Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the one, worst thing about traffic and driving in So Cal
Too much traffic (too crowded) 36 75.00%
People are too aggressive 5 10.42%
People drive too fast 4 8.33%
other (specifiy in your post) 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM

1,512 posts, read 8,166,303 times

Advertisements

What is the one, worst thing about traffic and driving in Southern California? Aggressive drivers, people drive to fast, too much traffic, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 11:19 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Even though I voted too much traffic all of those factors combined are what really make it bad. Not only is it 'way' overcrowded but people drive crazy, get more aggressive because they hate it also, etc...

After sitting in 1-2+ hours in rush hour crazy traffic it really gives you plenty of time to ask yourself one simple question. Why am I doing this? And the follow-up question. Is this really necessary? Or how many places can I live where this is not necessary?

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Traffic in So Calif is like Snow in Minnesota and rain in Oregon. You live those places, you get used to it and deal with it. I will say I never had to drive the freeways to get to work so it was never too bad. So find a place close to work, or find a job close to home and eliminate the problem. My drive time was 20 minutes or so.
I lived in OC for 50 years and loved every minute of it. Now I have taken my appreciation money and moved to the IE, where all of those problems are miniscule

Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM

44 posts, read 237,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I lived in OC for 50 years and loved every minute of it. Now I have taken my appreciation money and moved to the IE, where all of those problems are miniscule

Wow, talk about a major change.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
The unhealthy effects of stress.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:40 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I will say I never had to drive the freeways to get to work so it was never too bad. So find a place close to work, or find a job close to home and eliminate the problem... Now I have taken my appreciation money and moved to the IE, where all of those problems are miniscule
Well, the topic really is about driving 'in' the traffic. But I do agree that the best way to deal with it is to avoid it all together if at all possible. Unfortunately for 'many' that is not always an option - job further away from home (eg - downtown LA) or driving as a part of one's job. I did both of these for a 'season.' And take my word for it when I say you never really get used to it. You may accept it as a necessary evil to achieve certain goals, etc... But it never becomes something good or not a problem. Rush hour, bumper to bumper, stop and go is stressful, hard on the back/neck, and just plain stinks IMO.

BTW, where/what is IE (Internet Explorer)?LOL... Just curious.

- Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-04-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 11:09 AM

215 posts, read 976,691 times
Default Ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, the topic really is about driving 'in' the traffic. But I do agree that the best way to deal with it is to avoid it all together if at all possible. Unfortunately for 'many' that is not always an option - job further away from home (eg - downtown LA) or driving as a part of one's job. I did both of these for a 'season.' And take my word for it when I say you never really get used to it. You may accept it as a necessary evil to achieve certain goals, etc... But it never becomes something good or not a problem. Rush hour, bumper to bumper, stop and go is stressful, hard on the back/neck, and just plain stinks IMO.

BTW, where/what is IE (Internet Explorer)?LOL... Just curious.

- Derek
IE = Inland Empire :-)

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 AM

8 posts, read 19,296 times
Too much traffic makes driving not fun anymore.......seriously the only time you can enjoy driving is at night where nobody is on the road and it shouln't be like that. cry cry.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
I voted "too crowded" because the other problems stem from that. We do have good roads compared to a lot of other places but they're just way beyond capacity except on major holidays like Christmas. I consider speeding to the point to reckless driving a subset of aggressive driving. When a resource (like space on the road) is scarce, people fight over it and it expresses itself as dangerous driving as everyone tries to get an advantage over others.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Impatient drivers, aggressiveness, and speed (if possible) can all be summed up for me as the one big problem with traffic in So Cal. I try to use the train or ride-share when possible, but bring a boat load of humor with me when I must drive. You can't take it all to serious; it might get you killed!

Stuck On the Freeway - L.A.'s ultimate symbol embodies a future that is screeching to a halt by John Powers is a poetic read on LA's freeway... eh... dilemma: Stuck On the Freeway | Table of Contents | LA Magazine (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California