Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 05:09 PM

6,906 posts, read 8,275,166 times

Advertisements

Almonds in California: They use up a lot of water, but they deserve a place in California’s future.

Two industries that use much more water than Almonds:

The Meat Industry

The Dairy Industry

Quit demonizing one of California's most Successful & Cherished Industries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 05:19 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,743,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Almonds in California: They use up a lot of water, but they deserve a place in California’s future.

Two industries that use much more water than Almonds:

The Meat Industry

The Dairy Industry

Quit demonizing one of California's most Successful & Cherished Industries.
Right on!
Although i don't know enough about this whole deal.

But almonds are so good for the body! And super yummy ... and the only nut that alkalizes, ie; is not acidifying.

And yeah, meat and dairy ... not good for the body in excess (and everyone eats waaaaaay too much of both) and not good for the planet.
Cow farts = methane = global warming.

meat free monday ... so easy you can do it too!
About - Meat Free Monday

Old 01-29-2016, 05:38 PM

21,738 posts, read 16,350,818 times
I agree with vilification of meat and dairy industries - as well as the almond industry. However, the thread I started about the almond industry was in response to a current news article highlighting a challenge now being experienced by the almond industry. No particular parallel is in process for the meat and dairy industries. Nontheless, feel free to attack them as you wish without any argument from me, for one.

And that said, above, none of your observations changes the realities I pointed out regarding almonds in California. Zip.

I'd also point out that, wasteful and polluting as meat and dairy farming has become, those industries are not growing by leaps and bounds by tearing up and replacing other produce fields. Which almonds are. So, not only does almond orcharding use a disproportionate share of water, it also destroys other critical produce farming, the products of which are nearly all consumed by state and US populations, while almond growers are shipping 80% of their bounty overseas to no one's benefit here at home except the small almond farmer community.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Don't forget alfalfa, OP. Alfalfa uses as much water as almonds, if not more. And rice--GAH!

The almond industry is not "California's most...cherished industry". That may be your opinion, but it's not a fact.

I don't know if you followed the other thread, it sounds like you didn't quite catch the gist of it, but people were not vilifying the almond industry per se. They were pointing out that the sudden rush to invest--resulting in gross overinvestment in--the almond industry was foolish, and has endangered the water supply for everyone, including other ag industries. Given the prolonged nature of the drought, and the projections of the future effects of global warming, serious planning on the state level as well as the national level, needs to take place, to hopefully guarantee wise stewardship of this precious, dwindling and life-giving resource: water.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
I think the dairy and meat industries are staples and more important than some stupid almonds. Would that many people even care if almonds disappeared?

Old 01-29-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Don't forget alfalfa, OP. Alfalfa uses as much water as almonds, if not more. And rice--GAH!

The almond industry is not "California's most...cherished industry". That may be your opinion, but it's not a fact.

I don't know if you followed the other thread, it sounds like you didn't quite catch the gist of it, but people were not vilifying the almond industry per se. They were pointing out that the sudden rush to invest--resulting in gross overinvestment in--the almond industry was foolish, and has endangered the water supply for everyone, including other ag industries. Given the prolonged nature of the drought, and the projections of the future effects of global warming, serious planning on the state level as well as the national level, needs to take place, to hopefully guarantee wise stewardship of this precious, dwindling and life-giving resource: water.
Yeah, um, sorta. Not sure, but I think at least most of the alfalfa is sold and used domestically?

But my points in both related threads are focused on almonds uniquely, particularly as they are exported in vast majority, which is tantamount to sending critical state resources (water) overseas to only enrich a very small group of people, while simultaneously destroying critical products we all benefit greatly from at home (other produce farming). Not interested in bashing alfalfa or meat or dairy because none of them are functioning in the same strange paradigm as almonds.

Rice, btw, is an entirely different story from any of the aforementioned. It mostly uses water that is at the end of its journey to join the unusable saltwater of the Bay.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I think the dairy and meat industries are staples and more important than some stupid almonds. Would that many people even care if almonds disappeared?
Mixed thoughts on your comment. It's kinda interesting to wonder over. The meat and dairy industries certainly are more staples. Which in a way makes them more important than almonds. But there is certainly good argument to the reality of their over consumption relative to good healthy diet, too. And that brings in some interesting chin stroking about almonds, which are fantastically nutritious and healthy substitutes for meat and dairy. (Not suggesting anyone replace their entire dairy and meat intake with almonds - just pointing out that almonds are protein powerhouses which can be part of substitutions for meat and dairy.)

Would many people care if almonds disappeared? Actually, I think quite so. They are extremely popular, not just favorites of a few of us on this board. Which is why the industry has exploded. Almonds have now replaced peanuts as the favorite nut of all.

Key thing that keeps coming back in all of this however is that 80 'efing % of our almonds go overseas. So we certainly wouldn't miss 80% of 'em! And that is a LOT of California water. More than 2 LA's worth!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:29 PM

191 posts, read 311,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I agree with vilification of meat and dairy industries - as well as the almond industry. However, the thread I started about the almond industry was in response to a current news article highlighting a challenge now being experienced by the almond industry. No particular parallel is in process for the meat and dairy industries. Nontheless, feel free to attack them as you wish without any argument from me, for one.

And that said, above, none of your observations changes the realities I pointed out regarding almonds in California. Zip.

I'd also point out that, wasteful and polluting as meat and dairy farming has become, those industries are not growing by leaps and bounds by tearing up and replacing other produce fields. Which almonds are. So, not only does almond orcharding use a disproportionate share of water, it also destroys other critical produce farming, the products of which are nearly all consumed by state and US populations, while almond growers are shipping 80% of their bounty overseas to no one's benefit here at home except the small almond farmer community.
Are you some kind of statist? Any industry in California or elsewhere in the United States is free to sell its products globally. Almond farming is not destroying anything.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

You seem to be of a liberal bent. I have a great book to recommend:

How many is too many? : the progressive argument for reducing immigration into the United States / Philip Cafaro.

Instead of demonizing farmers (who most sub/urban California elites find easy to look down on), we need to look at whether it's worth destroying some of the United States' most productive agricultural land to settle more immigrants trying to crowd into California.

Funny how almonds/farmers are always open game, but overpopulation is a sacred cow.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:48 PM

http://www.almonds.com/sites/default...graphic_v2.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California