Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 2,219 times

Advertisements

Hi. I would like to move to California within the next year but I'm not sure exactly where. Im under 25 and would like to be somewhere where there is a lot going on. I am into history and art and like to be in places that offer a healthy ecofriendly vibe. When I traveled to London and Boston I really enjoyed it however I would like to be somewhere warm. I like to hike and have access to the beach but I don't mind driving an hour for that. I was thinking of Santa Barbara or Sacramento but I really don't know. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 07:59 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1344 View Post
Hi. I would like to move to California within the next year but I'm not sure exactly where. Im under 25 and would like to be somewhere where there is a lot going on. I am into history and art and like to be in places that offer a healthy ecofriendly vibe. When I traveled to London and Boston I really enjoyed it however I would like to be somewhere warm. I like to hike and have access to the beach but I don't mind driving an hour for that. I was thinking of Santa Barbara or Sacramento but I really don't know. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
What is your income and what can you pay for an apt/house? Rent/Buy?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
Oh heck, just come on out. I'm assuming you're independently wealthy and don't need a job. I suggest you buy a place in Beverly Hills and just hire a driver. You'll love the weather and your neighbors and won't have to worry about the traffic.

Welcome!

Old 02-09-2017, 10:06 PM

787 posts, read 644,954 times
Quote:
Sacramento is exactly what you want. Thank me later.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 AM

72 posts, read 81,728 times
Hello E1344,
If you are looking for a 'downtown' type of fun and art I would recommend checking out San Diego and surrounding areas first, then LA areas (specifically Pasadena), Santa Barbara, Solvang, San Luis Obispo (smaller scale and a bit isolated), Monterey (if you like fog), Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Sacramento (last one gets a bit hot in the summer).

In addition, if you like European feel, you may enjoy Portland, Oregon too.
Good luck!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:41 PM

266 posts, read 334,779 times
Try Ventura county, Santa Clarita, Santa cruz/Monterey

Old 02-10-2017, 05:46 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
Quote:
I'll second Sacramento in agreement with TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken. It pretty much has most of what you're looking for and it's less expensive than many other desirable parts of CA.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but most of what you're asking for is going to be in more expensive locations. Santa Barbara for example is beautiful and I would love living there. It's very expensive though and actually has a weak job market.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,219 times
Oh really! Ya I'm looking to find a job working at a museum. My budget is around 1800 for rent. I possibly want the option to attend graduate school in the future for Anthropology as well.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 PM

8,392 posts, read 7,654,185 times
Quote:
Oh really! Ya I'm looking to find a job working at a museum. My budget is around 1800 for rent. I possibly want the option to attend graduate school in the future for Anthropology as well.
What type of museum job are you looking for? What kind of museum?

If you've been working in the museum field for a while, you already know that museum jobs are rare and competitive, and good paying Museum jobs are even rarer and more competitive.

There aren't many museums in Sacramento or Santa Barbara. If working in a museum is your goal, then LA, San Diego and San Francisco would offer better job opportunities because they have more -- and larger -- museums. (Your rental budget would be fine for San Diego, do-able for LA, and tight in a lot of the Bay area).

So, my suggestion would be to figure out where the museums looking for someone like you are located in California, check out their job openings, and focus your move on the areas where the most museum jobs are located.

I assume you're already familiar with sites like http://museum.jobs/

The California Association of Museums also has a job board specific to California museums:

http://www.calmuseums.org/Public/Pub...Home_Page.aspx

You might also want to check the USAJobs site (https://www.usajobs.gov/) for museum related jobs available through the Federal Government.

California also has a state jobs board you can check: https://jobs.ca.gov/

If you're a recent college grad, also check with the career services office of your college, as well as the department you graduated from -- they may be able to point you towards some ways to find other museum related jobs.

Good luck.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-10-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 09:08 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,584,523 times
Anthropology is one of those majors which does not easily lead to jobs. As a student, I worked in the Anthropology Dept office at UC Santa Barbara. I remember that the graduate students, both Masters and Ph.D, had difficulty finding jobs and some didn't.

I know someone who has a professional position in a museum. He has a Ph.D in History, which is another major where jobs aren't very plentiful.

You may enjoy living in Ventura. It is about 30 min from Santa Barbara, has an interesting Main Street, and a lovely beach. The weather is warm but not hot all year long, and it is considerably more affordable than Santa Barbara.

Last edited by Harpaint; 02-10-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California