Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:49 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times

Advertisements

I'll ask again: are you sure it's not an owl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 10:53 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I'll ask again: are you sure it's not an owl?
The OP is on a temporary "vacation" from the forum. Due to return in a couple weeks.

It's a great thread. Mystery theatre. Was it an owl? Bigfoot practicing Rossini in a falsetto? Or the butler, with the candlestick, in the library?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
The OP is on a temporary "vacation" from the forum. Due to return in a couple weeks.

It's a great thread. Mystery theatre. Was it an owl? Bigfoot practicing Rossini in a falsetto? Or the butler, with the candlestick, in the library?

It couldn't possibly be an owl, judging by the OP's description of it. Besides, owls are primarily nocturnal.

The OP thought it might be a marbled murrelet, but I found a youtube recording of those, and they sound more like chirping. She said it had a mechanical feedback type sound. I still think it might be man-made; maybe a couple of guys were looking for certain trees, you know how Redwood "collectors" are, always looking for the tallest, or the oldest, and they were communicating by radio, or something. Maybe it was a paramilitary group, practicing in the forest, using walkie-talkies. Or Forestry Service workers.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
I think there needs to be an investigation into this mysterious sound. If nothing more, just to quell my curiosity.

Reminds me of Tom Hanks in Cast Away. He kept hearing this thumping sound and asking, "What is that?" Finally, a coconut fell at his feet and the question was answered.

Now, NoMoreSnow, get out there and find the source of this noise. You owe it to us.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:11 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out what I've been hearing in the Jedediah Smith redwood forest recently while walking there with my dog.

I thought it might be an elk, but I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos of elk sounds, and I don't think it's an elk.

It sounds like a high pitched whistle, but as if it has an electrical feedback noise in it, too. It's pretty loud for it to be a bird, but I don't know. But, this is why I thought it might be an elk, because it sounds pretty loud for a bird to make. It sounds like one will make this sound on a hill above me, then it sounds like there's an answer down the other side of the hill.

The time of day is usually late afternoon.

Would appreciate any ideas.

I was so excited today to find a banana slug!!! The only other time in my life I saw a banana slug in the wild, was in WA on the Olympic peninsula in the rain forest. Almost stepped on him, but fortunately missed. I had to take a double take. I thought they would be much farther north. Very, very cool little creatures.
I've lived in the redwoods in Santa Cruz county for years so i'm very familiar with the eco-system (this one anyway).
I didn't read the replies as i have very limited time on the internet so maybe someone already let you know that they're probably deer. Deers whistle. Lovely. And yes ... one will whistle and then there will be an answer in another part of the forest ... and so on.
We have loads of banana slugs although with this dry weather there are not so many this winter ... or last.
They're funny. They like beer. Just the other day my friend left one of his almost empty cans out and just before he crushed the can he noticed an end of a banana slug sticking out. Not easy to get it out ... i think he was a bit drunk.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
I've lived in the redwoods in Santa Cruz county for years so i'm very familiar with the eco-system (this one anyway).
I didn't read the replies as i have very limited time on the internet so maybe someone already let you know that they're probably deer. Deers whistle. Lovely. And yes ... one will whistle and then there will be an answer in another part of the forest ... and so on.
We have loads of banana slugs although with this dry weather there are not so many this winter ... or last.
They're funny. They like beer. Just the other day my friend left one of his almost empty cans out and just before he crushed the can he noticed an end of a banana slug sticking out. Not easy to get it out ... i think he was a bit drunk.
Leaving open pie plates of beer around a garden is an old trick to kill slugs. They love the beer and slime their way in to the pond of death. Drunk and drown. Gruesome. But happy at the same time, I imagine

Old 03-19-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Leaving open pie plates of beer around a garden is an old trick to kill slugs. They love the beer and slime their way in to the pond of death. Drunk and drown. Gruesome. But happy at the same time, I imagine
Oh that's right. You just jogged my memory.
My friend likes beer and we live semi-outdoors so he's always leaving his cans and bottles around and then once in awhile he'll crush the cans for recycling. I'm going to find a better system so that he doesn't accidentally crush one. ("all creatures great and small") Being the lush that he is there's no chance of a slug drowning as there's never enough beer left in a bottle or can.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
: there's no chance of a slug drowning as there's never enough beer left in a bottle or can.
Lmao

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
COOL! DEER! Mystery solved! Thanks for joining in. Where in SC County do you live? Some of those mountain communities have mountain lions cruising through.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
COOL! DEER! Mystery solved! Thanks for joining in. Where in SC County do you live? Some of those mountain communities have mountain lions cruising through.

Yes, there are mountain lions around but they don't tend to be in my area ... not their main stomping grounds anyway but we see evidence of them once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California