Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times

Advertisements

Why do people say California is bad?

☆☆☆☆☆Jealousy!☆☆☆☆☆
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That has the enduring myth of CA, and the West in general, since Helen Hunt Jackson published Ramona. You just missed the good old days. The perpetuation of this fantasy has helped cloak the always-present water and sustainability limits, while causing useful political diversion for those vested interests adept at popular and political manipulation. To wit: 80% of the state's water goes to corporate agribusiness, which sells most of its product out-of-state, but which actually comprises a small percentage of the state's overall economy. Instead of honestly addressing that reality at ANY point in our history in ANY meaningful way, our conditioned response has been limited to endless political ****-shows involving peripheral canals, water tunnels, desalination, north-vs south, left v right, white vs brown, environment v jobs, delta smelt, snail darters, bond measures and whether yellow is actually mellow.

The hills were fragrant with Orange blossoms. Heaven, unless you were an Okie starving for work, many of whom already viewed their new home as Paradise Lost.

LA was a suburban paradise. Except when the smog was so thick, parents were reluctant to let the kids play outside and were nervous about the neighborhood “changing”.

The good old days are now, and we need to act that way.
Ya fergot the ever-popular spotted owl.

Old farts personal view: The good 'ol days were when Orange County had orange groves and strawberry fields and the fragrance of orange blossoms was heavenly. However, you'd have had to be there then to know why. Realistically, you're right about now because it's the times you have.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Yes, the arrival terminals at CA airports are completely vacant, and inbound freeways and roads deserted. Amazingly, the overcrowded inhabitants are actually enjoying their lives, though.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,564,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ya fergot the ever-popular spotted owl.

Old farts personal view: The good 'ol days were when Orange County had orange groves and strawberry fields and the fragrance of orange blossoms was heavenly. However, you'd have had to be there then to know why. Realistically, you're right about now because it's the times you have.
Never forget the senseless bloodshed over the Spotted Owl.

I remember the hippie up the street would take 5 y/o me and my friends in his dune buggy all the way from our homes in Westchester to just across from the ocean. I realize how lucky I was, as those opportunities were highly contingent on our family's circumstances. Freaking awesome, but also very fleeting.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 PM

Location: SF Bay Area, aka, Liberal Mecca/wherever DoD sends me to
713 posts, read 1,082,151 times
California is bad if you have to work and make not so much money (if you make more than 100k, not only do you have to pay 30% to uncle sam but also 10% to the state government) have to commute for work in the Bay Area or LA, or if you are a die hard conservative and you are living in the coastal metropolitan areas.

but i still would not recommend to move to California.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 PM

213 posts, read 252,592 times
There is a reason California is the best state in the USA.

Best weather.
Strongest economy.
Decent healthcare.
Best public universities.
Best private universities.

Seriously, why would anyone not want to live here. It's completely based. Those who say California is "Bad" are just projecting their pure jealousy of not being able to live on the best coast in the based state.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I think a lot of the complaining is from people who move here expecting to get rich quick and live a way better life than where they came from, without considering all of the costs and the traffic, etc. I'm speaking specifically of people who come to the SF Bay Area. I don't know anything about southern CA.

They get an amazing job offer for $75,000 more a year, for instance, and they think wahoo! We hit the jackpot! Then they learn that the 4 bedroom 3 bath house they have on a sprawling acre in the Atlanta area, for instance, is not going to be affordable anywhere near the great job they got.

And they don't want to compromise on the 3 bathrooms they just HAVE to have. And with these blinders on, they look farther and farther away from the job to try and duplicate what they had back home.

Then, they find the house they want, that's fairly similar to what they had in Atlanta. But, it's a 2 hour commute in horrible traffic.

And I am just guessing, but I think they end up finding the culture in CA to be very different, too. I had the opposite culture shock when I moved from the West Coast to Tennessee for 5 years. I never fit in.

So, by now, these people face giving up their big California dream, selling and then trying to reconcile going back to a salary that's $75,000 less than they're currently making - and how do you spin that to a new employer? And maybe going home with their tails between their legs, feeling like a failure. This is all wild conjecture on my part.

Or, they are so focused on their careers, that they won't compromise on losing the great "opportunities" in CA, even though they are miserable here.

A lot of people think they will "net" that $75,000 pay raise. And it just doesn't work that way. And now they spend most of their days in traffic, and maybe the kids are starting to speak with a funny California accent and talking like Valley kids, and maybe the schools aren't as good. And they realize how much they miss the seasons and their families.

So, they feel stuck and they are miserable, and it is, of course, California's fault.

Anyway, these seem to be the people who complain about how horrible CA is.

There was another thread recently where someone shared a link to a study that showed that most people who live in CA were born here. So we stay, or if we move away - we come back. That was the case for me. I tried WA and TN and Mexico, and even Canada. I'll never live anywhere full-time but CA again.

For the most part, us native Californians love our state.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 08-22-2014 at 09:41 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 09:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i think italy is a pretty place with lots of sun and not so bad a winter, just like california.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think a lot of the complaining is from people who move here expecting to get rich quick and live a way better life than where they came from, without considering all of the costs and the traffic, etc. I'm speaking specifically of people who come to the SF Bay Area. I don't know anything about southern CA.

They get an amazing job offer for $75,000 more a year, for instance, and they think wahoo! We hit the jackpot! Then they learn that the 4 bedroom 3 bath house they have on a sprawling acre in the Atlanta area, for instance, is not going to be affordable anywhere near the great job they got.

And they don't want to compromise on the 3 bathrooms they just HAVE to have. And with these blinders on, they look farther and farther away from the job to try and duplicate what they had back home.

Then, they find the house they want, that's fairly similar to what they had in Atlanta. But, it's a 2 hour commute in horrible traffic.

And I am just guessing, but I think they end up finding the culture in CA to be very different, too. I had the opposite culture shock when I moved from the West Coast to Tennessee for 5 years. I never fit in.

So, by now, these people face giving up their big California dream, selling and then trying to reconcile going back to a salary that's $75,000 less than they're currently making - and how do you spin that to a new employer? And maybe going home with their tails between their legs, feeling like a failure. This is all wild conjecture on my part.

Or, they are so focused on their careers, that they won't compromise on losing the great "opportunities" in CA, even though they are miserable here.

A lot of people think they will "net" that $75,000 pay raise. And it just doesn't work that way. And now they spend most of their days in traffic, and maybe the kids are starting to speak with a funny California accent and talking like Valley kids, and maybe the schools aren't as good. And they realize how much they miss the seasons and their families.

So, they feel stuck and they are miserable, and it is, of course, California's fault.

Anyway, these seem to be the people who complain about how horrible CA is.

There was another thread recently where someone shared a link to a study that showed that most people who live in CA were born here. So we stay, or if we move away - we come back. That was the case for me. I tried WA and TN and Mexico, and even Canada. I'll never live anywhere full-time but CA again.

For the most part, us native Californians love our state.
the people who complain the most about California tend to be the natives. the transplants tend to like California more. I can say this because I am a California native and I always hear my fellow natives complaining because we know how **** goes; at least the smart ones.

I still remember the 1990s when the Bay Area wasn't bad at all. Now, forget about it. Too overpriced for what you get in return unless you really want to pay big time for the weather and having to hear *******s all day complaining about the littlest of crap.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
There is a reason California is the best state in the USA.

Best weather.
Strongest economy.
Decent healthcare.
Best public universities.
Best private universities.

Seriously, why would anyone not want to live here. It's completely based. Those who say California is "Bad" are just projecting their pure jealousy of not being able to live on the best coast in the based state.
1.yes
2.no
3.meh
4.overpriced (as all over the USA)
5.way overpriced (same as above)

have you traveled at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California