Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 09:03 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,797,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
We can take it you'll be staying there then?
asking out of curiousity, not because of agenda.

is your boat power, sail, or both?

my next door neighbor has two boats (and a dozen cars, it seems sometimes. they are showoffs) one is a big ol' power boat. the other is half and half. One is for ocean, one is for lake. They have a lot of fun. do some crabbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Maybe because he is offering another way of doing things that excludes being a slave to the automobile.
so how are the poor and working people supposed to get to and from work and go about their daily lives?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:23 AM

21,760 posts, read 16,390,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
asking out of curiousity, not because of agenda.

is your boat power, sail, or both?

my next door neighbor has two boats (and a dozen cars, it seems sometimes. they are showoffs) one is a big ol' power boat. the other is half and half. One is for ocean, one is for lake. They have a lot of fun. do some crabbing.
Ohhh. Loaded question, hoss. Which boat?

Five (and a half) sailboats at present. One sailboat has a diesel "iron sail". Two (and the 1/2) sailboats sport propane outboards. And the remaining two little sailboats have little gas outboards just to get in and put of harbors or if wind totally fails and I need to get dog to beach to take his pee.

Then I have two canoes, human powered only.

Two row boats, one with oars only and the other with oars and a bicycle drive I put in for fun (works fantastic!)

And one inflatable combo canoe that sails, rows, pedals (with the pedal drive), and shares one of the little propane outboards.

Propane outboards are the bee's knees, btw.

Your neighbor has more cars than me. But I win on boats!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Why is the guy who lives on a dinghy and who doesn't commute the person with the most posts in a thread about gas prices? If I commuted, I would own an electric or at least a hybrid vehicle.
Quote:
No, just tired of the antics. Arguing with people and creating drama in a thread about an issue that does not effect him directly at all. Thats total troll behavior.
Hey mbell! Chuckmann's question brought me back to this thread and I suddenly realized something:
Um, how shall I put this? Um, er, you have told us all that you don't commute either! So what are you doing in this thread?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Ahhh, the good ol only look at the difference and not the total cost routine. You sound like a car salesman trying to justify the cost of a new car because the monthly payments between the price the buyers wants and the price the dealer wants is just $20 a month over the duration of the loan.

It is amazing people will scream to high heavan about oil company profits being way too high then later tell us the gas tax is reasonable when the state is making more off of a gallon of gas than the oil companies.

I'm surprised people are not filling up the morgues in other states without the special blends saving the air. The federal standards for gas is adequate, no need to pay even more. Californians are becoming just as bad as Texans, always thinking they are special.

I almost forgot to add "but you can ski and surf in one day so anything the legislator does is ok!"
Where to start. This is not one of your better posts, shooter.

A. The difference between what one item costs and another competitive item costs IS the only meaningful metric. Yep.

B. Oil company profits and state revenues are a complete non-sequitur to - well, anything I wrote. Anyway, it doesn't matter if states make more in tax than companies make in profit. The only thing that matters is what you pay as a consumer here relative to elsewhere. And, as I've pointed out several ways, what you pay relative to benefits received.

C. No other states have anywhere near California's population. And particularly not population in relation to certain natural constraints of air quality as we live with in the valleys. Furthermore, California has set the national, and even international, bar for air quality since back decades ago. And good thing the state did. Because air quality is a killer if not defended. Which, wasn't going to happen if left up to industry now was it? You're welcome.

D. We ARE special. No question about it!

E. Ski and surf in one day! Where else?!

Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,834,221 times
Quote:
Where to start. This is not one of your better posts, shooter.

A. The difference between what one item costs and another competitive item costs IS the only meaningful metric. Yep.

B. Oil company profits and state revenues are a complete non-sequitur to - well, anything I wrote. Anyway, it doesn't matter if states make more in tax than companies make in profit. The only thing that matters is what you pay as a consumer here relative to elsewhere. And, as I've pointed out several ways, what you pay relative to benefits received.

C. No other states have anywhere near California's population. And particularly not population in relation to certain natural constraints of air quality as we live with in the valleys. Furthermore, California has set the national, and even international, bar for air quality since back decades ago. And good thing the state did. Because air quality is a killer if not defended. Which, wasn't going to happen if left up to industry now was it? You're welcome.

D. We ARE special. No question about it!

E. Ski and surf in one day! Where else?!
A. It is not a competitive product since the state mandates a certain type of fuel that is only available in this state.

B. When the argument against oil companies is profit based, relating the taxes the state receives compared to the evil oil company profits is certainly pertinent.

C. Many other states have a much denser population than California. Yet they somehow manage to have clean air. I wonder if California is the only state with valleys?

D. At least you are special

E. Oregon, Washington, Alaska and most of the east coast!

Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,542,406 times
Quote:
Hey mbell! Chuckmann's question brought me back to this thread and I suddenly realized something:
Um, how shall I put this? Um, er, you have told us all that you don't commute either! So what are you doing in this thread?
I took a look in here to see what was going on and what a shock. Tule arguing with people and stirring the pot in a thread that doesn't effect him in any way, just like dozens of other threads. That is the definition of a troll.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,093,971 times
Quote:

Five (and a half) sailboats at present. One sailboat has a diesel "iron sail". Two (and the 1/2) sailboats sport propane outboards. And the remaining two little sailboats have little gas outboards just to get in and put of harbors or if wind totally fails and I need to get dog to beach to take his pee.

Two row boats, one with oars only and the other with oars and a bicycle drive I put in for fun (works fantastic!)

And one inflatable combo canoe that sails, rows, pedals (with the pedal drive), and shares one of the little propane outboards.

Canoes? I LOVE canoes! I find it dismaying that in many places, canoes got supplanted by kayaks. It's good to run into someone who appreciates canoes.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I took a look in here to see what was going on and what a shock. Tule arguing with people and stirring the pot in a thread that doesn't effect him in any way, just like dozens of other threads. That is the definition of a troll.
I see. So, while I have addressed the most key issue of the validity of the thread's premise - which is absurd - and discussed other tangential issues such as gas pricing and taxes and pollution - uh, I am a troll

While you, who hasn't discussed a single topical issue, not even one sentence, but only made personal attacks against me, are what, exactly?

Furthermore my good buddy, what information do you have on whether this topic "effects [sic]" me or not? Do you know how much I drive? Or for what reasons I might drive? Perhaps I freely volunteer my time to drive disabled veterans to medical appointments at my own expense for the gas. Perhaps my two sons "commute to work" daily and I am concerned for their value received. Etc.

You make the point that I do not commute as if that disqualifies me from having an interest in the topic. But, as I pointed out, YOU also do not commute, yet here you are in the thread, making unverifiable observations, and personal accusations and judgements - while you contribute nothing whatsoever to the topic.

I ask you again: what does that make you, mbell?

Now then, let's also wonder about who is entitled to make posts in any thread. As we have all seen in the past, you often agree heartily with posters from other states who bash California. Posts from places like Montana and Texas. Yet those posters do not have any business or life in California. Still you don't chastise them for coming on board to support anti-California agendas.

Do you see any hypocrisy here mbell? Any irony? Do you even know what those words mean?

And I'm also wondering whether you have anything to say about how California gas prices are triple anywhere else in the nation. Seems like a good topic for you.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:

chuckling

what the hell do I know about boats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California