Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 16,464 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My daughter is graduating next year (from high school)and wants to obtain an associates degree and/or certificate in photography. I have been reading more negatives of California than positive. If I were to choose to move to California for her to attend a two year program school is there a particular school I should be looking into? Is there an area that may be safer and alittle more affordable for rent that we could relocate to? I first looked into Fresno City College but the reviews of Fresno mainly stated the higher crime rate (robbery/theft). Basically, I'm starting from scratch here and I don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:42 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer36 View Post
Hi all!

My daughter is graduating next year (from high school)and wants to obtain an associates degree and/or certificate in photography. I have been reading more negatives of California than positive. If I were to choose to move to California for her to attend a two year program school is there a particular school I should be looking into? Is there an area that may be safer and alittle more affordable for rent that we could relocate to? I first looked into Fresno City College but the reviews of Fresno mainly stated the higher crime rate (robbery/theft). Basically, I'm starting from scratch here and I don't know where to begin. Any help would be appreciated.
The Santa Rosa Junior College is one of the highest rated in the country. I don't know about their photography program, but it's a college to consider.

As for crime: Take it with a grain of salt. There are parts of Richmond and Oakland I wouldn't go at night. What's the So Cal equivalent? Compton? But short of that, I wouldn't rank any California city as horribly unsafe. Most violent crime rates here are gang and/or drug related. If you're not in a gang or not a dealer, you'll be okay.

Personally, I think some of the most unsafe places for college girls is major college campuses. Looking for a smaller city college and going with her resolves that problem for you.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:42 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,670,168 times
Photography is one of those that is now found online and there is no need to move anywhere.
But if one is looking to attend in California, there are art schools in the Bay Area.
Depending on class scheduling, one would not have to live in the city the school is in, but live in a less congested area of the Bay Area.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer36 View Post
Hi all!

Why does she need to come to CA for a two year degree? That's ridiculous.

If you came on here and said my daughter got accepted to USC and is getting a scholarship but I heard the area around the school isn't good, that would be one thing.

Sounds more like your daughter wants to come to CA to "party", you don't move out of state to get a two year degree, and certainly not in photography.

Beyond silly.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:56 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

If you came on here and said my daughter got accepted to USC and is getting a scholarship but I heard the area around the school isn't good, that would be one thing.

Sounds more like your daughter wants to come to CA to "party", you don't move out of state to get a two year degree, and certainly not in photography.

Beyond silly.
Good point. I'd guide my daughter toward local collages first.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,366 times
What's ridiculous is people who feel the need to dodge the question and instead butt into matters that are none of their business.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:13 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
You don't need to move to where your daughter goes to school, unless she is disabled and you are the primary caregiver, or some such.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
As for crime: Take it with a grain of salt. There are parts of Richmond and Oakland I wouldn't go at night. What's the So Cal equivalent? Compton? But short of that, I wouldn't rank any California city as horribly unsafe. Most violent crime rates here are gang and/or drug related. If you're not in a gang or not a dealer, you'll be okay.
Well said.

At the end of the day, most violent crime is targeted "player" on "player". San Diego is no different than northeren California. A few problem areas best avoided at night aside, I never felt threatned anywhere in San Diego.

There were a few times when I did not want to be panhandled by druggee type semi homeless youth in Ocean Beach, or did not want to put up with dim wit patrons at a loud boisterous bar, but I never felt at risk of violent crime- and I went everywhere.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:26 AM

15 posts, read 16,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Beyond silly.
My daughter is infatuated with Cali and wants to become a photographer so I figured if we started looking into areas that have community colleges that offer a photography program. I planned on coming with her because with community colleges there is no dorm so it would be cheaper for her if I accompany her, besides my daughter is not quite ready to go halfway around the country without me yet. We are actually looking at schools across the US but Cali is her top place at this point. She may decide to go forth with a BFA but right now an AA degree is what she is looking to do.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
op, I think one thing you may want to do is check the cost of out of state tuition even for community college. Just because she is fascinated with the state isnt a reason for you to uproot and move there. BTW, Cali is a name many object to; it is either California of just use the CA, but Cali is a city in Columbia.

There are a lot of good CC throughout the state, but depending where you are coming from, have you even thought about the col in California and will you have trouble finding work?

Everyone has to do what is best for them, but I would never even think of moving to a new state for my child to attend a Community college.

I noticed, from your other postings, you have a 14 yr old son, but you don't mention your daughter. Do you have 2 kids? I also noticed you want to get a job making about $36,000 or so a year, live near the water and in an area not high in crime. I don't think any of this will work in Ca. You can not support yourself and one or two kids, live in a decent neighborhood on that kind of income.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-04-2015 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California