Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 01:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,499,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You do realize the major cause of the housing crisis was the left wing insistence that houses and mortgages be given to anyone, even with no proof of income. Freddy and Fanny May were given over to huge abuse. Oh and Wall Street that donated so much to ..... Hillary, as they support the Left and benefit from it. Both parties contributed to it because, .... stupid people put ideology ahead of common sense.
Yes this was a big mistake. Below is what George W. Bush said .
Not everyone should be a homeowner just like not everyone should be a business owner.
It's one thing to 'encourage folks'..but it's another to encourage them to be irresponsible.
The consumers also fed into greed too just like the big banks so I didn't feel they should be totally off the hook.
Of course Bush alone can't be blamed for the whole mess. Although most of those loans were created during his Admin.

"We can put light where there's darkness, and hope where there's despondency in this country. And part of it is working together as a nation to encourage folks to own their own home."

- President George W. Bush, Oct. 15, 2002

Bush drive for home ownership fueled housing bubble - The New York Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 02:19 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
You do realize that the emissions emitted now by cars is only 2% of what it was in the 70"s? When you hear we need a 50% reduction they are exaggerating the 1% they still want to change.
You may not have been around when we had 3rd stage smog alerts in the 1960s in southern CA. We were not allowed to play outside at school, so recess was cancelled.

Even Obama mentioned the smog here when he was at Occidental in the late 1970s.
Barack Obama says when he went to college in Los Angeles, the pollution was often so bad that 'folks couldn't go outside' | PolitiFact

Old 11-26-2016, 02:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You may not have been around when we had 3rd stage smog alerts in the 1960s in southern CA. We were not allowed to play outside at school, so recess was cancelled.

Even Obama mentioned the smog here when he was at Occidental in the late 1970s.
Barack Obama says when he went to college in Los Angeles, the pollution was often so bad that 'folks couldn't go outside' | PolitiFact
I wqs born and raised in SoCal and lived there in the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and them moved out for the 1st times. I have moved out 3 times and back 2 and it looks like I will be back again next year. I am very familiar with what you are speaking about.

In the 50's in Fullerton we could see the smog hanging over LA and then it got closer and closer and well I am quite well aware of it.

However in emissions were dropped to 2% of what they were; with emission controls, better engineering, fuel injection and computer controls. There is very little left to emit from a car. compared to the 60' and early 70's

Old 11-26-2016, 03:04 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,432,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes this was a big mistake. Below is what George W. Bush said .
Not everyone should be a homeowner just like not everyone should be a business owner.
It's one thing to 'encourage folks'..but it's another to encourage them to be irresponsible.
The consumers also fed into greed too just like the big banks so I didn't feel they should be totally off the hook.
Of course Bush alone can't be blamed for the whole mess. Although most of those loans were created during his Admin.

"We can put light where there's darkness, and hope where there's despondency in this country. And part of it is working together as a nation to encourage folks to own their own home."

- President George W. Bush, Oct. 15, 2002

Bush drive for home ownership fueled housing bubble - The New York Times
Yep, and both parties were complicit, though not every politician. Bush was right, but he was among the few.

I had a neighbor who bought a new $600,000. house and did not have to prove his income at all. He abandoned it after 1 year when he could not pay for it. I suspect he thought he could string it out and sell for a profit and ... the market went soft.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:49 PM

26,764 posts, read 26,890,587 times
Quote:
However in emissions were dropped to 2% of what they were; with emission controls, better engineering, fuel injection and computer controls. There is very little left to emit from a car....
That ain't gonna happen with Trump in charge (see post #185).

Old 11-26-2016, 08:53 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,786,852 times
Quote:
You do realize that the emissions emitted now by cars is only 2% of what it was in the 70"s? When you hear we need a 50% reduction they are exaggerating the 1% they still want to change.
But there are so many more cars to make up for the reduction per car. Thousands of people die each year in California due to your smog. And another huge number are crippled and suffer due to the smog. California is still smog capital of the United States.

Southern California Air Pollution Kills Thousands Annually, Study Says « CBS Los Angeles

Thousands of lives could be saved in California by stricter air pollution limits, study finds - LA Times

Air pollution causes 200,000 early deaths annually in U.S. | Inhabitat - Green Design, Innovation, Architecture, Green Building

Deadly air: Thousands killed in Southern California each year by pollution, report finds - The Orange County Register

Old 11-26-2016, 09:53 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
Right now we are out of the deficit and paying off the debt. The stuff that got us into debt are decidedly right wing things to do.
Isn't high speed rail a pet project of the left?

Old 11-26-2016, 09:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,738,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
According the Bay Area Management Group the single largest problem today is smoke from fireplaces...

Note... all wood burning fireplaces are lumped into one group... it matters not if the fire is in a EPA clean burn certified stove of an open fireplace from 150 years ago...

What I don't understand is how the same agency says nothing about firework displays that darken the stars and terrorize pets...

Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes and Garcetti kept going on and on about how Trump was a racist and sexist and that if he wins it will threaten L.A's chance to host the Olympics.

He looks like an even bigger clown now.
I wonder if Garcetti apologized to Trump for calling him racist,sexist, bigot .

"“For some of the IOC members, they would say, ‘Wait a second, can we go to a country like that, where we’ve heard things that we take offense to?”’ Garcetti said in August."
I wonder if these IOC members actually said that or Garcetti was just making that up to make Trump look bad.
Maybe they should ask if they want to go to a city with an out of control homeless population , broken streets and sidewalks and a rising violent crime rate run by Mayor Garcetti.

Trump Win a Threat to L.A. 2024 Olympic Bid, Said City Mayor - Bloomberg
Criminal Mayor Eric Crookcetti will perhaps eventually get it after studying this flowchart:

Old 11-27-2016, 05:59 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,730,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Criminal Mayor Eric Crookcetti will perhaps eventually get it after studying this flowchart:
If Donald Trump brings another recession with cheaper house prices and stocks I will love him even if it causes my net worth to drop mid 5 figures in the short term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California