Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 3,325 times

Advertisements

I think I know this answer already , but I have four locations that my boss may put me and they're either in Huntington Beach, Manhattan Beach, Laguna Niguel (<--all LA) or Carlsbad (<--San Diego). I just want to get an understanding about all of them and how you think they'd fit me.

A little about me... I'm fairly young and I'm not wealthy, but I will be transitioning into the real estate industry (sales, appraisals, property management etc). I'm modest in my view of living; this means I'll be renting initially and even if I buy, it won't ever be big. Cost of rent/buy is of interest, but it works both ways with me...richer clients mean more money. I don't know any of the above areas that well, except Carlsbad (and most of SD). I love the coastal weather in San Diego, find the people super friendly, love the beaches and the overall outdoor lifestyle down there. I am from the bay area, ca. And while the bay area is definitely a place to buy/sell real estate and get fairly wealthy, I don't feel an affinity with the area/people (even though I've lived here for years). The city [sf] is fairly cold and while it has some very attractive amenities to it and a vibrant night life, I find myself wanting to live somewhere where I can live outside, see myself raising a family and feeling a sense of community.

I have a sister NEAR Santa Monica and while I like aspects of that area, I find it too crowded...I don't like the traffic there (and parking is sometimes as bad as SF). It just takes too long to get to anywhere of modest distance. We have traffic in the bay area, but it's not that bad. The less traffic in the area the better. Preferably like Carlsbad. Her weather is a bit too warm for my liking, too...again Carlsbad weather is preferable. I like semi-vibrant cities, that still have some small town feel and sense of community, that are near the beach, have a general upward neighborhood (ie it's not in decline) and are outdoor friendly.

I'm not familiar with those other coastal LA areas and need to know if I should list those areas, and if so in what order of preference or should I go solely for the general northern SD area...!? If you could let me know how those general areas are to you and how you'd think I'd view them. If a coastal area (I haven't noted) somehow fits my criteria and you just like typing...I love reading and being informed...type away!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 01:55 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,542,406 times
Hello. Huntington Beach and Laguna Niguel are in Orange County, not LA. Im more familiar with them as I live in OC. Huntington is a younger crowd with some great nightlife in the area and lots to do. Laguna Niguel is more family oriented and more expensive, not as much nightlife in that part of South OC. What's your budget?

Old 07-13-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Hello. Huntington Beach and Laguna Niguel are in Orange County, not LA. Im more familiar with them as I live in OC. Huntington is a younger crowd with some great nightlife in the area and lots to do. Laguna Niguel is more family oriented and more expensive, not as much nightlife in that part of South OC. What's your budget?
I'll be with family. 1500-2000 for a two bed room. Renting of coarse.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:36 PM

Anyone???

Old 07-13-2014, 02:20 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,542,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky550 View Post
I'll be with family. 1500-2000 for a two bed room. Renting of coarse.
Carlsbad then

Old 07-13-2014, 03:18 PM

8,220 posts, read 16,721,981 times
I know the coastal LA areas very well as that is where I am from. This area is known as the South Bay which includes Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo and Torrance beach cities as well as Palos Verdes. This is the nicest coastal area to live in LA County, IMO. The real estate can be very expensive, especially when right on the water's edge.

Based on what you are describing I think you would like these South Bay beach communities much more than Santa Monica. They are less impacted. I never really liked the Santa Monica area and avoided it unless going there for occasional nightlife activities.

I also like north San Diego County which has changed quite a bit over the years. Gentrification has occurred in both regions big time in terms of real estate. In the South Bay when gentrification and massive new development really started to kick in during the 80s many folks moved to San Diego to escape it. Then it followed there not too long after. North SD county used to be mostly a hippie/surfer area which has changed big time over the years. But it's still a bit slower paced than the South Bay or OC. So if you want something a little slower paced with fewer people North SD county would probably be best. Though I would recommend at least visiting these other areas before making a final decision.

If looking at good places to raise a family in the South Bay I recommend looking into the city of Torrance which is a real family oriented city with great schools. I took the photo above at Torrance Beach while there with my family. Our kids were all born there as well. Here is one example of a nice little house in a great neighborhood in your price range: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...565955348.html

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-13-2014 at 03:46 PM..

Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,158,184 times
Carlsbad will give you a little bit more for your money than Laguna Niguel in that you can be closer to the ocean in Carlsbad for the same amount you'd pay in LN.

They are different areas yet they have many similarities. Both are family oriented with Carlsbad being more laid back, etc.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 AM

172 posts, read 274,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky550 View Post
I think I know this answer already , but I have four locations that my boss may put me and they're either in Huntington Beach, Manhattan Beach, Laguna Niguel (<--all LA) or Carlsbad (<--San Diego). I just want to get an understanding about all of them and how you think they'd fit me.

A little about me... I'm fairly young and I'm not wealthy, but I will be transitioning into the real estate industry (sales, appraisals, property management etc). I'm modest in my view of living; this means I'll be renting initially and even if I buy, it won't ever be big. Cost of rent/buy is of interest, but it works both ways with me...richer clients mean more money. I don't know any of the above areas that well, except Carlsbad (and most of SD). I love the coastal weather in San Diego, find the people super friendly, love the beaches and the overall outdoor lifestyle down there. I am from the bay area, ca. And while the bay area is definitely a place to buy/sell real estate and get fairly wealthy, I don't feel an affinity with the area/people (even though I've lived here for years). The city [sf] is fairly cold and while it has some very attractive amenities to it and a vibrant night life, I find myself wanting to live somewhere where I can live outside, see myself raising a family and feeling a sense of community.

I have a sister NEAR Santa Monica and while I like aspects of that area, I find it too crowded...I don't like the traffic there (and parking is sometimes as bad as SF). It just takes too long to get to anywhere of modest distance. We have traffic in the bay area, but it's not that bad. The less traffic in the area the better. Preferably like Carlsbad. Her weather is a bit too warm for my liking, too...again Carlsbad weather is preferable. I like semi-vibrant cities, that still have some small town feel and sense of community, that are near the beach, have a general upward neighborhood (ie it's not in decline) and are outdoor friendly.

I'm not familiar with those other coastal LA areas and need to know if I should list those areas, and if so in what order of preference or should I go solely for the general northern SD area...!? If you could let me know how those general areas are to you and how you'd think I'd view them. If a coastal area (I haven't noted) somehow fits my criteria and you just like typing...I love reading and being informed...type away!!
I'd say Laguna Niguel is more family oriented than Huntington Beach or Manhattan Beach. If I were you, I'd go with La Jolla, Carlsbad, Laguna Niguel, Hungtington Beach, Manhattan Beach. In that order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California