Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 12:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Tip: The Navy research lab (SPAWAR) in San Diego has a program called the "new professional" program where they hire new graduates in selected technical fields. They are currently actively looking for new professionals in computer security. You might consider sending them a resume: SSC Pacific New Professional Program

You might also take a look at the Federal government's job site for other opportunities. https://www.usajobs.gov/ Indeed.com, Monster.com, and Dice.com are good for private sector tech jobs. If you're interested in shorter term contract positions, sometimes Craigslist can have options (although a lot of the job ads on Craiglist are scams, or close to it). The point is, do your research about what is available, don't limit yourself just to California, and make applying your job.

Since you've been having trouble finding work in Wisconsin (and I assume you've also looked in Chicago), you might want to get some feedback on your resume and the way you are presenting yourself in cover letters and interviews. Do you have a professor from your program you could ask to review your resume? Failing that, how about the career services office of your university? Many cities and counties also have job counseling programs that can be helpful with stuff like this. That way, you can rule out that there isn't something you're inadvertently doing to sabotage your chances. And, of course, there's nothing like networking; if you know anyone working in tech near where you are located, ask them to also review your resume, cover letters, and perhaps give some advice on job searching.

Best of luck! Finding your first job after graduation is never easy, but if you are determined and work hard at the search, something will turn up eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,586,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG21 View Post
Thanks everyone,

I grew up in Milwaukee, WI which is currently rated as the worst place to
be a black male in America. That's why I added my race into the OP, racial disparities is a huge problem here.

While I do understand that their are other areas in the US where I could be successful I fee that moving to California while I am young would be a great experience. I am highly adaptable, I grew up in a single parent home on less than 40k a year.

I honestly don't buy anything more than my basic needs and new technology to stay up to date.

As a business major I have budgeted how much I need to cover my current expenses it comes out to about $800 -$1200 a month without rent. This is based on how much I decide to budget for student loans. I'm going to round that up to $1000-$1500 a month to leave room to splurge once in a while.

At a minimum I expect to be able to get atleast a 70k job. Which would come out to about $5833 a month.

I am not sure how taxes are in California but I'll wild guess this would come out to about $3500-$4000 a month. With my current expenses that's doable to move to California, I also have friend that moved their after college and would let me sleep on their couch for a while.

I currently plan on taking a visit to California in the spring. I'd like to know a little more about the area and get a better idea on what to expect if I decided to make my move our West.
My Father in Law lives in Milwaukee Wisconsin and I have
taken the family out there many times. Well getting down
to brass tacks I see that you have the (mental toughness)
to make it in California. I'm from Tulsa Oklahoma and all
of my high school (buddies) said that I would never live
in CA , or even leave OK for that matter , go for your
dreams and don't let anybody hold you back. Myself , I
have lived in CA somewhere between 35 & 37 years. Me
using logic would say that I should not have made it one
year out here , you give this job search your best shot!!!!

On page 2 of this thread I mention Youth Hostels , and
along with you being able to COUCH SURF at the homes
of old College Buddies you should be able to spent
considerable time out here on your job search.

PLEASE KEEP EVERYONE POSTED on the current progress
of your job search , good job hunting..howest2008

Old 02-20-2016, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone,

I grew up in Milwaukee, WI which is currently rated as the worst place to
be a black male in America. That's why I added my race into the OP, racial disparities is a huge problem here.

While I do understand that their are other areas in the US where I could be successful I fee that moving to California while I am young would be a great experience. I am highly adaptable, I grew up in a single parent home on less than 40k a year.

I honestly don't buy anything more than my basic needs and new technology to stay up to date.

As a business major I have budgeted how much I need to cover my current expenses it comes out to about $800 -$1200 a month without rent. This is based on how much I decide to budget for student loans. I'm going to round that up to $1000-$1500 a month to leave room to splurge once in a while.

At a minimum I expect to be able to get atleast a 70k job. Which would come out to about $5833 a month.

I am not sure how taxes are in California but I'll wild guess this would come out to about $3500-$4000 a month. With my current expenses that's doable to move to California, I also have friend that moved their after college and would let me sleep on their couch for a while.

I currently plan on taking a visit to California in the spring. I'd like to know a little more about the area and get a better idea on what to expect if I decided to make my move our West.
Go for it. You are being reasonable and IF you get that type of Job you will be OK.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM

36 posts, read 33,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Tip: The Navy research lab (SPAWAR) in San Diego has a program called the "new professional" program where they hire new graduates in selected technical fields. They are currently actively looking for new professionals in computer security. You might consider sending them a resume: SSC Pacific New Professional Program

You might also take a look at the Federal government's job site for other opportunities. https://www.usajobs.gov/ Indeed.com, Monster.com, and Dice.com are good for private sector tech jobs. If you're interested in shorter term contract positions, sometimes Craigslist can have options (although a lot of the job ads on Craiglist are scams, or close to it). The point is, do your research about what is available, don't limit yourself just to California, and make applying your job.

Since you've been having trouble finding work in Wisconsin (and I assume you've also looked in Chicago), you might want to get some feedback on your resume and the way you are presenting yourself in cover letters and interviews. Do you have a professor from your program you could ask to review your resume? Failing that, how about the career services office of your university? Many cities and counties also have job counseling programs that can be helpful with stuff like this. That way, you can rule out that there isn't something you're inadvertently doing to sabotage your chances. And, of course, there's nothing like networking; if you know anyone working in tech near where you are located, ask them to also review your resume, cover letters, and perhaps give some advice on job searching.

Best of luck! Finding your first job after graduation is never easy, but if you are determined and work hard at the search, something will turn up eventually.

Playing the job hunting game is tough. I've spent the past few months working on my interview weaknesses and to be honest I have only been turned down for two jobs. The issue getting the interview in the first place.

I will get feedback on my resume, I have not applied to many jobs out in Chicago area yet but I have been contacted for various positions in the area.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:06 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,110,498 times
I live in San Jose. I wouldnt live here if I made less than 80k. Its unlikely youll get thst right out of school unless you went to Georgia Tech or MIT.

Get a few years of experience and then apply for jobs then ask for 80k+. Jobs here are competitive and want experienced people. When you get it then you can move. You can save up 5-10k atleast before you move to make it easier.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Playing the job hunting game is tough. I've spent the past few months working on my interview weaknesses and to be honest I have only been turned down for two jobs. The issue getting the interview in the first place.

I will get feedback on my resume, I have not applied to many jobs out in Chicago area yet but I have been contacted for various positions in the area.
Hang in there. Yes, getting to the interview stage is tough but it often is a numbers game and something will turn up for you.

In the meantime, have you considered applying for a few short term contract positions? Obviously, you want a full time permanent job so a temp position is not ideal, but something short term may lead to permanent, and, at the very least, will allow you to keep adding experience to your resume. This worked for my son when he first graduated. He accepted a short term contract position and within a month he was hired permanently. My daughter (not in IT, but marketing) did something similar after she graduated and couldn't immediately find a permanent job. In her case, it didn't directly lead to a permanent offer but it did help her round out her resume and build her portfolio, which eventually led to a great job. And, at least she was making some money in the meantime. (Again, this isn't ideal, and it does take away time from your job hunt, but just offering it as a possibility; you may have already considered this idea).

Again, hang in there, and good luck!

Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hang in there. Yes, getting to the interview stage is tough but it often is a numbers game and something will turn up for you.

In the meantime, have you considered applying for a few short term contract positions? Obviously, you want a full time permanent job so a temp position is not ideal, but something short term may lead to permanent, and, at the very least, will allow you to keep adding experience to your resume. This worked for my son when he first graduated. He accepted a short term contract position and within a month he was hired permanently. My daughter (not in IT, but marketing) did something similar after she graduated and couldn't immediately find a permanent job. In her case, it didn't directly lead to a permanent offer but it did help her round out her resume and build her portfolio, which eventually led to a great job. And, at least she was making some money in the meantime. (Again, this isn't ideal, and it does take away time from your job hunt, but just offering it as a possibility; you may have already considered this idea).

Again, hang in there, and good luck!
Yep an agency can help and even if the job you get isn't directly tied to the field you want as you would be surprised how it can help. My second job was through an agency and it would seem unrelated to anything I would do in the future. However what I learned there actually helped me with one business I now own, and this was over 20 years later, as the agency job gave me knowledge of a technology I would later supply products to and allowed me to talk with potential customers on a better level..

Old 02-22-2016, 11:29 AM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep an agency can help and even if the job you get isn't directly tied to the field you want as you would be surprised how it can help. My second job was through an agency and it would seem unrelated to anything I would do in the future. However what I learned there actually helped me with one business I now own, and this was over 20 years later, as the agency job gave me knowledge of a technology I would later supply products to and allowed me to talk with potential customers on a better level..
This is a good idea. OP, if you don't have any luck applying for jobs on your own in your desired location, consider going through a placement service. Sure, it will cost you for awhile, through pay deductions, but it will get the job done.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:53 PM

36 posts, read 33,413 times
Thanks everyone,

Im learning how the real world works, and while I do want to move to California getting there right after college might not be realistic.

The issue I am facing isnt that I cant make the move. I could make the move as a system administrator in most companies.

The issue is that I want to come there as something in the Cybersecurity field and that is harder than it appears to be.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone,
Im learning how the real world works, and while I do want to move to California getting there right after college might not be realistic.
The issue I am facing isnt that I cant make the move. I could make the move as a system administrator in most companies.
The issue is that I want to come there as something in the Cybersecurity field and that is harder than it appears to be.
I think everything will work out fine for you, but you really need to get some work experience (or even an apprenticeship) before you can reach your goal. Maybe start with a federal job and go from there?

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?keyword=cyber%20security

I didn't go through all of the listings, but I did find a cybersecurity internship https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/428649800/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California