Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times

Advertisements

Redding will always have fond memories for me.....and most emblematic and representative of the place was the octogenarian at the Quality Inn with the charming F*** You! T-shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 12:59 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
All good points. Honestly, the Santa Cruz lifestyle gets romanticized and idealized by folks visiting or who can live there without commuting, maybe retired, etc... But for the average smuck who has to earn a living to suport his/her family there is much more to it than the dream state many imagine. You hit the nail on the head in starting with the nightmare Hwy 17 drive into the Valley daily come rain, shine, accidents, etc... That daily drive is nothing to brag about or look forward to. And that's just for starters. At least in Monterey we have more in the way of IT jobs off the beaten San Jose path. In fact where I work we have two vanpools of folks who commute in from SJ for their jobs. But I would not go the other direction for work unless I absolutely had no choice.

Does Redding have its warts or underbelly? Sure it does. But what are the trade off in moving away and to where for a decent job of some kind?

Derek
A commute to Cupertino or San Jose does seem pretty far on a bad road. Wouldn't it be possible for the person to live in Watsonville or Capitola and commute to Salinas for work? It's taking the 1 highway to get there.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:59 AM

367 posts, read 420,978 times
Quote:
All good points. Honestly, the Santa Cruz lifestyle gets romanticized and idealized by folks visiting or who can live there without commuting, maybe retired, etc... But for the average smuck who has to earn a living to suport his/her family there is much more to it than the dream state many imagine. You hit the nail on the head in starting with the nightmare Hwy 17 drive into the Valley daily come rain, shine, accidents, etc... That daily drive is nothing to brag about or look forward to. And that's just for starters. At least in Monterey we have more in the way of IT jobs off the beaten San Jose path. In fact where I work we have two vanpools of folks who commute in from SJ for their jobs. But I would not go the other direction for work unless I absolutely had no choice.

Does Redding have its warts or underbelly? Sure it does. But what are the trade off in moving away and to where for a decent job of some kind?

Derek
People being hauled in vans between SJ and Monterey? I surely hope they're contractors for half a year max or are in the process of relocation...I WISH more companies considered opening in coastal area versus Silicone Valley and San Francisco and wish investors had more sense and wouldn't limit their funding to SV-SF companies, like they're trying to do now. I think any position on the Coast will be more competitive than most similar positions in SV and the employers would have their pick. I know people who commute from San Louis Obispo and Santa Rosa to Silicone Valley (by commute I mean Mon-Thur live in SV, then go home)

Old 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usrname View Post
People being hauled in vans between SJ and Monterey? I surely hope they're contractors for half a year max or are in the process of relocation...I WISH more companies considered opening in coastal area versus Silicone Valley and San Francisco and wish investors had more sense and wouldn't limit their funding to SV-SF companies, like they're trying to do now. I think any position on the Coast will be more competitive than most similar positions in SV and the employers would have their pick. I know people who commute from San Louis Obispo and Santa Rosa to Silicone Valley (by commute I mean Mon-Thur live in SV, then go home)
DM me if interested in the things happening here. These are mostly long term positions and not typically 6 mo contracts though some could be.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
A commute to Cupertino or San Jose does seem pretty far on a bad road. Wouldn't it be possible for the person to live in Watsonville or Capitola and commute to Salinas for work? It's taking the 1 highway to get there.
Yes, I've known some who do. Its a far better drive than Hwy 17 into the Valley.

Old 10-15-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, I've known some who do. Its a far better drive than Hwy 17 into the Valley.
I am curious Mtnsurfer, if a well-off family lives in Salinas then I am guessing they put their kids in private school. I have only heard bad things about public schools in Salinas. I am guessing that since housing is affordable in Salinas, the families use the leftover money to put their kids into private school.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I am curious Mtnsurfer, if a well-off family lives in Salinas then I am guessing they put their kids in private school. I have only heard bad things about public schools in Salinas. I am guessing that since housing is affordable in Salinas, the families use the leftover money to put their kids into private school.
Well, I am not sure of your definition of well off and what that would be in relation to. The truly well off live lavish lifestyles most of us can't even relate to. But I know a number of families who live either in Salinas or within its school district in nicer neighborhoods like Spreckles, Las Palmas, Indian Springs, Toro Park, etc... For those who live on the outskirts their kids go to better schools up until High School like Buena Vista Middle School in Las Palmas or Toro Park Elementary for example. Then once in High School they have to make a decision of whether to go private, public or homeschool. The short answer is they do all three depending on the family. One coworker who I would classify as upper middle class with his wife's combined income sent his kids to highly ranked public schools up until HS. Then he opted to send them to Salinas High. They followed the AP, honors track there and graduated with honors. They did outside math camps and other extracurricular activities. This worked fine for them. Others I know who live there, actually quite a few, homeschool. Private is pretty steep with multiple children and kinda negates the value of living in Salinas in the first place which is to save money. But some still do it.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 10-15-2013 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I am not sure of your definition of well off and what that would be in relation to. The truly well off live lavish lifestyles most of us can't even relate to. But I know a number of families who live either in Salinas or within its school district in nicer neighborhoods like Spreckles, Las Palmas, Indian Springs, Toro Park, etc... For those who live on the outskirts their kids go to better schools up until High School like Buena Vista Middle School in Las Palmas or Toro Park Elementary for example. Then once in High School they have to make a decision of whether to go private, public or homeschool. The short answer is they do all three depending on the family. One coworker who I would classify as upper middle class with his wife's combined income sent his kids to highly ranked public schools up until HS. Then he opted to send them to Salinas High. They followed the AP, honors track there and graduated with honors. They did outside math camps and other extracurricular activities. This worked fine for them. Others I know who live there, actually quite a few, homeschool. Private is pretty steep with multiple children and kinda negates the value of living in Salinas in the first place which is to save money. But some still do it.

Derek
So more opt for the homeschool route. Well-off I would say is upper middle class and beyond.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
So more opt for the homeschool route. Well-off I would say is upper middle class and beyond.
I wouldn't go so far as to say more opt to homeschool. Rather more of those we know who live in the larger Salinas area do. This has more to do with our own circles of friends since we homeschool as well.

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California