Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the San Francisco MSA and San Jose MSA be joined?
Yes, the two metros are virtually indistinguishable. 22 68.75%
No, they are separate. 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM

308 posts, read 467,481 times

Advertisements

Of course they should be merged. It's the 'Bay Area' that we refer to for our region. Sure, you can get specific with city names but for a 'metro' area, it's the Bay Area. Besides, the majority of us traverse both metros (todays definition) on a regular basis. Work or live in one, entertain/shop in another or any combination thereof. As much as I am not a fan of traffic, I'm always crossing the imaginary/absurd boundary. We share the same news, TV, radio, print media, sports, transportation and other regional government entities. And yes, I get that these entities exist in one or the other metro but their draw is the entire Bay Area.

A real metro separation is the Bay Area and Sacramento. A few dozen miles truly separates these areas as you drive through the farmlands and its noticeable that they're truly independent. Contrast that to SF & SJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
It's similar to the LA/Inland Empire issue. Both areas (SoCal and Bay Area) seem like single "metro areas" to me, but going by the pure definition created by the Census Bureau, they are separate.

I think the bigger question is should the Census Bureau revise their definitions of an "MSA" to include categories such as transit links, TV markets, and other potential criteria that really unite Metro areas.
But the Census Bureau already has a term for a group of multiple MSAs that have close ties to each other. It's called a Combined Statistical Area (CSA). In particular, there is already a San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland Combined Statistical Area defined by the Census Bureau. That should work fine for whatever statistical purpose you want, if you are interested in merged statistics.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
The South Bay is its own animal. We would have to call the whole Bay area one gigantic Metro if we want to include everything that is linked, which is silly.
I agree. The South Bay is different enough in character that it should remain its own metro area.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
But the Census Bureau already has a term for a group of multiple MSAs that have close ties to each other. It's called a Combined Statistical Area (CSA). In particular, there is already a San Jose - San Francisco - Oakland Combined Statistical Area defined by the Census Bureau. That should work fine for whatever statistical purpose you want, if you are interested in merged statistics.
Exactly.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM

33 posts, read 51,368 times
Default One Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbnsf View Post
We share the same news, TV, radio, print media, sports, transportation and other regional government entities. And yes, I get that these entities exist in one or the other metro but their draw is the entire Bay Area.

A real metro separation is the Bay Area and Sacramento. A few dozen miles truly separates these areas as you drive through the farmlands and its noticeable that they're truly independent. Contrast that to SF & SJ.
Allow me to agree almost completely, but toss out one thought.
Even if there were no longer any farmlands, and it may have become semi-suburban (is that a word?), Sacramento and the Bay Area would remain distinct.
Because MSAs always consist of entire counties, Solano County is completely within the SF MSA, while for the Nielsen TV Designated Market Areas (DMA), Solano is split between the SF DMA and the Sacramento DMA.
It may not be completely definitive exactly where the boundary is, but for the reasons which you have cited (Media, Sports Teams, Regional Transportation, etc) there is no question that these are 2 separate markets, whether measured by TV, Radio, MSA, CSA, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California