Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 04:25 PM

132 posts, read 370,193 times

Advertisements

So I've visited quite a few sites relating to the selling and purchase of land. Everyone knows there is really no shortage of land in California. Problem is, everyone wants to live in the same places, whith access to utilities and amenities, and that's what makes things expensive. But I've seen many listings for one or more acres of land in the middle of nowhere in CA for dirt cheap. Just saw a listing in Kern County, 2.5 acres for $2,990.

There is nothing particularly special about these lots I've seen. No trees, 30 minutes from the nearest town. But plenty of open space, and they're cheap. I was just curious what the potential is for such a plot. Could I conceivably buy up a cheap plot of land in the California desert, thirty miles from town, plop an Airtream trailer there, and call myself a California homeowner for less than $30K? I'm well aware of the practical limitations, which can be overcome. But would there be any legal limitations to prevent actually living there off-grid in the desert? If you own the land, why should there be? Just curious if anyone knows more about this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM

50,260 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Extreme summer heat, as in Arizona hot. Some areas have very poor air quality there too. Electricity would be a must in the summer as you'll be confined inside during the heat. Off grid? Ugh, I supposed in theory. A lot nicer in the winter.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,681,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNight View Post
So I've visited quite a few sites relating to the selling and purchase of land. Everyone knows there is really no shortage of land in California. Problem is, everyone wants to live in the same places, whith access to utilities and amenities, and that's what makes things expensive. But I've seen many listings for one or more acres of land in the middle of nowhere in CA for dirt cheap. Just saw a listing in Kern County, 2.5 acres for $2,990.

There is nothing particularly special about these lots I've seen. No trees, 30 minutes from the nearest town. But plenty of open space, and they're cheap. I was just curious what the potential is for such a plot. Could I conceivably buy up a cheap plot of land in the California desert, thirty miles from town, plop an Airtream trailer there, and call myself a California homeowner for less than $30K? I'm well aware of the practical limitations, which can be overcome. But would there be any legal limitations to prevent actually living there off-grid in the desert? If you own the land, why should there be? Just curious if anyone knows more about this.

Yes you can do this. Now an airstream is an expensive trailer, but you got the idea. You do not need the grid, 500 watts of solar will do just fine, a 500 gal or 1,000 gal propane tank is good. The key is water. If you don't have a well, you have a problem. You don't need much flow, 2 gpm with a solar trickle pump will give you 1200 gallons in a 10 hour day, but you do need the water.

Now, as Angry mentioned summers can be hot, lots of people like heat, some don't. Build a Ramada over your trailer, That will help considerably in keeping your place habitable.

Build a large ramada, most of your living will be outside, you only need to go inside in inclement weather. That includes wind, when the pressure gradient monster lifts its head, it can be extremely windy, you will want to be out of it.

The county will regulate you, health and safety issues, you will probably need a legal septic system, and at least 2 gpm of water from your well.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,115,340 times
Check the average temps, it's not Arizona hot.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Also make certain that you have nothing inside that's illegal, because some people who live like that in Kern County are cooking meth, so law enforcement may come poking around.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 PM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
If you ever drive through the desert areas of California, you will notice there are vast areas that are uninhabited (govt land where development is prohibited) and other places that have sparse population scattered across hundreds of square miles.

I would guess that several hundreds of thousands of people live in modest dwellings (RVs, travel trailers, mobile homes or simple structures) outside the boundaries of major cities or towns in the desert regions of Kern, Riverside, San Bernardino, Inyo and San Diego counties. So your idea of living a simple life in the desert is not far fetched at all. Perfect example is the outlying desert area around Yucca Valley and 29 Palms. Or outside of Barstow, Victorville and Apple Valley. The sparse desert settlements disappear over the horizon, and at night you see lights all over. If you can find a plot of land where grid power is available, it is worth it to pay a bit more for that land than "off the grid" land, because the cost of installing your own power system can be very high, maybe more than 10 years of power bills from SCE (southern cal edison).

Like highnlite said above, all depends on availability of water. Lack of water makes land almost uninhabitable, but there are places where people buy water from trucks that fill their cisterns. Or some people buy a "water buffalo" trailer and haul water to their cistern from a nearby town. That gets old, depending on how far it is to a water source.

Just have to ask...you would leave the tropical paradise of key west to live in remote parched dry California desert? That is literally one extreme to another!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times
Sounds like California City. I could see myself eventually living there, in the eastern stretches away from town. Check the inventory near the Salton Sea while you're at it. Just make sure you're upwind of the prevailing breezes.

Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 AM

132 posts, read 370,193 times
Thank you all for your help, especially highnlite and recycled, you bring up good points.
It's not really my dream to live in the desert, and haul my own water around. But the prospect of being a land owner in the grand state of California for less than the cost of a used car does fascinate me. It's nice to have someplace in this world just to be, that you can call your own, even if that place is a patch of dirt in the middle of nowhere. In Key West, where I have been for seven years, it is indeed a paradise for some who seek a certain lifestyle. But it's very much a fish bowl. And land is at a premium, and at premium prices. Personally I miss mountains, wide open spaces and places to roam.

So as far as the desert land goes, major considerations brought up were air quality (brushfires, and a lot of dust being kicked up out there I assume? Couldn't be smog in particular.) Access to water. Desert heat - manageable. Curious law enforcement. Also the possible need for a septic system if a dwelling were to be built. All understandable... I'm still wrapping my mind around paying out a few grand and getting the deed to a couple acres of dirt in return.

Another thing, is the California desert anyplace you would want to step out into at after dark? I almost stepped on a sleeping rattlesnake in suburban Escondido, and that was in broad daylight. I imagine all sorts of creepy crawlies come out when the sun goes down.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:51 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Quote:
But the prospect of being a land owner in the grand state of California for less than the cost of a used car does fascinate me.
As stated, its cheap for a reason. May as well buy some dirt in rural Arizona where at least you won't have to deal with California's government.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:42 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,038,253 times
Quote:
Another thing, is the California desert anyplace you would want to step out into at after dark? I almost stepped on a sleeping rattlesnake in suburban Escondido, and that was in broad daylight. I imagine all sorts of creepy crawlies come out when the sun goes down.[/font]
Reptiles only come out in daylight, to get sun to heat their bodies. At night, they hide in holes or in rock crevices to keep warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California