Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:00 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,176,477 times

Advertisements

What type of summer weather do you prefer? Please rank these California major locations in order from your most to least favorite ONLY considering SUMMER weather (consider a TYPICAL summer and NOT abnormally warm weather you've been getting in San Francisco this summer). Also do not consider anomalies like a one or two day long heat wave.

A) San Francisco coast (Typical July day is 57/50 F with fog, wind, and maybe an hour of sun if you're lucky!).

B) L.A coast (Typical July day is 75/65 F with the marine layer burning off at around noon). San Diego coast is virtually identical so didn't include SD as a separate choice even though its the second largest city in CA)

C) L.A. downtown (Typical July day is 85/65 F with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM).

D) Sacramento (Typical July day is 95/55 without a cloud in sight for months on end. COLD early morning, HOT afternoon but pleasant mid mornings and evening).

D) San Jose (Typical July day is 80/55 with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM. COLD morning, warm afternoon).

In order of my preference:

C) L.A. Downtown (warm days, nights just cool enough to open a window)
B) L.A. coast (wish the days were warmer)
D) Sacramento (way too much diurnal range and too cold at night and too hot by day but at least you get a "summer").
D) San Jose (nights too cold but days seem okay; could be warmer)
A) San Francisco. (what the heck is "summer"? I'm wearing a heavy sweater and a jacket and still feeling cold from all that fog and wind)

I've been loving this unusual summer with a reduced gradient between the coast and inland temperatures and occasional warm summer rain/thunderstorms (wish they'd happen here more often!).

Please post your rankings of the locations I posted and then feel free to add your own additional locations as well as comments about this summer so far.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 08-09-2015 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:31 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
What type of summer weather do you prefer? Please rank these California major locations in order from your most to least favorite ONLY considering SUMMER weather (consider a TYPICAL summer and NOT abnormally warm weather you've been getting in San Francisco this summer). Also do not consider anomalies like a one or two day long heat wave.

A) San Francisco coast (Typical July day is 57/50 F with fog, wind, and maybe an hour of sun if you're lucky!).

B) L.A coast (Typical July day is 75/65 F with the marine layer burning off at around noon). San Diego coast is virtually identical so didn't include SD as a separate choice even though its the second largest city in CA)

C) L.A. downtown (Typical July day is 85/65 F with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM).

D) Sacramento (Typical July day is 95/55 without a cloud in sight for months on end. COLD early morning, HOT afternoon but pleasant mid mornings and evening).

D) San Jose (Typical July day is 80/55 with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM. COLD morning, warm afternoon).
1)San Francisco coast Perfect summer weather! Its the most comfortable summer weather in the country. Even if I move to the east coast I might come back to Pacifica or Half Moon Bay for a month in August. When I first moved to SF ten years ago I did not appreciate the comfortable summers as much as I do now.

2)L.A. Coast Ok, not too hot if I stay west of the 405.

3)San Jose Too hot and sunny but at least one can escape to Santa Cruz.

4)LA Downtown Too hot and smoggy. I might go to Little Tokyo for lunch then quickly head back to Redondo before traffic gets bad.

5)Sacramento Hell on earth for summer weather. If I lived there my air conditioning bill would probably be higher than the mortgage payment. However I like many other things about Sacramento and enjoyed visiting there in December.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:40 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,694,123 times
San Francisco -- no contest!
Laguna Beach (Orange County)
Oceanside (North San Diego County)
San Diego
Carmel (Sigh -- I can't afford a dog house there)
Monterey/17 Mile Drive (Can't afford an ant maze there)

Old 08-09-2015, 01:43 PM

6,907 posts, read 8,279,210 times
1)L.A. Coast and Orange Cnty Coast Perfect, never gets too hot, usually in 70's. Nighttime, rarely below 62F but, comfortable, the wind and coastal low clouds move-in just when it starts to get too warm. 75F-82F on the beach feels warmer than NorCal on the beach because the breeze is warm enough so it's not cool/cold. You rarely have 72F+ temps on a NorCal beach during regular on-shore conditions.

2)San Jose Near perfect, lots of sum, mostly low 80'sF, low humidity, except at night and morning when marine layer is present. It cools early in the late afternoon and stays comfortable well beyond noon the next day. A/C rarely needed, but still wise to have it for the few hours in a day when needed or during a very brief mini heat wave.

3)Sacramento Very comfortable summer nights and mornings most of the time - 60's. Many Californians don't know Sacramento cools to near bay area temps high 50's and low 60's in night and morning. Excellent summer evenings for backyard pool and bbq times.

After a very warm day you almost always can count on significant dramatic cooling that makes a difference in comfort and cooling bills. I like that Sacramento has a Real Summer, high 80's low 90's most of the time for daytime high temps, but a very dry heat. But not bone dry like the desert southwest(palm springs-vegas-phoenix), and NOT humid like texas, florida, midwest, east coast. But you count on 5-7 days where the heat index is 100F+, as opposed to like 95 days in the desert southwest.

A/C is very much recommended, but you will not need to run it 24/7 as much of the country or desert southwest. If desired, Easy to find very cool temps when needed either on the coast or the Sierras -- no more than 1hour away. When you go east its forested green cool mountains.

4)Beyond Downtown LA - (East and North) Pasadena/SV Valley/SG Valley/Inland Empire Very much like Sacramento, but Sacramento gets cooler at night and morning, and the air is cleaner in Sacramento. When you go east from inland LA; its the Desert and sizzling hot. Hard to find green and clean air.

5)San Francisco coast -FREEZING COLD in the summer, No summer at all, Never a cloudless/fogless sky. Long pants sweaters needed. Never a good warm backyard pool bbq setting where you can be shirtless most of the day. When it is warm, for like one day out of the year; its miserably humid. Nobody has A/C and the concept of a warm summer day doesn't exist and when it does get over 78F, the city is just too much small with too many people living close together that it feels so uncomfortable.

Last edited by Chimérique; 08-09-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 01:46 PM

962 posts, read 631,234 times
From most favorite to least favorite: San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, LA coast, and LA downtown. This is based on the weather in the summer.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:57 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I think I would go with the following:

1. Sacramento
2. LA Coast
3. LA Interior
4. San Jose
5. San Francisco

I tend to like hot summers, but don't like hot evenings, which make it hard to sleep, and make it hard to exercise. Sacramento seems somewhat unique in having nice cooling in the evenings, and mornings, but it still warm enough for BBQs, swimming, etc. LA is pretty moderate most of the time, as is San Jose. San Francisco does not really feel like summer to me. It is a great treat coming from the interior, but I would tire of it, if the whole summer were like that. Sacramento is also central to more climates (Coast, Sierra), that one can sample through the summer.

Old 08-09-2015, 02:28 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post

5)San Francisco coast -FREEZING COLD in the summer, No summer at all, Never a cloudless/fogless sky. Long pants sweaters needed. Never a good warm backyard pool bbq setting where you can be shirtless most of the day. When it is warm, for like one day out of the year; its miserably humid. Nobody has A/C and the concept of a warm summer day doesn't exist and when it does get over 78F, the city is just too much small with too many people living close together that it feels so uncomfortable.
That's untrue. San Francisco might not have a typical summer like Sacramento but the city has many microclimates year around. It could very well be foggy and cloudy in the Sunset, Richmond, Seacliff and other western neighborhoods, still Sunshine can be found east of Market in The Mission, Portero Hill, SoMA, Outer Mission.

SF gets heatwaves too, most of the time in September and October, which are the summer months.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:05 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
This is my ranking:
1. Monterey
2. LA Coast
3. San Francisco Coast
4. LA inland (Yuck, too hot and muggy)
5. Sacramento (Double yuck with extra smog on top)

I cannot stand hot, muggy Summers that get into the 80s+. For outdoor exercise like running, hiking, biking, etc... it stinks. I grew in up along the LA Coast (Hermosa Beach) and now live in Monterey. I prefer the cooler Summers we have in Monterey (60s/70s during the day) to the LA Coast. Though the difference is typically only ~ 5 degrees. I am speaking of the Sunbelt region which generally has more sun throughout the day than the surrounding area from Carmel to Marina. Since you left out the 'entire Central Coast' from northern Santa Barbara county to Santa Cruz (which is warmer than SF), I must include Monterey.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:17 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,041,250 times
My rankings:

A) L.A coast (Typical July day is 75/65 F with the marine layer burning off at around noon). San Diego coast is virtually identical so didn't include SD as a separate choice even though its the second largest city in CA)

B) San Francisco coast (Typical July day is 57/50 F with fog, wind, and maybe an hour of sun if you're lucky!).

C) San Jose (Typical July day is 80/55 with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM. COLD morning, warm afternoon).

D) L.A. downtown (Typical July day is 85/65 F with a marine layer burning off at around 9AM).

E) Sacramento (Typical July day is 95/55 without a cloud in sight for months on end. COLD early morning, HOT afternoon but pleasant mid mornings and evening).

Old 08-09-2015, 07:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
I like it cool, so

SF
LA coast
San Jose
LA downtown
Sacramento
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California