Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is California the best state to live in, in the United States?
Yes 71 38.17%
No 98 52.69%
I don't know. 17 9.14%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM

33 posts, read 35,230 times

Advertisements

No. In 1980 my answer would have been yes.

Now it's too expensive, too liberal, too Mexican, too Asian.

I would kill to live in the California of Ronald Reagan, Mike Brady, the Carpenters, Nixon but now I wouldn't move there for any reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
California would be the best state to live in but right now there's a drought that's getting rid of the water supply.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:22 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
California is the best place to live, if you can afford it. Democrats are in control now, and their well intentioned ideas to make life better for all, including people who don't belong in the United States, are

California is still a great state, and worth living there if you can find a way to afford it. There are a lot of negatives but positives outweigh them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
It's beautiful, has all 4 seasons or just a few, it has every type of business and industry, It has mountains, desert, beaches, valleys, hills, it has multiple metro areas, lots of entertainment, solid Blue politics, international recognition, national importance, Prop 13, Prop 420, 2nd lowest tobacco smoking, health conscious.
California's politics aren't really solid blue, unless you mean that the blues have a majority and rule with an iron grip. Some feel oppressed enough to move, but the pendulum will swing. For example, how solid blue is it that we never legalized same sex marriage? That was done by federal judges. As a result, there will never be specific state legislation to legalize same sex marriage, because the politicians don't need to take that risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yes, on the coasts or in the Bay Area, if you are:

Talented
Highly educated in a high-demand field
Rich
Innovative
OR
A Surfer

No, inland, or if you are:

Poor
Unskilled
Unmotivated
AND
Uneducated or educated in a low-paying or useless profession.

Because everyone wants to live here, it's very competitive. You need to bring your A-game because you're up against both the top talent in the US, as well as rich foreigners and their kids--especially Asians. You're not going to do well here if you just expect to coast through life.

That said, there's a lot of awesome/dream jobs with companies like Google, Apple, SpaceX, Aerojet, Boeing, Movie Studios (production and post) etc. etc. and plenty of opportunity to innovate new cool things and make your fortune if you've got a good idea or are highly skilled/motivated. Also, with many companies located near the water, you can surf on your lunch break or before and after work.

Finally, there are some more laid-back locations away from the SD/LA and SF epicenters. Prices are skyrocketing as wealthy boomers retire to these places, though, so you'd better land/invent a good job or otherwise stake your claim quick!
That isnt just an internet troll. It is a real life attitude from mean people who let Jimmy Kimmel or Kevin and Bean think for them. It is just another chapter in the California tradition of polarization. The majority of Californians have to tolerate this crap on a constant basis. Everyone forgets someone else lives nearer the beach. You can live on the ocean front, or you can live in a crowded narrow street in a tiny house a block from the beach, and try to console yourself by pointing even further inland and calling those residents poor and unmotivated, while IE resldents enjoy their larger, newer, nicer, and more affordable houses and drive to the beach when they feel like it. I lived in San Bernardino County and worked in the software industry, on products developed Inland. Yes there are poor people inland, just like there are in LA and Orange Counties, but your generalizations are way off base.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:54 AM

252 posts, read 519,250 times
California is nice place to live. The weather in California is desirable usually in marine layer/coastal. When you go inland in California the weather is blistering hot especially in the summer. I used have friends in the San Fernando Valley and i would go over to their house in August and it was 118 degrees outside. My shoes were sticking to the pavement ... Crazy

Old 05-02-2015, 06:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
California is nice place to live. The weather in California is desirable usually in marine layer/coastal. When you go inland in California the weather is blistering hot especially in the summer. I used have friends in the San Fernando Valley and i would go over to their house in August and it was 118 degrees outside. My shoes were sticking to the pavement ... Crazy
Everyone outside of CA pictures CA as being like Coastal OC. It aint', but that is the picture they have. Is CA beautiful, yes in many places, but it is also ugly, plain, sorta pretty and so forth in many areas. It is hot, cold, warm, chilly, sunny, cloudy, foggy, and so forth, in some places. If CA were split in 1/2, So Cal would be the ideal and Nor Cal kinda like Oregon and Washington. The total size holds great beauty, but not all close to where someone lives. Then there is traffic ...............................

Old 05-02-2015, 06:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
[quote=Beardown91737;39455035]
That isnt just an internet troll. It is a real life attitude from mean people who let Jimmy Kimmel or Kevin and Bean think for them. [\quote] Dude, who?
Quote:
It is just another chapter in the California tradition of polarization. The majority of Californians have to tolerate this crap on a constant basis. Everyone forgets someone else lives nearer the beach. You can live on the ocean front, or you can live in a crowded narrow street in a tiny house a block from the beach, and try to console yourself by pointing even further inland and calling those residents poor and unmotivated, while IE resldents enjoy their larger, newer, nicer, and more affordable houses and drive to the beach when they feel like it. I lived in San Bernardino County and worked in the software industry, on products developed Inland. Yes there are poor people inland, just like there are in LA and Orange Counties, but your generalizations are way off base.
Yikes, did I strike a nerve? You totally misread my reply.

CA is the best state to live in on the coasts. Inland sucks.

CA is the best state to live in if you are talented, etc. It is not a good place for unmotivated people.

I didn't say inlanders were lazy or stupid, I just think they're crazy to live in a hot, flat, and crowded desert. Bht, yeah, you can drive to the coast with a million, or seven, other weekend warriors.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:21 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
CA is the best state to live in if you are talented, etc. It is not a good place for unmotivated people.
Come to San Diego. I don't know how a lot of these people afford to live along the coast when the entire culture of the area lacks the "culture of motivation," if you will, that can be found in OC, L.A., and the Bay Area.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:49 PM

90 posts, read 147,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Come to San Diego. I don't know how a lot of these people afford to live along the coast when the entire culture of the area lacks the "culture of motivation," if you will, that can be found in OC, L.A., and the Bay Area.
Does San Diego have good public transportation?

Old 05-02-2015, 10:25 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
[quote=wac_432;39463203]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
That isnt just an internet troll. It is a real life attitude from mean people who let Jimmy Kimmel or Kevin and Bean think for them. [\quote] Dude, who?
Yikes, did I strike a nerve? You totally misread my reply.

CA is the best state to live in on the coasts. Inland sucks.

I didn't say inlanders were lazy or stupid, I just think they're crazy to live in a hot, flat, and crowded desert. Bht, yeah, you can drive to the coast with a million, or seven, other weekend warriors.
Then I probably did misunderstand your post.

Unless I am misunderstanding your new post...
- The inland areas are not all flat and not all desert.
- There are three kinds of people:
1. People who can walk to the beach.
2. Those who can ride a bicycle to the beach.
3. Everyone else... the ones who drive to the beach (or maybe their chauffer brings them)

I am number 3. What are you? Beverly Hills is also #3 so no shame in that. Is Beverly Hills part of the Inland that "sucks"? If not, why not?

The other thing I disagree with is that California is not for the unmotivated. California is the absolute best place for the unmotivated, since those of us with jobs have to pay unmotivated Americans not to do the jobs that Americans allegedly won't do, but that Americans actually do in other states. It's also a great place for government employees, who are mostly motivated to spike their pensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWithNoName View Post
Does San Diego have good public transportation?
Beat LA to light rail by almost a decade.

Old 05-03-2015, 12:04 AM

242 posts, read 346,345 times
Ask me if I care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California