Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

You really don't know what you're talking about, things and stuff. Affirmative Action was officially done away with some time back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:35 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about, things and stuff. Affirmative Action was officially done away with some time back.
Once again your head is in the sand.

Here's a link: UCLA prof says stats prove school's admissions illegally favor blacks | Fox News

Quote:
Public universities in California are barred from using race as a factor in admitting students, but a UCLA professor who once served on its admissions oversight team says he has proof they do it anyway.
Quote:
And race outweighs socioeconomic status, according to Groseclose. For instance, black applicants whose families had incomes exceeding $100,000 were about twice as likely to be accepted in round two as Asian and white kids whose families make just $30,000 and had similar test scores, grades and essays.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:50 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The problem is that those areas do not have decent paying jobs.
And, as I said before, there are affordable areas that have good jobs. For example, one can easily find a decent home in the west San Fernando valley for $300~$400,000 and there are plenty of jobs in that area. A $300,000~$400,000 home would be affordable to a family making $60,000~$75,000/year.

And, in reality, all decent sized areas have decent jobs. All communities need teachers, attorneys, doctors, dentists, managers, etc but some areas have higher concentrations of "decent jobs" due to the presence of a large company that provides such jobs.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:03 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,976,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Only 15% of CA is desert.

Only 2% of CA is crowded/semi-crowded.

97% of CA is rural or Wilderness.

When people talk about how bad the traffic is, the polluted air, high crime they usually are only seeing CA from the perspective of LA, where such conditions are the norm, LA is not CA. The greater LA area covers way less than 1% of the land area of CA

I live in CA and traffic is almost never an issue for me, unless I drive to the SF Bay Area at the wrong time of day. Low crime, clean air and forest for miles and miles. It snows, lots.

No mega rich folk taking over properties.
I don't live that far from Mr5150 and our county has a population of 18,000 residents, and can boast of having no traffic lights in the whole county.

The air is clean and the sky is blue. Many very nice homes with land can be had for under $300,000.

Life is good.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
So basically L.A. is cheaper than Rome in almost every aspect, and people from Los Angeles make about TWICE as much money as people from Rome. Keep complaining, sure.
It's all relative. People in California don't compare the cost of living and salaries to those in Rome. They compare these things to other places in America.

Despite all the complaining from Americans, our cost of living is pretty reasonable and taxes are low by comparison. Yes, our health care is a rip off, but even with that factored in the overall COL in America is still among the cheapest of developed countries.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:12 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,775,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It's all relative. People in California don't compare the cost of living and salaries to those in Rome. They compare these things to other places in America.

Despite all the complaining from Americans, our cost of living is pretty reasonable and taxes are low by comparison. Yes, our health care is a rip off, but even with that factored in the overall COL in America is still among the cheapest of developed countries.
The only thing that is important economically is the local purchasing power which is the cost of living vs income. The US is second only to Switzerland which is a very small country.

Countries Compared by Cost of living > Local purchasing power. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

Old 09-01-2014, 11:04 PM

That's right, if you are a no skill, uneducated, lazy person you can move to california and still have just as high quality of life as where ever you came from, if not better. Why wouldn't you? At least then you get to be in california and live in a major city where the weather is phenomenal.

But, if you are an educated white collar employee or a skilled crafstman then sorry, your kind isn't wanted here!! You need to move way out into less desirable areas and have to drive a lot. No free stuff for you. Move to Texas. Tell the poors there to move to California.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 AM

1,165 posts, read 1,220,681 times
I live in California. Personally, I like rural areas and it has many. I also like the weather. In my opinion, though, Los Angeles is the worst city in the world (and I've been to many places). It's really overcrowded and there's no public transportation. It's also, for the most part, visually unappealing. I can't say many good things about LA, but the rest of the state is okay.

Also, I have conservative viewpoints though so my values don't fit with most people in this state.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:16 AM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
That's right, if you are a no skill, uneducated, lazy person you can move to california and still have just as high quality of life as where ever you came from, if not better. Why wouldn't you? At least then you get to be in california and live in a major city where the weather is phenomenal.

But, if you are an educated white collar employee or a skilled crafstman then sorry, your kind isn't wanted here!! You need to move way out into less desirable areas and have to drive a lot. No free stuff for you. Move to Texas. Tell the poors there to move to California.
Here you go again. Running at the mouth without a lick of knowledge of what you say. How many times do you have to be asked to prove your BS, and provide nothing?

What is your interest in California anyway? I am really curious. I have asked you this over and over. Did you ever live here? Do you want to move here?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Here you go again. Running at the mouth without a lick of knowledge of what you say. How many times do you have to be asked to prove your BS, and provide nothing?

What is your interest in California anyway? I am really curious. I have asked you this over and over. Did you ever live here? Do you want to move here?
I have given numerous links but you dismissed them as being biased. Then you immediately resort to ad hominem attacks. You're the same person that has said you want all white collar jobs to leave California so they'll get out of your way. You are hardly a reasonable participant in this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California