Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,331,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
Why can't I just ask a simple question about why California's economy seems to be falling apart?
From where I am sitting in the state, I see no signs of California's economy falling apart. We also aren't experiencing a drought, our reservoirs are fuller this year than they were last, and we haven't been asked to ration beyond some really obvious restrictions that don't affect anyone who wasn't wasting water in the first place. The job market in the North Bay is extremely solid--or worst case for those who must always see things pessimistically--the job market is significantly improved over the crash of 2007. The housing market has also completely recovered since 2007 with home prices restored to pre-2007 rates. It has been a seller's market here for quite a few years. We are also--finally--seeing major infrastructure construction going on, with highway improvements and a commuter rail system going in on the 101 corridor.

So, maybe you're getting a response because of the way you've chosen to phrase your questions. As another poster said, you've come at the forum with the classic, "Are you still beating your wife?" question, then you scratch your head when people respond negatively. There is a major difference between "Why is your economy falling apart?" and "IS your economy falling apart?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
From where I am sitting in the state, I see no signs of California's economy falling apart. We also aren't experiencing a drought, our reservoirs are fuller this year than they were last, and we haven't been asked to ration beyond some really obvious restrictions that don't affect anyone who wasn't wasting water in the first place. The job market in the North Bay is extremely solid--or worst case for those who must always see things pessimistically--the job market is significantly improved over the crash of 2007. The housing market has also completely recovered since 2007 with home prices restored to pre-2007 rates. It has been a seller's market here for quite a few years. We are also--finally--seeing major infrastructure construction going on, with highway improvements and a commuter rail system going in on the 101 corridor.

So, maybe you're getting a response because of the way you've chosen to phrase your questions. As another poster said, you've come at the forum with the classic, "Are you still beating your wife?" question, then you scratch your head when people respond negatively. There is a major difference between "Why is your economy falling apart?" and "IS your economy falling apart?"

All this...plus he's a kid that has never lived here and probably has never visited.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:00 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
I feel like people are mis-reading my statements sometimes. Why can't I just ask a simple question about why California's economy seems to be falling apart? I haven't said anything hateful, and I never said that California is a bad place. I just want to know why it seems to have so many problems. I get my information through extensive research, even if I don't live in the place. It's not a bad place to live, but some of the problems I listed in my other posts here could be difficult to deal with for some people if they aren't prepared. I have only posted one thread here, this one a few weeks ago. Today I just put up a poll about how people feel about living there.
"Difficult to deal with"?, No it's just irritating, especially when you frame your rant in the form of a question so that you can walk it back. You claim to extensively research your claims, if so then put your money where your mouth is and provide support for these claims:

Quote:
Santa Ana has an average household size of about 4.9, according to Census statistics, and most of Orange County also has a household occupation number that's very high.
It seems like half of the reason for this is that there are up to 10 people living in a one-bedroom apartment in much of this county.
Quote:
Yeah, exactly! People used to say it was a nice place back in the good old days. But the place has a lot of overcrowding and a high population, which I'm pretty sure leads to most of the problems there such as a high cost of living, mean people, and stricter laws, and a serious drought. Not to mention that there are so many illegals moving there.It seems like people would do anything to have nice weather year-round.
Quote:
I don't live there, but I second it. There is no doubt that California has high traffic and a lot of overcrowding.The state has a bunch of laws laid down thick and heavy.The cost of living is high, and not enough pay to make up for it, a lot of crime and unemployment. There's a high population there, which is one of the reasons why they have a drought.California ranks 48th in education of the 50 states. And has so many illegal immigrants.But New York City has more traffic than even San Francisco. It also has a higher population density.
Quote:
I also regularly hang out in the California forum, and post about how it's been falling apart in recent years, largely due to overpopulation, unreasonably strict laws, and an unreasonably high cost of living, (the cost of living there is A LOT higher than in Alaska). California's economy is one of the worst in the nation.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:05 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
All this...plus he's a kid that has never lived here and probably has never visited.
Read his posts...he admits he hasn't been west of the Mississippi.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I'm actually 18 years 5 months. I graduated HS recently, so at least I'm a legal adult.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:23 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
I'm actually 18 years 5 months. I graduated HS recently, so at least I'm a legal adult.
Well some serious advice...whenever you're able, get off the computer and the research and visit some of the places you think you know a lot about. You will love it. It will greatly expand your mind and your posts will seem silly in hindsight.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:20 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
California has a jumble of laws that are much stricter than most other states.....What makes California a state with unusually S.T.R.I.C.T. legislation?
Glad that our laws are as strict as they are.
How strict California rules on emissions led to lower cancer risk - LA Times

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,876 times
Don't you know that 15-25 year olds are the smartest people on the planet?

So much that it even impresses them how much smarter the 35+ crowd gets as they age.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What does that have to do with the vast majority of excessive regulations?

Yes air pollution is down and that is great, but that is one issue only.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:27 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What does that have to do with the vast majority of excessive regulations?
Yes air pollution is down and that is great, but that is one issue only.
then how about naming the issues for which regulation have conveyed no benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California