Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 06:14 PM

166 posts, read 278,551 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on getting a motorcycle soon because it would help with my commute for both work and school immensely (I'm currently relying on public transportation...in San Diego)

So as a first time motorcycle driver, I had a few questions, some of which I believe are specific to California.

1. I'm looking to buy secondhand to save on costs. Is this alright or should you always buy new?

2. I have a license for driving cars. I believe there is a separate one for motorcycles. I obviously get this from the DMV but in order to get it, is it really as simple as being over 21 and passing a written and driving test?

3. Im attracted to Enduros/Dual Sports. Are these street legal in California?

4. Would you recommend enrolling in some sort of CPH-endorsed safety course?

5. Is lane splitting legal in ALL of CA?

6. I've driven scooters in SEA countries where the laws are way more lax. I've driven up to 250cc. Now that I'm switching to an actual motorcycle, would you recommend staying at 250cc or going for 400+?

Thanks. All I could think of right now...I'm still a little confused about the order I should go about doing this (when to buy the motorcycle, take the test for the license, etc..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 07:04 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
I think a motorcycle can make a ton of sense if you're a safe rider. You seem to be asking the right questions, too, so you should definitely look into it.

1. Yes-buy something used. You will likely trade up as you get some experience. Motorcycles are like boats the way they depreciate, so let someone else take the hit on that for your first one, anyway.

2. You will need a separate license. This can be had easier with a safety course, which may also save your bacon. Take the safety course, then get into the express line for your license. It's worth it all around.

3. Any street-legal bike is legal in California.

4. As stated above--take the course.

5. I believe that now lane-splitting is the law. Before, it was policy, but not strictly defined by law. Learn how and when to do it (and especially when not to do it). You don't have to give up fun and convenience to be safe.

6. I think you'll need at least a 400 if you ever want to take it up on a highway with any regularity. I rode a 250 in high school, and eventually burned it out with so much highway riding. A 400 Enduro-style bike is still really light and manageable. You'll appreciate the extra power for commuting and eventually probably want to move up to more.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
Check out this thread I started a few years ago. Great advice throughout.

owning and operating a motor bike in california

I'm riding a 250cc now. Decent for inner-town commuting. Not so much for cross country, long haul rides. It gets 71MPG and cost me ~$7400 out-the-door new.

I highly recommend taking a DMV-certified safety course, which will help with licensing and probably insurance.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:08 PM

Thanks for the great advice, Dal, and thanks for the great link, futbol!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 PM

So buy the bike first, right? This will mean I will have to drive it without a license/registration/insurance, even if it's just to get to the DMV to take the test.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Take advice from some one that has 40+ years riding experience. Always assume no one sees you, because most of the time they dont!

Old 06-29-2015, 09:47 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
No. You cannot legally ride a motorcycle on public roads without a motorcycle endorsement on your license. And you must have insurance before riding on the roads also.

Very, very highly recommend taking the Basic Rider Safety course, (or whatever it is currently called), from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. In addition to teaching yoiu how to stay alive out there, passing the riding test satisfies the DMV driving skills test. All you will have to do is take the written test at the DMV, (and show your MSF card). The MSF card will also get you a break on your insurance.

The MSF will supply bikes for the ridden portion of the course. They are usually 250cc Rebels or similar. You want to use one of their bikes because there are some pretty inexperienced riders taking the course and you don't want them running into your own personal bike because they forgot how the brakes work.

Used bikes are fine. In fact, I've only purchased one new bike in all my years of riding. Got my first bike in 1969 right out of high school. The one new bike is the one I have now. Unless you really know what you are doing, it is best to purchase a used bike from a new bike dealership. It will cost a bit more, but you can have confidence that the bike is a good one. Dealers have a reputation to maintain and they won't sell junk or bikes that need work.

Good luck. Ride responsibly and keep the rubber down.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:28 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,137,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadwood86 View Post
So buy the bike first, right? This will mean I will have to drive it without a license/registration/insurance, even if it's just to get to the DMV to take the test.
No. Take the safety course first. Ride their bikes and get your endorsement that way. You'll be able to take the written test only to receive your endorsement, upon completion of the course.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM

54 posts, read 96,060 times
As others stated, take the California Motorcyclist Safety Program course. You should take (and pass) the written test beforehand. Passing the course gives you a waiver for the skills test from the DMV.

Lane Splitting in California has always been allowed. A law to regulate Lane Splitting has been passed by the state house and is expected to move to the senate next month.

I suggest you buy a motorcycle that you feel you could manage comfortably in all conditions. Dual Sports work very well in traffic as the upright riding position makes it easy to see what is going on around you and are easy to control. My opinion is to avoid bikes that are too large or too powerful to handle in tricky situations. "Too Big" will depend on your skill as well as the roads and traffic in your area. I have ridden a 250 to coast to coast twice and to Alaska. Would that work for everyone? No. A 250 Dual Sport is pretty slow on highways and freeways. In town it is fine. I think a 400 or the more common 650 would be better all around size if the height and weight weren't an issue.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
There are some incredible deals out there in used motorcycles. Many bikes sit unused in garages, 30 years old with only a few thousand miles on them. I think the best value for the buck are old Honda Goldwings, built to run trouble free for 300,000 miles plus with little maintenance. I picked up a 1983 1100 for $500 with only 8000 miles on it. My favorite is my 1998 Honda Valkyrie 1520 I bought with 20,000 miles for $3000. Big bikes are a blast but can be a bear in town. A small bike is easier to get around in town but will beat you up on the highway. I have 6 motorcycles in my driveway now.

If I remember a 125cc is freeway legal but it has to be a 2 cyl. Even thou a 500cc single cyl is legal as well.

First things first.
1. Get a DMV motorcycle handbook and read, read and read.
2. Take the written test for a DMV motorcycle permit. The fee is good for three attempts. You get to keep your test sheet, 4 tests are used and you will not receive the same test twice. Be aware they are pretty much the same other than the order of questions.
3. Buy a helmet and leather gloves. Helmet must have a DOT label, a SHOEI label is a better helmet available.
4. Enroll in a state motorcycle safety course. Motorcycles are provided. If you arrive on a motorcycle it will have to remain outside the course with the automobiles, no exceptions. If you drop their motorcycle or crash it you are out. Leather boots are suggested but footwear must be above ankles so tennis shoes are a no go.

The big advantage of the motorcycle safety course is after completion you do not need to do the road test at the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California