Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 13 29.55%
No 31 70.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 04:04 PM

46 posts, read 52,058 times

Advertisements

I'v seen some comments where East Coasters come to conclusion that anything deeper 5 miles inland of the Pacific is desert. Obviously that's not the case. You noticed the difference right away when you enter Arizona or Nevada in contrast to California's mountain environment.

From LA, it doesn't become desert until you reach Palm Spring's Coachella Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 05:20 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,512,981 times
I don't know how many times I've seen comments in national articles about the California drought and water woes along the lines of "Its a desert, act like it is!". Um, no, its not. My town averages 30 inches of rain a year. That's far from a desert. We've got a wide range of climates in this huge state with greatly varying rainfall amounts.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingWestHelpMe View Post
I'v seen some comments where East Coasters come to conclusion that anything deeper 5 miles inland of the Pacific is desert. Obviously that's not the case. You noticed the difference right away when you enter Arizona or Nevada in contrast to California's mountain environment.

From LA, it doesn't become desert until you reach Palm Spring's Coachella Valley.
This makes me seriously question if you've ever driven from La to Phoenix or LA to Vegas. I do the drive from La to Phoenix at least 8 times a year and there is literally no difference when crossing the border. I actually don't start to see a difference until I get 40 miles west of Palms Springs in terms of desert landscaping. 35% of the state of California is desert btw so people who refer to the whole state as a desert are just uninformed. Same goes for people who refer to the entire state of Arizona as a desert when AZ is only 42% desert and is over 1/3 forest.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:05 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,649,252 times
Offends me the same amount as folks typing, “Cali”.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Maybe "offended" isn't exactly the term, but I get put off. Yes, there are deserts in California, but the whole state is not a desert. Even in Southern California, the coastal region is Mediterranean with coastal chaparral. Though rain is atypical most of the year -- normal for a Mediterranean climate -- it's not the same as "desert." When I hear people refer to coastal So Cal as "a desert," it just says to me that they are misinformed. Someone who refers to California in general as a desert says to me that the person is simply parroting a blanket assumption that s/he heard somewhere without taking time to educate her/himself. Such a statement has no basis in reality.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:44 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Not offended, exactly, but these people do come across as ignorant. It's as though I were to refer to all of Washington State as "wet and gloomy." Incidentally, I seem to hear as many people who actually live in California referring to it as a desert, as folks from other states.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:10 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
San Diego gets less rainfall on average per year than Tuscon and that was true BEFORE our current drought. LA gets a bit more, but not by much. Used to be I called the climate in Southern California "mediterranean" but then I realized that wasn't really true. If there wasn't any manmade planting or watering here, you'd have mostly dried chapparel along the coast, and a scattering of trees at higher elevation -- very similar to high desert places like New Mexico or the higher elevations in Arizona.

The only reason there's more greenery along the coast in Southern California than say Phoenix is because of coastal moisture/fog and many years of nonnatural watering and non-native planting. True, they have more cactus in Phoenix, but there aren't a ton of cacti in New Mexico, and it's still "desert."

Sorry, but, yeah, Southern California really is closer to "desert" than anything else.

Now, it's a little different in parts of Northern California along the coast, where there is more rainfall and thus a different ecosystem. But, go inland to say Redding, and you're back into a different native landscape that is more similar to higher desert like New Mexico or Southern Utah.

But, let's say that there is a "mediterranean" climate along the coast. There is still a heck of a lot of "desert" in California, and it doesn't take very many miles to get to it. So, I can understand how out of staters might have the impression that all of California is "desert"

(P.S. thanks for the rep from the person who told me I am wrong. )

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-24-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Sorry, but, yeah, Southern California really is closer to "desert" than anything else.
This is a picture taken near my house during the dry season, in the foothills of Orange County, about 15 miles from the coast. It was not planted nor watered by humans; the vegetation is mostly native. The grasses have dried out but the trees and small bushes are still green. Compare to any picture of the landscape around Palm Springs or Las Vegas and you will see that while indeed semi-arid, this is not a "desert" landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you get offended when ignorant people call all of California a desert?-oneill-park.jpg  

Old 09-24-2016, 07:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is a picture taken near my house during the dry season, in the foothills of Orange County, about 15 miles from the coast. It was not planted nor watered by humans; the vegetation is mostly native. The grasses have dried out but the trees and small bushes are still green. Compare to any picture of the landscape around Palm Springs or Las Vegas and you will see that while indeed semi-arid, this is not a "desert" landscape.
I was just in New Mexico last week, which is considered "high desert." Your back yard doesn't look much different than New Mexico this time of year, except maybe a little less green.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:29 PM

I don't know what part of New Mexico you were in. Some parts are considered arid and others are not. NM gets the summer monsoon which SoCal generally does not; we get our rain in the winter. So it's not too surprising that NM would be more green right now.

The elevation in the picture I posted above is only about 1000 feet so it wouldn't qualify as high desert, or high elevation at all. In any case, desert vegetation in California is things like Joshua trees, yuccas, and tumbleweeds and doesn't resemble any of the coastal areas. But if you want to consider coastal SoCal "desert," go right ahead--no skin off my back.

For reference, this is a Google image of "California desert" :
Attached Thumbnails
Do you get offended when ignorant people call all of California a desert?-highdesert.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California