Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are currently living in the San Francisco East Bay where houses average about 1 million. We like some things about the S.F. East Bay, but it's too cold, too congested and TOO expensive!

We want to move somewhere warmer, within 10 miles of the ocean and can pay about $600,000.

Are there any towns near the beach in Southern California that are very liberal, have a strong animal advocacy community (VERY important), near a major university a plus AND where we can buy a single family house for $600,000 or less? Would love to live in Santa Barbara, but only condos (and not many of them!) available in this price range (as far as we've been able to determine).

Availability of work is NOT an issue.

Last edited by stephfal; 08-15-2016 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add a few things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 05:06 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephfal View Post
Hi! My husband and I are currently living in the San Francisco East Bay where houses average about 1 million. We like some things about the S.F. East Bay, but it's too cold, too congested and TOO expensive!

We want to move somewhere warmer, within 10 miles of the ocean and can pay about $600,000.

Are there any towns near the beach in Southern California that are very liberal, have a strong animal advocacy community (VERY important), near a major university a plus AND where we can buy a single family house for $600,000 or less? Would love to live in Santa Barbara, but only condos (and not many of them!) available in this price range (as far as we've been able to determine).
Garden Grove, pretty much right next to Huntington Beach, and you can get a house for $450-$500k there, it will be between 900-1,200sq ft though, don't know if you had a size requirement

Old 08-15-2016, 05:13 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Garden Grove, pretty much right next to Huntington Beach, and you can get a house for $450-$500k there, it will be between 900-1,200sq ft though, don't know if you had a size requirement
No place in Orange County is exceptionally liberal, though. I googled Garden Grove and found it ranked 17th most conservative city in the US--higher than Oklahoma City.

You can find single-family homes for your price in OC, but most of them will be more than 10 miles from the beach. I just looked up an estimate of my own house in Rancho Santa Margarita and it was just under $600K. We're 15 miles and 30 minutes from Laguna Beach.

As for your other requirements, in south OC you are close to UC Irvine. I don't know about animal advocacy.

Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No place in Orange County is exceptionally liberal, though. I googled Garden Grove and found it ranked 17th most conservative city in the US--higher than Oklahoma City.

You can find single-family homes for your price in OC, but most of them will be more than 10 miles from the beach. I just looked up an estimate of my own house in Rancho Santa Margarita and it was just under $600K. We're 15 miles and 30 minutes from Laguna Beach.

As for your other requirements, in south OC you are close to UC Irvine. I don't know about animal advocacy.
Different type of conservative though, LA/OC/SD conservatives are closer to libertarians than to the bible thumping racists of the south.

Even OC is liberal in comparison to the south or the midwest/plains

Old 08-15-2016, 05:19 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Would someone from San Francisco consider OC "very liberal," though...?

Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Would someone from San Francisco consider OC "very liberal," though...?
I'm from NY originally, so I know what true liberal is, and I don't feel I'm in conservative country in NWern Orange County... Escondido/north San Diego County or San Clemente/Dana Point/SEern Orange County maybe, or really anywhere SE of the 55

Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
i bet you could find something in woodland hills or west hills in that price range. as the bird flies it's about 10 miles to the beach, but the weather is certainly not beachy.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:13 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
I think that most South OC towns have a mixture of conservatives and liberals, with most leaning towards the conservative end.
Orange County Is No Longer Nixon Country
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/30/us...ange.html?_r=0

Regarding animal advocacy groups, I can think of several rescue groups here in OC.

Finding a SFR for $600K or less within 10 miles of the beach will be a challenge. Check San Juan Capistrano on Redfin.com to see if there is anything available. Also, you may still be able to find a detached condo within 10 miles of the beach for less than $600K.

UCI is the major university in South OC. FWIW, this country's only Buddhist-inspired university, Soka University of America, is also here, in Aliso Viejo:
Soka University of America: California Private University for undergraduate, graduate and Study abroad Programs

Last edited by pacific2; 08-15-2016 at 06:43 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 07:06 PM

1,122 posts, read 961,950 times
Why must you live among only Liberals? That's pretty shallow. We live in a very diverse community with Liberals and Conservatives. Not a big deal. We're not far from the beach either. Ever hear of assimilation? Before I forget, we probably have one of the largest animal advocacy communities around. I live in Wiseburn.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 PM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Different type of conservative though, LA/OC/SD conservatives are closer to libertarians than to the bible thumping racists of the south.

Even OC is liberal in comparison to the south or the midwest/plains
Where exactly in the South were you to come up with this analysis summary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California