Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:11 PM

13 posts, read 15,278 times

Advertisements

[quote=NoMoreSnowForMe;43449180]You're quiet welcome. Well, actually, I'm not very social. I'm more of a drive-by chatter. I chat with my neighbors and people wherever I go, but I'm not one to easily make friends. I have some very good, old friends in the SF Bay Area, though, and it will be nice to get together with them in person instead of just over the phone.

My preferred social outlet, other than time with good friends, is to take classes or go on group day tours. Unfortunately, there isn't anything along those lines up here at all. There's a college that teaches degree-oriented classes, but there are no adult education classes like crafts, etc., at all. In Redding, though, I went at least twice a week to the free kayak tours on Whiskeytown Lake. If I'd have stayed, I would have volunteered with the kayak group, which is through the Forest Service.

I do volunteer here in Crescent City. I found the perfect volunteer job for me, where I don't have to deal with the politics of volunteer groups - I pick up food from a restaurant in town and deliver the food to the food bank 3 days a week. I tried joining a few other volunteer groups, but found their group dynamics either unfriendly or annoying ha ha. I've never been much of a joiner. Can't stand the politics of organized groups.

That's far too much information LOL. Enough about me...

Thanks again, Snow. Volunteering is a great idea. I hear you about the organizational politics, but it sounds like you find your way around them. Giving back to the community is its own reward, and if you make some buddies along the way, all the better. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 06:55 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Just hope a couple of million do not try to take the same route.
I don't think "A Couple Million" live anywhere near Crescent City.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't think "A Couple Million" live anywhere near Crescent City.
Ain't that the truth! Crescent City is a place with a revolving door, too. A lot of people come here excited they can afford to live at the ocean, but the weather and lack of things to do sends them packing again.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Ain't that the truth! Crescent City is a place with a revolving door, too. A lot of people come here excited they can afford to live at the ocean, but the weather and lack of things to do sends them packing again.
I love the weather. The only thing that turns me off is how badly it gets wrecked by storms.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I love the weather. The only thing that turns me off is how badly it gets wrecked by storms.
You mean the wind and rain storms? If so, yes, it gets old, especially the wind. You could almost enjoy a walk in the rain, if it wasn't coming at you sideways LOL.

It calmed down the last couple of days, thank goodness. The wind can get so loud at night I can't sleep, even with my white noise fan. It's weird how the really bad wind is usually in the middle of the night - the 50mph gust wind.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
You mean the wind and rain storms? If so, yes, it gets old, especially the wind. You could almost enjoy a walk in the rain, if it wasn't coming at you sideways LOL.

It calmed down the last couple of days, thank goodness. The wind can get so loud at night I can't sleep, even with my white noise fan. It's weird how the really bad wind is usually in the middle of the night - the 50mph gust wind.
Oh no, I mean what the 1964 Alaskan EQ did even though it was thousands of miles away.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Oh no, I mean what the 1964 Alaskan EQ did even though it was thousands of miles away.
Oh, yes. There was damage to fishing boats in the last one around 2011? I wasn't here. Damaged the harbor. The water rose and fell by around 10 feet, up and down, crashed the boats all to heck. I think that was a Japanese earthquake? Sorry, too lazy to look it up.

There was a Del Norte and Humboldt County tsunami emergency system test today. Tested the sirens, etc.

There have been a lot of changes and advancements since the tsunami in the 60's. I just don't worry about it. I know the evacuation route, and have an emergency pack. I'm not as prepared as I should be, but the tsunami zone really isn't that big. If it gets me, it gets me. But, I only have to get 9 blocks away to the designated safe shelter, if I happen to be downtown or at the harbor, or on the beach. If they know one's coming, I'll hear the sirens.

I've lived most of my life in earthquake zones. You just kind of put it out of your mind.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes. There was damage to fishing boats in the last one around 2011? I wasn't here. Damaged the harbor. The water rose and fell by around 10 feet, up and down, crashed the boats all to heck. I think that was a Japanese earthquake? Sorry, too lazy to look it up.

There was a Del Norte and Humboldt County tsunami emergency system test today. Tested the sirens, etc.

There have been a lot of changes and advancements since the tsunami in the 60's. I just don't worry about it. I know the evacuation route, and have an emergency pack. I'm not as prepared as I should be, but the tsunami zone really isn't that big. If it gets me, it gets me. But, I only have to get 9 blocks away to the designated safe shelter, if I happen to be downtown or at the harbor, or on the beach. If they know one's coming, I'll hear the sirens.

I've lived most of my life in earthquake zones. You just kind of put it out of your mind.
I live in the Bay Area and every house doesn't get wrecked by EQs that are 1000 miles away.

Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I live in the Bay Area and every house doesn't get wrecked by EQs that are 1000 miles away.
True. And if that concerns you, you should stay where earthquakes under your house are your only worry.

Too bad there aren't any warning sirens for the ones under your house, though.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
True. And if that concerns you, you should stay where earthquakes under your house are your only worry.

Too bad there aren't any warning sirens for the ones under your house, though.
Can't they built an artificial peninsula to shield crescent city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California