Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 34,946 times

Advertisements

Question for anyone in Norcal who is familiar with Humboldt's Loleta, CA - found a good deal on an apt in town and after monstrous amounts of research, i am still left curious of the following:

Crime - Burglaries, etc.

Vibe of neighbors - are they redneck-ish, reserved, know whos who of the town people, watch others movements, etc.

Can they tell transplants from Socal? How do they tolerate this?

Basically, i'm a younger guy who just wants to stick to himself and not be bothered.

I know its a small town atmosphere, just curious if anyone could fill me in with any useful information.

If, so... Thank you !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
First of all, Loleta is in beautiful farm and dairy land. It is between Fortuna and Eureka on the bottom lands of the Eel River. College of the Redwoods is only about 5 miles away, young people should be very common. Loleta is more coastal than Fortuna so it will have more ocean influence. Rednecky, now that is a good term, again, farming is strong here, so I guess redneck kind of goes with it. But these are good farm families that have been here for generations, they are accepting of new comers as long as they don't complain about our rain, fog, the smell of cows and fish or about logging. Just keep an open mind and a tight mouth. Ferndale is across the river from Loleta. Loleta has it's own cheese company called " The Loleta Cheese Company ' that makes cheese from local dairies. Eureka is only about 15 minutes north on 101. There is never really any traffic on 101, so the flow is always at 65 mph or greater, travel times between towns is not that long, I can get to Fortuna from McKinleyville ( 30 plus miles ) in 30 to 40 minutes on most days. It takes a little more than an hour to go 70 miles further north to Crescent City and about 20 minutes more to reach Oregon. The price of gas it the biggest shocker here, it is $3.39 for regular at the local stations and $3.75 for diesel fuel. There is a transit system, but it is not as good as in the Bay region.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default Loleta?

How on earth did you settle on Loleta? The town is so small that anyone new will be noticeable but I think you'll find them friendly. Not many amenities. I think there's ONE grocery store although they do have a butcher or did last time I passed through and I think there are one or two bars, one anyway. I don't believe there's any public transit. It's in the Eel River delta and the surrounding dairies (not much else out there) are subject to flooding in the winter. Have you visited before? I would not suggest signing a long lease without checking out Loleta in person, but if you want lots of cows and not many people, it's your place! Good luck!. .

Old 01-19-2008, 11:40 PM

Default Loleta?

How on earth did you settle on Loleta? The town is so small you will be noticeable but I think you'll find the (small) population friendly. No amenities. There's one grocery store with a meat counter and one or two bars. No public transit. It depends what you're looking for but I wouldn't sign a lease without visiting the town. If you're looking for a place with more cows than people, Loleta is for you.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:50 PM

Default Sorry

for the double post- the server was acting wierd.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 AM

Wow, thank you for the quick responses! Was going to look into signing a 6 mo lease. Came across this town b/c of the remoteness, less chance for crime - as i've been a victim before and its just not cool, and the relatively low rent. Eureka and Arcata also has low rent however they seem to be filled with the kind that would be tempted to burglarize if the chance came about.

Sounds like as long as i keep an open mind (which i always do) and lips shut (i would never slam their tranquil area and lack of things to do), i should be fine. After a little while of saving up some liquid, i would like to buy a place in Mckinleyville, or possibly down to Mendocino.

Cannot express my gratitude to you guys for responding in an extremely helpful manner! Thank you!!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:11 AM

cannot express my gratitude 'enough' i meant

Old 01-20-2008, 10:36 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
You are welcome Norcalwish. I think you will like it here.

Martin

Old 01-20-2008, 12:50 PM

You are welcome and should find your hearts desire in either county. Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California