Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Feelings on the gun laws
Want less restrictive gun laws 57 50.89%
Want more restrictive gun laws 41 36.61%
Happy the way it is 5 4.46%
Don't care 9 8.04%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,834,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
No, I insulted the men who use these kinds of rifles as compensation. I have military training in firearms but now that I'm a civilian, a firearm is neither required nor desired. I studied martial arts and I've used it in real life application, that's all I need. If you feel defenseless without your big black compensation tool, I suggest you learn martial arts.
So your advice for a senior is to learn martial arts to protect themself?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I want more restrictive gun laws, I'm so DAMN sick of everyone's love affair with the second amendment.
California has all the restrictive laws that democrats can dream of already, it doesn't make a difference.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:01 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,075,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So your advice for a senior is to learn martial arts to protect themself?
Sure, why not? My instructor's instructor passed away a few years ago but he was still doing ITF Taekwondo in his 80s.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
California has all the restrictive laws that democrats can dream of already, it doesn't make a difference.
Not really. For example, we wanted to ban all semiautomatic rifles, but we didn't do it right (we just passed a law that banned a series of cosmetic issues). The law should simply say "from now on, no semiautomatic rifle can be sold in the state of California". You can be on the terrorist watch list or the no fly list and still legally get a firearm. The gun show loophole is still present in many states. You can be treated for depression, PTSD etc and still legally get a firearm. You can be banned from buying firearms yet still live with someone who has firearms in the home.

There are still many things to be fixed.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Sure, why not? My instructor's instructor passed away a few years ago but he was still doing ITF Taekwondo in his 80s.
I love your realistic and obtainable approach to self defense for America's seniors and disabled.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 PM

of course there is Ip Chun who is 84. Ip Chun is a grandmaster of Wing Chun. This is the son of the man who taught Wing Chun to someone you may have heard of: Bruce Lee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oPgV0tJrM

Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 PM

This sensei in Germany is 90 and teaches Karate to others his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGBrxNNTVE

Old 06-19-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Not really. For example, we wanted to ban all semiautomatic rifles, but we didn't do it right (we just passed a law that banned a series of cosmetic issues). The law should simply say "from now on, no semiautomatic rifle can be sold in the state of California". You can be on the terrorist watch list or the no fly list and still legally get a firearm. The gun show loophole is still present in many states. You can be treated for depression, PTSD etc and still legally get a firearm. You can be banned from buying firearms yet still live with someone who has firearms in the home.

There are still many things to be fixed.
So now we are taking guns away from people without afflictions because a roommate has one all without due process. I wonder, have you even read the constituion?

California already bans the rifles used in the attacks, has done so for about a decade now. Didn't prevent the San Bernardino attack, hasn't reduced crime outside of the national average.

All you have is an irrational fear that isn't supported by statistics, the constituion, the Supreme Court or the founders of our country and that fear does to you what it does to all other statist; it makes you believe you know what is best for everyone else and you want to use the police power of the government to impose your will onto everyone else.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
This sensei in Germany is 90 and teaches Karate to others his age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WGBrxNNTVE
So you are doubling down on seniors learning martial arts to fend off armed attackers?

Maybe your onto a new market segment, martial arts for women in wheelchairs over 60, is sure the investment dollars will come rolling in.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
So now we are taking guns away from people without afflictions because a roommate has one all without due process.
No one said that. We're talking about that shooting at Sandyhook. I think we can all agree that the son should not have had access to firearms. Yet there he was with his mom who was stockpiling them.

Quote:
California already bans the rifles used in the attacks, has done so for about a decade now.
Well, not exactly. Like I said, the law should simply say "no semiautomatic rifles can be sold or transported in the state of California" or something like that. Not a list of cosmetic features.

Quote:
All you have is an irrational fear
Nope. I was Navy and I am qualified on weapons more powerful than the one used at Orlando. I also have training in the use of such weapons in close quarters aboard the submarine and other similar scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California