Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 04:55 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The plant will be up and running within a year to 18 months.
To be accurate, Elon Musk said they are expecting it to be in production by early 2017, possibly late 2016. IOW, 2 years at the earliest, probably a bit longer.

Quote:
In California, it would take at least 2 1/2 years to get the permits to build, and a year and a half to 18 months to get into operation. In other words, 18 months maximum in Nevada, and 4 years in California to get up and running. Time is money when you want to open a factory, and California just takes too long to get open.
It's more than just a "Time is money" consideration. In this specific case, battery supply is the #1 constraint on Tesla auto production. They can't build the cars faster than they can get the batteries. That's why Musk said repeatedly that the time to completion of the new plant was the #1 factor in the selection criteria. I'm not too sure a lot of people heard that the way he meant it, but Nevada apparently did. All the earthmoving necessary to prep the pad for pouring concrete in the Reno-Tahoe Industrial Park was completed in June.

Quote:
Watch when they put in the new auto facility.
That might be a while. They still have a lot of room for expansion in the Fremont facility.

Quote:
California will probably not be the choice, due to the lag time to start production.
It also might fall elsewhere due to other considerations. China is known to be a market that could be as big or bigger for Tesla than the US market within the next year or two.

Quote:
They want the battery factory to be open in less than 18 months, so will need the auto factory ready to produce cars without the extra 2 years plus California takes.
You have the right idea, but your numbers are a bit off, according to what Musk has talked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:04 PM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
Tesla wanted a bunch of FREE money from CA Mr. Republican. And Brown wouldn't give it to him. If he had, I am sure you'd be complaining about that instead. Just another example of a corporation trying to do the very thing that Republicans rail about; asking for a handout. Cannot have it both ways.

Edit: meant to reply to the OP.
Actually, Think4Yourself and eccotecc [posts #24 and #25 respectively] already posted links to articles that explicitly state that the factory's final Time to Completion took priority.

OpenD [post #26] highlighted Musk's specific quote, explaining that the permitting process is likely what made the difference.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Here's a potential snag. How does Tesla propose to transport shipments of highly flammable lithium-ion batteries from Nevada to Fremont without incident? They're highly combustible. Some Tesla cars caught fire in mid-drive, before the company added a flame-proof undercarriage.

Is this a disaster waiting to happen? I can see now why Tesla might want to move the factory to Nevada.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:06 PM

807 posts, read 898,080 times
Tesla's shipping team already has experience with safely moving batteries great distances so I doubt that there is going to be any special hazard with the NV plant. Besides, large quantities of various types of other lithium and lithium-ion batteries are already being transported every day for common household goods like phones, laptops and power tools.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveNotCommute View Post
Tesla's shipping team already has experience with safely moving batteries great distances so I doubt that there is going to be any special hazard with the NV plant. Besides, large quantities of various types of other lithium and lithium-ion batteries are already being transported every day for common household goods like phones, laptops and power tools.
Yes, but the lith-ion battery cargo on the Malaysian mystery plane were blamed for the supposed on-board fire some witnesses reported. There was discussion about how tricky they are to transport safely.

I guess Tesla has it figured out, though.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
The batteries, which are no more flamable than your cellphone or laptop batteries, will likely be shipped by rail since the location selected has a rail link between the CA factory and the NV factory.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
The batteries, which are no more flamable than your cellphone or laptop batteries, will likely be shipped by rail since the location selected has a rail link between the CA factory and the NV factory.
Obviously. But the question was: is this a trainwreck waiting to happen? When packed together en masse, apparently there's serious fire danger. Tesla had to modify their cars because of that danger. Some of their cars burst into flames during routine drives.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Obviously. But the question was: is this a trainwreck waiting to happen? When packed together en masse, apparently there's serious fire danger. Tesla had to modify their cars because of that danger. Some of their cars burst into flames during routine drives.
As I answered your same question in another thread... not only is there little danger in shipping those uncharged battery packs, nor will they run any risk of accidental puncture by sharp metal debris, like those cars experienced, but I find it highly likely that the output of the new battery plant will be non-flammable.

The technology for non-flammable electrolyte has already been developed, and is being refined and tested, and the rumors are out that the new plant will be using a new chemistry, so it seems highly unlikely to me that they'll build a new $5 Billion plant around old technology.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As I answered your same question in another thread... not only is there little danger in shipping those uncharged battery packs, nor will they run any risk of accidental puncture by sharp metal debris, like those cars experienced, but I find it highly likely that the output of the new battery plant will be non-flammable.

The technology for non-flammable electrolyte has already been developed, and is being refined and tested, and the rumors are out that the new plant will be using a new chemistry, so it seems highly unlikely to me that they'll build a new $5 Billion plant around old technology.
Right, that's an intriguing and encouraging possibility. So the question at this point is moot, until we see what kind of batteries they'll be producing.

Got it. Thanks.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right, that's an intriguing and encouraging possibility. So the question at this point is moot, until we see what kind of batteries they'll be producing.

Got it. Thanks.
It seems to me that the core issue is not what they're going to produce but that they won't be producing it/them in California, aka: no jobs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California