Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,570,852 times

Advertisements

Thinking in terms of a compromise...

Crescent City would work. Never too hot, never too cold. More rain than other parts of CA, but it doesn't rain all the time. Probably your cheapest CA coast option. I find the people friendly. And Brookings, OR is close enough to do tax-free shopping there.

Or, you may want to even consider just moving to Brookings. It's a nice town, nicer than Crescent City, and is also mild year round. They even get warmer summers because of the eastern winds they get, called the Brookings effect.

You could probably afford Shelter Cove, but it's really remote and I personally, don't like it. It's too small and there aren't beaches that you can really walk on - not like beaches you normally think of.

Either Brookings or Crescent City would also put you really close to the giant redwood forests. I take my dog at least a couple times a week to the redwood forest - and it's just 7 miles away.

This area may be your best compromise. And really, except for the big storm in December and the one we're having now, I've been surprised at how many sunny days we have here.

I lived in western WA and in the mountains (western side) from outside of Vancouver, WA all the way up to Sumas on the Canadian border, including living in Seattle and Bellingham and in Snohomish area. This area has the beauty, without the constant gray or ice and snow.

You don't need to get that far south to find a good compromise. IMO.

Oh, and it's affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,748,652 times
I'm not dissing the most northern coastal communities of CA but why not then just find a good coastal community in Oregon?

Old 02-08-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I'm not dissing the most northern coastal communities of CA but why not then just find a good coastal community in Oregon?
If you're addressing me, I did suggest that. Re-read and search for the word "Brookings."

Oh, and the word "compromise."

If the OP had not included the word "affordable" along with "coastal" and "California" and "central coast," there'd be no need to compromise.

But, far north CA and southern OR coast is mild, affordable, beautiful - no snow - not too hot, and in my experience so far since moving here in November, not constantly gray like everyone thinks.

But, you're right that there is a great option in Oregon, too, in Brookings.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you're addressing me, I did suggest that. Re-read and search for the word "Brookings."
Oooops. I see.
It was just my sense that the o.p. was looking for the rather enticing Mediterranean climate down here (i'm in Santa Cruz county). And it is wonderful although the cost of housing is just absurd and S.C. county is bursting at its seams (too many people!).

Old 02-08-2015, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Oooops. I see.
It was just my sense that the o.p. was looking for the rather enticing Mediterranean climate down here (i'm in Santa Cruz county). And it is wonderful although the cost of housing is just absurd and S.C. county is bursting at its seams (too many people!).
I agree. I love Santa Cruz! But, I can't afford to live there either. But, it turns out I love it here. I love that there aren't many homeless people, and that there aren't long lines everywhere, and there's never a traffic jam, parking is never a problem...and I love the mild temps and I actually love sweater weather, and learned after living in Redding that I'd rather take some cloudy days instead of blazing heat from hell. And I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about jobs. And it's very affordable. So, it works for me up here.

Truly, if I didn't want to stay in CA for my medical and other benefits I get here, I'd seriously consider moving to Brookings. It's a really nice town.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I agree. I love Santa Cruz! But, I can't afford to live there either. But, it turns out I love it here. I love that there aren't many homeless people, and that there aren't long lines everywhere, and there's never a traffic jam, parking is never a problem...and I love the mild temps and I actually love sweater weather, and learned after living in Redding that I'd rather take some cloudy days instead of blazing heat from hell. And I'm retired, so I don't have to worry about jobs. And it's very affordable. So, it works for me up here.

Truly, if I didn't want to stay in CA for my medical and other benefits I get here, I'd seriously consider moving to Brookings. It's a really nice town.
It's a shame what happened (and continues to happen) here. It's long passed the point of sustainability but people keep coming it seems and not the ilk that i prefer. Was i so obnoxious and entitled when i was in my 30's? Nope.
I've thought about heading north but once i get a bit above S.F. i'm unfamiliar with the territory. And way north feels desolate and depressing but maybe that's just an idea or attitude that i need to get over. I don't want to leave CA and i certainly don't want to leave the coast but i can't sustain a balanced life here.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Well, if you needed lots of trendy cafes and people wearing the latest fashions, this wouldn't be the area for you. I felt the same about moving here, and had heard such awful things about drugs and crime and horrible weather - none of which I have found to be true. At least not to the degree people say on CD.

Check it out sometime. And also include going across the border to Brookings and check it out, too. Might be too small and blue collar for you, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

The sun is scheduled to reappear tomorrow and be here for at least a few days. I'll be taking the dog to the Jedediah redwoods to wear her out (just 7 miles away). We also have the option of the beach, but she tends to find dead seagulls to roll in yuck! This type of activity matters more to me than trendy cafes, etc., although even CC has a Starbucks :-)

Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Well, if you needed lots of trendy cafes and people wearing the latest fashions, this wouldn't be the area for you. I felt the same about moving here, and had heard such awful things about drugs and crime and horrible weather - none of which I have found to be true. At least not to the degree people say on CD.

Check it out sometime. And also include going across the border to Brookings and check it out, too. Might be too small and blue collar for you, but you may be pleasantly surprised.

The sun is scheduled to reappear tomorrow and be here for at least a few days. I'll be taking the dog to the Jedediah redwoods to wear her out (just 7 miles away). We also have the option of the beach, but she tends to find dead seagulls to roll in yuck! This type of activity matters more to me than trendy cafes, etc., although even CC has a Starbucks :-)
I'm a a not-so-young, not-so-old "hippie" (or people would label me that way) so trendy cafes and fashion are of no interest to me. And actually, though Santa Cruz county has both, it's still a quite funky place where no one turns their head at anyone who is "different", alternative, etc..
I have no issues with blue collar folks as long as they're tolerant. That applies to any "type" of person. Tolerance of others is key. I don't love the gun culture but as long as people are respectful and skillful with their use then, oh well. That's the way it is.
Unfortunately, there will be a day i'm sad to say that i'll need to leave here. That is unless i win the lottery. So we'll see. I've thought about Sonoma county or Medicino county.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:36 PM

139 posts, read 360,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
The power plant has been decommissioned so it's not as if anything comes out of those "chimneys". Hopefully, it will soon be used to create wave energy...very exciting for Morro Bay.

Dynegy officially closes the Morro Bay Power Plant | Local News | SanLuisObispo
They really should knock down those 3 eyesores. And Dynergy certainly should pay for it. It ruins the beautiful look of the area.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:32 PM

29 posts, read 34,454 times
Try Cambria, Cayucos, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Los Osos, Arroyo Grande, Goleta, San Luis Obispo

All great, depending on your personal preferences! We're still deciding but are leaning toward Arroyo Grande
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California