Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There still are students that use alternative funding methods.

We just hired a nurse that is 28... she enlisted in the military and used her benefits to pay for school.

Scholarships, be it academic, sports or something else like a friends daughter that was awarded a 20k scholarship from the Portuguese American Scholarship fund.

In my case... it was working always one if not more part time jobs, getting all my two year requirements at a community college and then finishing at the University to earn my engineering degree.

I did sometimes wonder what it would be like not having to work... did miss a lot not living on campus at a time not many students were commuters.

For the most part, I was able to schedule class for 8 am to 10:20 at night Tuesday and Thursdays which left me free to work Friday from noon to 12 and Saturday 10 to 6 and Sunday 2 to 6 equaling 24 hours a week.
Yes there are always scholarships but there is no guarantee that someone actually gets them. People can apply for many and only get one or two that pay a couple hundred or a couple thousand and that's it.

The military is always an option for some people that want to but it isn't for everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
This was, of course, several hundred years ago though. Right?

Ok, look. Enough nonsense about people working their way through college. Of course it CAN be done. And of course it is admirable. And of course we're not forgetting that unemployment has been - um, high? shall we say? - in the past 8 or so years? And among the very worst hit for employment have been which age / education level group? And during the past decade or two, have COL risen much? Oh yeah, forgot, huh. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, more and more hiring is dominated by having a degree - actually useful or not.

Sure there are various scholarships out there. But for the vast majority of students? Not.
Yes the cost of living is much higher now along with food and gas and everything else. That is why raising tuition up to 5% while stuffing the pockets of administrators and other top positions is ridiculous.

I'm done here. I regret posting that link. This thread is about California vs. Washington economies, not college tuition. I'm sorry for changing the course of the thread. Just tired of this conversation. Someone has one opinion then someone else comes along and has a different opinion and it goes back and fourth. So exhausting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 04:27 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I'm done here. I regret posting that link. This thread is about California vs. Washington economies, not college tuition. I'm sorry for changing the course of the thread. Just tired of this conversation. Someone has one opinion then someone else comes along and has a different opinion and it goes back and fourth. So exhausting.
lol! Another promising thread sidetracked and circling the drain.

Well, California has.... JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY!

And WA.....doesn't.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:32 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:

The military is always an option for some people that want to but it isn't for everybody.
Boy howdy. Said a mouthful there! to say nothing of the fact that the military is now in severe downsizing mode. Hard to get recruited at the moment. Unless, of course you have a college degree?

Quote:
Just tired of this conversation. Someone has one opinion then someone else comes along and has a different opinion and it goes back and fourth. So exhausting.
Yes. But this is what we DO. This is our "raisin de eating" (for those of you who get that).

Old 12-05-2014, 04:57 PM

19,217 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I'm right behind you, aboveordinary. Ruth said it best. It's circled the drain and down it goes. Time to unsubscribe from this one, too.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm right behind you, aboveordinary. Ruth said it best. It's circled the drain and down it goes. Time to unsubscribe from this one, too.
Was it my bad pun?

Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM

399 posts, read 407,156 times
Quote:
Except you also patently don't recognize that the traditional purpose of college was to enlighten minds through free thinking and broad exposure.
LOL. You apparently have never been to college or know anyone who's been. A liberal arts education is literally an indoctrination. Free thought gets you nothing but the ire of the professor and an angry talk with your parents about why you failed the semester. A liberal arts education is about learning what the "great minds" of the past thought and taught, memorizing it, and parroting it back. These men and women are not to be questioned. Their theories are dogma. Try telling your pinko professor that communism is bullsh**. Lemme know how that turns out for you. You're really misguided if you think universities are a bastion of free thought. They're brainwashing centers that people willingly pay for. Go to university if you want to learn engineering, medicine, or some other such practical field that requires extensive study and a diploma, not to be a free thinker.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:59 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
LOL. You apparently have never been to college or know anyone who's been. A liberal arts education is literally an indoctrination. Free thought gets you nothing but the ire of the professor and an angry talk with your parents about why you failed the semester. A liberal arts education is about learning what the "great minds" of the past thought and taught, memorizing it, and parroting it back. These men and women are not to be questioned. Their theories are dogma. Try telling your pinko professor that communism is bullsh**. Lemme know how that turns out for you. You're really misguided if you think universities are a bastion of free thought. They're brainwashing centers that people willingly pay for. Go to university if you want to learn engineering, medicine, or some other such practical field that requires extensive study and a diploma, not to be a free thinker.
Wow, somebody went to the wrong school. Or read and swallowed somebody's party line.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Kaz, aside from you being a complete *** in so many ignorant ways, I don't disagree with much of what you have said in this case. I remarked the same earlier. However, you completely missed my point on what college was originally intended for. As in Waay back when. At which time it was not at all about parroting back others' thoughts.

Yes. It has fallen into being a total sham. Except as a high tech trade school. But all the more's the pity that the origins of college - that is, building free thinking minds - have been cast off as superfluous to training to make money in the perpetuation of consumer materialism.

Some shallow shirt we live in.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:42 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Kaz, aside from you being a complete *** in so many ignorant ways, I don't disagree with much of what you have said in this case. I remarked the same earlier. However, you completely missed my point on what college was originally intended for. As in Waay back when. At which time it was not at all about parroting back others' thoughts.

Yes. It has fallen into being a total sham. Except as a high tech trade school. But all the more's the pity that the origins of college - that is, building free thinking minds - have been cast off as superfluous to training to make money in the perpetuation of consumer materialism.

Some shallow shirt we live in.
Well, the nice thing is, there certainly do still exist many great minds at our universities who promote free thought and intellectual inquiry for its own gains, over crass consumerism and wealth accumulation. Best of all: Lots of kids "get it"...even some of the rich ones.

Goes for WA and CA (back on topic!)

Old 12-06-2014, 10:48 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
This was, of course, several hundred years ago though. Right?

Ok, look. Enough nonsense about people working their way through college. Of course it CAN be done. And of course it is admirable. And of course we're not forgetting that unemployment has been - um, high? shall we say? - in the past 8 or so years? And among the very worst hit for employment have been which age / education level group? And during the past decade or two, have COL risen much? Oh yeah, forgot, huh. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, more and more hiring is dominated by having a degree - actually useful or not.

Sure there are various scholarships out there. But for the vast majority of students? Not.
After I posted yesterday I asked our Director of Nursing if she knew how many of our Nurses used military benefits to earn their BSN degrees.

I think it is noteworthy that almost 40% in the last 10 years used their military education benefit to pay for College... most were women although not all.

If one looks back father... the then call GI Bill paid for the overwhelming majority of college degrees...

My father and all of his contemporaries plus the fathers of my friends all served and made use of the education and VA home loan benefits.

The latest Registered Nurse I mentioned about always wanted to be a nurse... she came from a single parent household of various modest means... she joined the military at age 18 with the idea to get experience and pay for college... this was not decades ago... she is in her late 20's and accomplished her goal.... she is making $45 an hour as a first year Nurse and doing very well.

Of course there are other ways... another friend that attended Stanford only could do so because her mother worked there...

No one is saying it is easy... I know engineering school was not easy and it because I was working my way through it took 5 years and this is with taking courses year round and summer... I just couldn't take 15 units AND work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California