Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 03:06 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,459,910 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of talk of the Hispanicization of California. However there are some places that are the exception to that trend. In Echo Park and Hollywood in LA and the Mission in SF Hispanics are being replaced by White Hipsters. In El Monte working class Hispanics are being replaced by Chinese who are being priced out of Monterrey Park. I also see Hispanic Areas turning Asian over time in the Eastern San Gabriel Valley, West Covina, Pomona, Northern Orange County, and parts of the East Bay such as Hayward and San Leandro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 03:22 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
and the Mission in SF Hispanics are being replaced by White Hipsters.
For the record, while the hispanic population in the mission district has been dropping due to gentrification (which has gotten lots of media attention), the hispanic population in SF as a whole is rising, and has been doing so nonstop since at least 1940. Percentage-wise, SF probably hasn't been this hispanic since back when it was literally part of spain/mexico (though it was obviously a tiny village back then).

Old 12-31-2015, 04:45 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,459,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
For the record, while the hispanic population in the mission district has been dropping due to gentrification (which has gotten lots of media attention), the hispanic population in SF as a whole is rising, and has been doing so nonstop since at least 1940. Percentage-wise, SF probably hasn't been this hispanic since back when it was literally part of spain/mexico (though it was obviously a tiny village back then).
I'm guessing most that growth is taking place by hispanics displacing blacks in Hunters Point.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Thank goodness someone finally started a thread to address this compelling issue.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Thank goodness someone finally started a thread to address this compelling issue.
You just broke my sarcasm detector.

How about this?: Wherever a Chick-fil-A or a Panda Express has taken over a Taco Bell.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You just broke my sarcasm detector.

How about this?: Wherever a Chick-fil-A or a Panda Express has taken over a Taco Bell.
It's my experience that Asians are better than Hispanics at detector repairs. In any case you will likely have a hard time finding a white detector repair shop in most California neighborhoods anymore. They've all moved to Austin. With Willie Nelson.

As for the Chick-fil-A / Panda Express / Taco Bell dynamic, all I can offer is that I think it'd be interesting to see if Weiner Schnitzel Haus's could be resurgent in spite of those sub-ethnic choices. To maintain purity of diet for Americans of European decent[sic]. But California is not likely to lead the reform, of course. I may have to move to Austin. With Willie.

Last edited by Tulemutt; 12-31-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 09:16 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,010,151 times
Weiner Schnitzel's pledge to rule the fast food industry for a thousand years went awry when they overdid the subliminal messaging on their muzak boxes with their rendition of "Weiner Schnitzel Uber Alles".

Old 12-31-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Weiner Schnitzel's pledge to rule the fast food industry for a thousand years went awry when they overdid the subliminal messaging on their muzak boxes with their rendition of "Weiner Schnitzel Uber Alles".
Yes, the politically correct crowd ruined a great schnitzel there. But I'll tell you the schnitzel lovers are fantastic people really. I have lots of Weiner Schnitzel friends who I love and they love me, and I've gotten hundreds of tweets from them supporting my call for re-establishment of that establishment. It's really just a matter of making more great deals, which I'm very good at, I can tell you. Very very good. The Chinese and the Mexicans are very clever and they are making us schnitzel lovers look very bad by beating us at making deals to open so many Panda Expresses and Taco Bells in our neighborhoods and not letting us open Weiner Schnitzel Haus's in China and Mexico. But that's all going to change when I call the shots. I'm going to open Schnitzel Haus's all over Mexico and China and they're going to pay for it.

Is the OP still with us?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 PM

8,338 posts, read 6,421,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Is SF San Francisco or San Fernando?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:24 PM

135 posts, read 169,809 times
I am partial to both categories of hispanics as decided by a natural born hispanic friend, and that is the hard-working family man with a friendly demeanor who is harmless when it comes to violence and the downright gangbanger where they become your caring friend as long as you listen to them and have a sense of humor. I think they all have an undying connection with family whether its immediately visible or not and this I admire.

With that said, it seems like they all have this ultimate goal to takeover their living quarters by procreating at an unbeatable pace. They've shown me their ability to buy $500k houses and drive $60k SUVs while supporting 10 family members in one household, so I think the ongoing trend of them infiltrating a neighborhood near you is only going to increase.

My response is, "take it, it wasn't mine to begin with."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California