Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 09:37 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
U mad again, bro?
Not in the slightest. Perhaps you missed it when I wrote previously that I welcome being the foil of childish taunting such as you and others are engaging in. It serves to make my points about the intellectual laziness of true believers.

"Bring it on!"

Heh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'm certainly not mad right now. I'm happy this discussion is gaining more traction and coming to light. I myself dismissed it as impossible the first few times I heard it. But I also thought it would be impossible for a billionaire reality TV show host to run a ridiculous campaign based on outright lies, divisive rhetoric, and fear mongering and actually win the presidency. The more people try to shout down the #Calexit folks without hearing their voices and concerns, the more they'll grow to resent the condescension and being dismissed so summarily. If all those rioting and protesting in the streets focused their anger and energy into making something like secession possible, this conversation wouldn't sound so ridiculous, would it?
Roger that, absolutely. I laugh at the State of Jefferson secessionists because they have no way to support their fantasy. But California - indeed, the entire Pacific Coast as 'Pacifica'? Very competitive on the world stage as an independent nation. Coupled with how reviled the "left coast" is by so much of the rest of the U.S., it's not a bit nuts. Closest ports to Asia, all kinds of modern infrastructure, educational institutions, finance, venture capital, agriculture, tourism, research institutes, world class cities, manufacturing, natural resources including oil, solar potential ...

Sign me up.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:37 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
Oddly enough, SoCal seems to like the idea too:

Calexit poll: Would you support the Yes California movement? - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 11-13-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stringguitarguy View Post
I think succession might be a possibility for Northern California i.e. San Francisco/Bay Area but not so much for Southern California and as whole state it would not be possible.. Mainly because of water sustainability issues Southern California was never built with solid foundation to begin with . If you have seen the movie Chinatown it would further explain current water situation with Southern California. Water has to be imported from other parts of country to Southern California. Most cities were built around the foundation of availability resources usually fresh water Paris, London, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit. Southern California however was not.
It is one of the biggest economies in the world currently yes, but in order to for it to be functional and the place to be inhabitable for millions and millions of people it needs to be in the United States because Southern California gets a majority of its water for farming and everything else from the Colorado River and Lake Mead in Nevada
Water can be solved several ways. Particularly if the entire west coast federates. You know about pipelines, right? Deals with less successful neighbors. Desalination. Technological innovation in usage habits. Elimination (joke intended) of water-borne sewage systems replaced by solid waste composting technology.

Nope. Water isn't a barrier.

Old 11-13-2016, 01:44 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes, a lot of people do. Seriously.

No, some Hillary supporters are having a BIG tantrum along with a lot of Bernie supporters and even a LOT of Republicans who are aghast that a narcissistic mental midget is about to try to steamroller the constitution and incompetently represent the US in foreign affairs as well.

And no, they won't "get over it" any more than opposition to Obama ceased shortly after he took office. Not.
Do you honestly think the majority of Californians are going to renounce their United States citizenship over this? Seriously? California trying to leave the United States would lead to a flat out civil war... and we've already been there. Everyone just needs to pull up their big boy and big girl pants and plan for 2018 and 2020 if they're that unhappy with the result. Its not like this will be the last election ever. Gawd... Its like a bunch of spoiled children who've never been told "no" in their lives until now. It was a free and fair election within the guild lines that have been in place since 1786. Deal with it.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:18 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
If secession happens (as it should), I think a California Republic with subdivided states or regions would be in everyone's best interest, as opposed to total isolation.
I hope it happens too but it never will. A United States of America without one state trying to dominate the entire country with it's agenda would be so much better off.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:20 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Do you honestly think the majority of Californians are going to renounce their United States citizenship over this? Seriously? California trying to leave the United States would lead to a flat out civil war... and we've already been there. Everyone just needs to pull up their big boy and big girl pants and plan for 2018 and 2020 if they're that unhappy with the result. Its not like this will be the last election ever. Gawd... Its like a bunch of spoiled children who've never been told "no" in their lives until now. It was a free and fair election within the guild lines that have been in place since 1786. Deal with it.
I couldn't agree more but you have to allow people to have their fantasies after they've been politically neutered as CA has just been.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:28 AM

1,855 posts, read 2,916,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
U mad again, bro?
Oh he mad. He very mad.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:17 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,247,121 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not mad right now. I'm happy this discussion is gaining more traction and coming to light. I myself dismissed it as impossible the first few times I heard it. But I also thought it would be impossible for a billionaire reality TV show host to run a ridiculous campaign based on outright lies, divisive rhetoric, and fear mongering and actually win the presidency. The more people try to shout down the #Calexit folks without hearing their voices and concerns, the more they'll grow to resent the condescension and being dismissed so summarily. If all those rioting and protesting in the streets focused their anger and energy into making something like secession possible, this conversation wouldn't sound so ridiculous, would it?
Your oversimplifications and general spazzing-out are a big reason why Trump won. You realize that, right?

Old 11-13-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
No, I don't honestly think the majority of Californians will renounce citizenship over this at all. And I am certainly "dealing with" Trump's election. What says I'm not? Having strong opinions against an amoral, mentally disordered demagogue who is about to assume the greatest mantle of leadership in the world? Lesser nutballs have attracted ire as great by huge percentages of populations, even in this country in recent times. Why would a clear thinking observer not be justified in speaking his mind? People of greater significance than me by all measures all around the world are expressing blistering denouncement.

That all said, this notion that California couldn't succeed in secession is silly. 6th, soon likely to be 5th, strongest economy in the world, with well developed ports to Asia and all modern infrastructure in place and highly functioning, all with a strong percentage of upscale, highly skilled, well educated population - sound silly to you? Compared to what countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California