Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Get some bear spray...

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear...w=1067&bih=441
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:22 PM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
Yes, I've heard/read run, play dead, and make noise -- in fact, all three multiple times! That's why I'm confused. :-) My instinct would be to make as much noise as I could like banging rocks together but don't know if they would excite some bears even more???

What about cougars? My instinct would be to walk away slowly talking sweetly to the big cat. This is what I've always done when I encounter potentially dangerous mammals.
Catnip and a squeaky toy on a string.

My father used to cut a slit in the bottom of a paper grocery sack and slide his belt through from the back leaving the bag front open to our cat. Cat loved the game. Would dive into the bag time and again as Dad would slowly twitch it and withdraw into the dark hole. Maybe would work on a cougar. Would need a bigger bag though.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've heard/read run, play dead, and make noise -- in fact, all three multiple times! That's why I'm confused. :-) My instinct would be to make as much noise as I could like banging rocks together but don't know if they would excite some bears even more???

What about cougars? My instinct would be to walk away slowly talking sweetly to the big cat. This is what I've always done when I encounter potentially dangerous mammals.
For noise some folks carry an aerosol can boat horn.
I always carry a walking stick.
I think Bear Spray would be the best thing available. If you shoot them & it doesn't kill them, you will really pi** them off.

I am armed when exploring the BLM forest, but have never had to shoot any animal.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM

726 posts, read 1,368,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I'd be a little afraid of bear pepper spray. I'd definitely need more info. Wikipedia says bear spray sometimes results in fatalities to both people and bears:

Bear spray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should also be noted that it is illegal in national parks.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Catnip and a squeaky toy on a string.

My father used to cut a slit in the bottom of a paper grocery sack and slide his belt through from the back leaving the bag front open to our cat. Cat loved the game. Would dive into the bag time and again as Dad would slowly twitch it and withdraw into the dark hole. Maybe would work on a cougar. Would need a bigger bag though.
Funny.

I've seen lots of video of wild cats and they do play just like our little domestic friends.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
I'd be a little afraid of bear pepper spray. I'd definitely need more info. Wikipedia says bear spray sometimes results in fatalities to both people and bears:

Bear spray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It should also be noted that it is illegal in national parks.
I think you misread Wikipedia.

Wiki suggests you carry Bear Spray in Yellowstone National Park. They are even planning to rent cans of Bear Spray for $5.

Bear Mace is illegal.

Wiki says spray may save human & bear lives.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I think you misread Wikipedia.

Wiki suggests you carry Bear Spray in Yellowstone National Park. They are even planning to rent cans of Bear Spray for $5.

Bear Mace is illegal.

Wiki says spray may save human & bear lives.
Wiki states in the second sentence, "Generally, there are periodic injuries and sometimes fatalities to both bears and humans."

It was citing the reference: http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_coug...prayAlaska.pdf

In the abstract of this reference, it states, "In 14% (10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation (11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71)."

I admit I have not studied this in detail but on a quick perusal, I saw other references to bear spray hurting those attempting to use it.

You are right that Wiki does say bear mace is banned in "some" but not all national parks. If someone actually wanted to take it into a national park, they probably ought to check with the rangers. Wiki, which is not an official reference of course, says "in the backcountry" for the usage in Yellowstone... it does not state in all of Yellowstone.

To me, the bottom line to all of this is that one should research things thoroughly if they are considering the use of bear spray.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Default sardines are like crack to a bear

For a bear situation where you might be the slowest in the group. It's good to know a bears nose leads it just like a guided missile. Bring a tin of the stuff that has the pull ring, for obvious reasons. When a bear charges, just yell SARDINES, pop one open and throw it. The yell is not for the bear but a warning to every body else that the person jumping and running around has Sardines. You won't have to run much. Just get out of the way.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For a bear situation where you might be the slowest in the group. It's good to know a bears nose leads it just like a guided missile. Bring a tin of the stuff that has the pull ring, for obvious reasons. When a bear charges, just yell SARDINES, pop one open and throw it. The yell is not for the bear but a warning to every body else that the person jumping and running around has Sardines. You won't have to run much. Just get out of the way.
You know I like the idea of packing in a can of sardines for a bear diversion. Simple and safe.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:37 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
You know I like the idea of packing in a can of sardines for a bear diversion. Simple and safe.
You've never been outside the concrete jungle have you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California