Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:23 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,254 times

Advertisements

I bet you that if I walk around and ask people about Kamala Harris, even those who know of her, will be hard pressed to cite any accomplishments. Other than being the perfect non-descript robot, what has she actually accomplished that warrants her being elected as one of the two top representatives of the stare at the federal level? I follow politics pretty closely and I can’t think of anything that makes me say “yeah she will do a good job in DC”.

This is not a republican vs. democrat thing. I tend to lean Democrat, even though I have no problems crossing the aisle and I have many times. I am just curious to know how it is possible that such an important state as CA can elect someone so unproven and so un-vetted to be a senator. It is amazing to me how little competition there is for the top offices in this state.

Once the special interests get behind a certain candidate, such as in Kamala’s case, it is basically game over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 03:39 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Not being snarky, but the truth is, she is not one of the other 33 relatively unknown clowns in the race. She might as well be unopposed.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM

Yeah, that's one of the issues. And one of my other gripes. That we produce incompetent candidates for the high offices in the state.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:17 PM

901 posts, read 1,168,376 times
What has ______ done to deserve _____ office? You could ask and debate that of anyone in either party. She impressed people enough and is a good communicator and is likeable (to plenty of people, maybe not you.)

Being a good communicator and likeable goes a long way towards being successful in politics. She's so likeable that she got endorsements of other elected Democrats (important, always) scared off competition, and the big donors also like her. Therefore, a clear field. Happens all the time. If you're a Republican, it's exactly how someone like Shwarzeneggar got elected. He had talent as a candidate, too.

Likeability is not the whole game, but a significant part. You have to like fundraising also. She's not at all incompetent if you are a Democrat. She's probably horrible in your mind if you're a Republican.

Once somebody starts talking about "special interests" -- that is just a label for the interests that YOU do not like. As if there are no "special" interests across the political spectrum?

If you're a Republican and you can't stand her, and blame mysterious forces or interests, explain why in this free state in this free country, with all the wealthy Republicans, why can't the R party find someone to actually be a strong candidate for the US Senate and win? Against such a "bad" candidate?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
What has ______ done to deserve _____ office? You could ask and debate that of anyone in either party. She impressed people enough and is a good communicator and is likeable (to plenty of people, maybe not you.)

Being a good communicator and likeable goes a long way towards being successful in politics. She's so likeable that she got endorsements of other elected Democrats (important, always) scared off competition, and the big donors also like her. Therefore, a clear field. Happens all the time. If you're a Republican, it's exactly how someone like Shwarzeneggar got elected. He had talent as a candidate, too.

Likeability is not the whole game, but a significant part. You have to like fundraising also. She's not at all incompetent if you are a Democrat. She's probably horrible in your mind if you're a Republican.

Once somebody starts talking about "special interests" -- that is just a label for the interests that YOU do not like. As if there are no "special" interests across the political spectrum?

If you're a Republican and you can't stand her, and blame mysterious forces or interests, explain why in this free state in this free country, with all the wealthy Republicans, why can't the R party find someone to actually be a strong candidate for the US Senate and win? Against such a "bad" candidate?
Well, per my original post "This is not a republican vs. democrat thing. I tend to lean Democrat, even though I have no problems crossing the aisle and I have many times." So not sure what to tell you there.

You say that she is not incompetent, yet fail to list a single tangible thing she has done to improve the state (likability and fundraising don't count). Please let me know how she has made CA a better place.

I like Loretta Sanchez and can list you numerous things I approve of her time in Congress.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:07 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I bet you that if I walk around and ask people about Kamala Harris, even those who know of her, will be hard pressed to cite any accomplishments. Other than being the perfect non-descript robot, what has she actually accomplished that warrants her being elected as one of the two top representatives of the stare at the federal level? I follow politics pretty closely and I can’t think of anything that makes me say “yeah she will do a good job in DC”.

This is not a republican vs. democrat thing. I tend to lean Democrat, even though I have no problems crossing the aisle and I have many times. I am just curious to know how it is possible that such an important state as CA can elect someone so unproven and so un-vetted to be a senator. It is amazing to me how little competition there is for the top offices in this state.

Once the special interests get behind a certain candidate, such as in Kamala’s case, it is basically game over.
Date willie brown and have a terrible prosecution rate.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
Quote:
I bet you that if I walk around and ask people about Kamala Harris, even those who know of her, will be hard pressed to cite any accomplishments.
She won $26 Bil settlement from big banks to Calif. due to foreclosure abuse. Also the Homeowner's Bill of Rights.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:17 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
That's enough right there.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
I like Loretta Sanchez and can list you numerous things I approve of her time in Congress.
Her war cry gaffe didn't go over very well.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 PM

537 posts, read 446,110 times
Quote:

That Sondheim candidate still living in the 50s.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California