violin.
Because you haven't received any benefit from having a state government [which requires personnel], right? You, and the other big mouths on this thread, do nothing but pay taxes and get nothing in return. No infrastructure built or managed or maintained. No public safety. No recreational land. Nothing. Public employees are just parasites. Perfect example of the modern American mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California