Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 08:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes of course..it's the liberals fault, or maybe better yet it's a plot by Obama. Those Google workers who make triple digit salaries could live anywhere they wanted, they are just clever enough to spend some time sleeping in their car because they can get away with it and are probably doing so to save to buy a house or pay off student loan debt
Yes, no one is forcing six-figure Google employees to live in their cars, so we can probably dispense with any juicy conspiracy theories on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 09:22 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Of course maybe not all, but if not "entitlement", then surely there must be some reason for that overwhelming sense of beleaguered "grievance" and "victimhood" that characterizes conservative arguments these days (and this thread is no exception)? Especially why in California, a state long famous for its sense of independence and self-reliance ("go west young man!")?

Conservative victimhood - The Washington Post
Victimhood? Does not compute! Maybe if I was a real conservative it might but I'll pass, thank you veddy much.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 PM

698 posts, read 798,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I always find it amusing when people thread crap by trying to turn every subject into some kind of protracted religious debate..I bet you could find a perfect forum for your arguments in another forum on city-data, why not try finding one?
Umm..wrong person
Curmudgeon has just one post which barely even references religion.

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 10-07-2014 at 11:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Umm..wrong person
Curmudgeon has just one post which barely even references religion. You're confused

umm not wrong person, my remark was directed at a post of Curmudgeons. I am not under any obligation to dig through this thread and direct my response to whoever made the most comments about religion. I hate to break it to you, but you don't set the rules for these forums.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:06 AM

43 posts, read 90,126 times
[quote=2sleepy;36779974][quote=Ralph78;36778231]

nice try but this scenario is not even realistic.
You are wrong. Actually it is very realistic, and all estimates are on the low side. Investing was calculated at an average return of 6% over the long term. Actual long term investing average runs about 8.5%. Fuel costs are realistic, just factor in the CURRENT gas taxes coming up over the next year and the .50/gal. is accurate. Even more in Texas. Property taxes and state income taxes are accurate. Auto registration data is spot on. The "Regulation" effects come from published data, though it may be harder to prove, so just knock off the $1,000 per year. Still comes out to more than $30,000-$40,000 per year. I understand that your are unable to debate the issue, just respond emotionally, but I really don't really care, and have too much to do, to waste time on trying to change your mind.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
You've injected God into many of your posts just here on the forum.
You've even named your own moniker after him
Nope. Didn't notice it's a lower case "g", did ya? Pray for understanding.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:37 AM

5 posts, read 8,695 times
I grew up over 50 years ago in CA. spent over half my life there and have moved around as an adult.
CA Has always been very diverse especially in the cities not so much in the rural areas.

Gangs have always been a problem their faces have just changed and they have become bolder and more violent with less consequences for their actions.

The bureaucracy also has been an issue for many years I remember a road that started being being that took over 20 yrs to finish as it sat going nowhere. Like everywhere they are more power hungry.

As typical the types of jobs have changed but they did that during the industrial revolution and people have to adjust. It's a fact of life. Sadly soo many jobs have been outsourced while we have soo many people on public assistance. Laws should be changed.

The rudeness factor... Californians are blunt and upfront. It may be mistaken for rudeness.

I live in a southern state where everyone says yes ma'am and no sir and it's just rote engrained habit. Doesn't mean a thing it's not respect it doesn't cover the underlying rudeness they have for "outsiders." It's "southern hospitality" say yes ma'am and no sir with a smile and remember to say bless your heart.
It hides all manner of deceitful things like racism, sexism & bigotry. I've experienced more rudeness in the south by people with so called manners than anywhere ice traveled or lived.

California crime is no worse and maybe better than other places if you consider that San Francisco has less rapes per capita than Dallas TX or Macon GA. Or Olando FL. Denver Co.

Do some comparisons on city-data out you will find overall California is not so bad crime-wise.

Cost of living here (I still consider myself a Californian and hope to move back) when you factor in all things it balances out. Our cost of living was higher in the South than in CA.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:33 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
California is kinda becoming a authoritarian police state with the recent laws that have been passed.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:19 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRichards1996 View Post
I'm actually a Mexican and I've been called Conservative by many people even though I consider myself in the moderate-to-left leaning sphere. That whole White thing gets old too given that many Slavic immigrants over here are White and yet are still pretty poor and non-entitled. I guess just as so many conservatives like to demonize everybody who disagrees with them as un-patriotic or un-American, the libs need to do the same thing by portraying everyone who disagrees with them as an entitled White person. It appears racism has come full circle.
Talk about 'demonizing'… not to mention playing the oppressed 'victim' (of 'racism' no less)?!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:37 PM

35 posts, read 68,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Talk about 'demonizing'… not to mention playing the oppressed 'victim' (of 'racism' no less)?!
I'm actually a Mexican so the liberal racism against White people wouldn't apply to me, although I can still observe it. As I mentioned, many people across all demographics can be poor, entitled, or underprivileged. Making racist stereotypes about certain groups regardless of that group is still uncalled for and more importantly untrue in most cases. It also does nothing to advance an argument or make a logical point; it's an ad-hominem hidden under the veil of cheap rhetoric. Kinda like when the left stereotypes religious people or when the right stereotypes Black & atheist people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California