Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2016, 12:37 PM

30 posts, read 37,359 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Silicon Valley and we are considering moving over the hill to Santa Cruz County for (hopefully) a more laid back lifestyle. I am married, in my 50s with no kids. I have an irregular commute schedule and would only need to commute to the Silicon Valley during non-rush hours about 4-5 days a month. I work elsewhere the rest of the month. My husband could take the company bus which leaves from Pasatiempo.

We have narrowed it down to three possible neighborhoods. I am curious what others think of these areas, especially if you happen to live in one of these neighborhoods or have experience with them.

1) Uplands at Seascape
Pros:
- Custom homes of high quality built after 2000
- Open preserved land surrounding the community
- Ocean and preserve views

Cons:
- Short drive to beach but probably not walkable
- Commute over Hwy 1 and 17 is hectic during rush hour

2) Upper Cliffs neighborhood above Rio Del Mar beach
Pros:
- More traditional upscale neighborhood
- Closest to the beach and within walking distance

Cons:
- Older homes but well maintained (I think)
- May be more touristy due to proximity to beach, might have more vacation rentals?
- Longest commute via Rio Del Mar Road to Hwy 1 and then through Hwy 17 to get to Silicon Valley

Pasatiempo Golf Course neighborhood
Pros:
- Gorgeous ocean and golf course views from many homes
- My husband's company bus stops at Pasatiempo so can he avoid driving on Hwy 1 to the bus

Cons:
- Further drive from the beach
- Most of the homes are older (not sure of how well maintained they are inside)
- Would being on a golf course be a negative due to the drought?

For all three communities, I have this question:
- Are these mainly full time residents or second homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:40 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, are you looking for a gated community? Is that a "must have"? If so, given the congestion during commute times, which is typical not only of Santa Cruz Co., but the greater Bay Area as well, I would opt for Pasatiempo, since it would save your husband having to fight traffic daily. He will thank you for this. From what I've seen, the homes at Pasatiempo are well-maintained and updated to contemporary style on the interior. Will you be able to take an exploratory trip to the area, to have a preliminary look at some of the options available in your 3 preferred communities?

The Pasatiempo golf course installed a new water-efficient irrigation system a few years ago, and is installing a water tank to irrigate with recycled water. You can find out more through their golf club's blog.
http://pasatiempomaintenance.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-04-2016 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California